Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 7:41:12 PM EDT
I'm planning to move to Canada next summer to work as an RN above the Arctic Circle... for the money.

Will I have to pay income tax in Canada and the US since I'm still a US citizen?

If it makes a difference, I'm planning to move sometime around June or July, so I would be in the US for 6 months prior to leaving.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the US taxes worldwide income.  So you'll pay US and Canadian taxes.

The good part is that the US and Canada have a tax treaty, so you'll only pay US taxes if they are higher than Canadian taxes (which they might be depending on where in Canada you work).

You'll have to look into the residency issue.  There may be specific rules about how taxes are calculated based on how long you resided in Canada.

RF
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated above, you will pay Canadian income tax, then you file your US federal income tax and you can apply the payment you made to the Canadian Government as a credit towards US taxes owed.

I'm not sure on the nuances of residency, but I have a feeling it doesn't matter because regardless you are a US citizen and do not have dual citizenship (I assume).
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As stated above, you will pay Canadian income tax, then you file your US federal income tax and you can apply the payment you made to the Canadian Government as a credit towards US taxes owed.

I'm not sure on the nuances of residency, but I have a feeling it doesn't matter because regardless you are a US citizen and do not have dual citizenship (I assume).
View Quote

So how would dual citizenship change this? That is the long term goal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
here's the official details:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayers-Living-Abroad
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top