Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:11 PM EDT
Amazon used to be my go to for pretty much everything. I could occasionally get something cheaper in the store at Walmart, but lately Amazon has been matching Walmart's prices, to the penny, for just about everything. My question is in the long run how is this strategy going to play out? Amazon has to eat shipping charges and remain profitable. The prices that walmart posts includes any transportation related expenses to the point of distribution and the final mile cost is passed onto the buyer indirectly.

These two obviously have market analysts and economists working on squeezing every last penny from every sale. Who do you think is overall more profitable? If amazon and walmart are both selling a camera for $50, which one is making the most profit? What do you think that percentage of profit is?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Letting complete strangers into your business gets expensive.  Allowing only employees in is cheaper.  Shipping vs. lawsuit settlements, I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazon makes more profit per item.  WalMart sells more items.  BestBuy is left out in the cold.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Amazon used to be my go to for pretty much everything. I could occasionally get something cheaper in the store at Walmart, but lately Amazon has been matching Walmart's prices, to the penny, for just about everything. My question is in the long run how is this strategy going to play out? Amazon has to eat shipping charges and remain profitable. The prices that walmart posts includes any transportation related expenses to the point of distribution and the final mile cost is passed onto the buyer indirectly.

These two obviously have market analysts and economists working on squeezing every last penny from every sale. Who do you think is overall more profitable? If amazon and walmart are both selling a camera for $50, which one is making the most profit? What do you think that percentage of profit is?
View Quote

Walmart spends more money getting the product to the customer even if it is sitting in one of the superstores.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If amazon and walmart are both selling a camera for $50, which one is making the most profit?
View Quote

Amazon.

They have to ship it to you but I bet that is cheaper than maintaining a store front open to the public many of which are in high real estate cost areas.

I have often wondered what a wal mart's costs are to be open per 24 hour period. Electricity, wages, etc.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon hasn't even figured out to be continuously profitable yet. They posted a loss for Q2 2014, Q3 2013 and FY2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AMZN
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazon hasn't even figured out to be continuously profitable yet. They posted a loss for Q2 2014, Q3 2013 and FY2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AMZN
View Quote

thats what it may look like from the OUTSIDE of the organization.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top