Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 8:38:09 AM EDT
So I was talking to a relative a few days ago and they mentioned that even though you can use your check card like a visa, its still better not to, if your unsure of the merchant etc...or just want to be safer while traveling.  Better to just use a regular credit card since if the card number gets stolen, then Visa or the issuing bank is responsible and the badguy cant deplete your checking account.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you just come out from under a rock?

Edit- Perhaps that was rude of me. I guess it possible that you have not seen the reports of several of national retailers being hacked and card info stolen. That being said, yes, you are much better off using a credit card instead of s debit card.

While "most" banks will replace monies lost due to fraudulent use on a debit card, that money will not be returned immediately. Some banks will return it within a day, others take weeks. With credit card fraud, you will not be out any money from your account.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a no brainer.

Use credit card and payoff each month.
Use 2 step authentication when available (they text you a code to enter)
Call each credit bureau and have them freeze your credit

Do this and you are way ahead of the rest of society.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Always pay off the balance every month (well mostly), but I occasionally want to pre-allocate monthly "discretionary" spending funds into the checking account that is linked with the ATM Visa card.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Use your credit card to shield your bank account from card fraud. Plus, you can make 1-1.5% cash back with a credit card. My card balance is paid in full from my bank account every bill. I make money by using a credit card.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a no brainer.

Use credit card and payoff each month.
Use 2 step authentication when available (they text you a code to enter)
Call each credit bureau and have them freeze your credit

Do this and you are way ahead of the rest of society.
View Quote

Ive never heard of the availability of this 2-step authentication.  Will check into it, thanks.
Will freezing your credit stop someone from taking out a new account, yet not harm your ability to purchase or do business with the credit you already have?

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes. When you need to apply for credit just unfreeze for a week and then it will go back frozen after the time you specify.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top