BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By ajm1911:

Originally Posted By DandaMan:
Does any one have NSN's for SAW accessories, specifically the collapsible stock and short barrel.

I will be leaving for Iraq this fall and I found out our platoon will have an unlimited budget starting this fiscal year. I've been told we can get anything we want to trick out our weapons. I've searched everywhere and can't find any NSN's.

Please help me ou here guys.

Actually any weapon accessories NSN's would be great!

Be really careful as the memo forbidding unauthorized weapons modifications came out last month and specifically addressed modding SAWS

Memo from who and adressing what specifically?? The SAW modifications of the coll. buttstock, fwd rail system and short Bbl are ALL DoD approved, the rail system feed tray cover is an MWO (IIRC) to be applied to ALL M249's deploying to theater.

FWIW, I helped install my Bn's M249 Rail Modified feed tray covers with the folks from Rock Island. The Buttstocks, fwd rail systems and Bbls were issued to the companies through a bulk BDE level RFI issue. I received our Surefires, new bbl bags and some other goodies in this manner as well.

Most everything you can get in the system is in the M249 -23&P and the same hold for the M-16A2/4-M4/A1 -23&P as far as rail systems, mounts, ect.

Tac slings, wpns mounted mag pouches, and 100 rnd SAW asslt packs were all purchsed by BDE and issued through RFI.

MOST ALL of this stuff can be issued through the Small Arms Repair Center in Balad once you are in theater. You have to have an account (Sig card w/UIC & DODAAC, copy of Cmdr's assumption of Cmd letter) and call ahead to check on hand availibility, but those guys will bend over backwards to help you out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Recommendations based one what I wished I had because what I had was crap:

- better sling than a standard "parade" sling. I just rigged mine with some 550 cord but a "tactical" sling would have been nicer to have.

- a better ruck than an ALICE pack or CFP-90. I had a CFP-90 and a Piper Gear.
The CFP-90 is nice if you don't need to have any sort of organization of your stuff.
For my purposes I needed to be able to pack things in a way that would allow me to get to them at any given time without rifling through it or dumping the contents on the ground.  
The Piper worked ok, but it's not a pack I liked using because it's "cheap". I reinforced parts of it I expected to break and had no problems but I'd have preferred the Kifaru Marauder I have now.

- Rifle Optics. Any kind would have been better than nothing. My unit later deployed with Aimpoints, so they learned from the previous shortcoming.

- Velcro uniform. We had all of our patches, badges, and name tags sewn on prior to deploying, had to take them off when we got there, and sewn back on later... it was the stupidest thing ever.

- Surefire or equivalently bright flashlight. A AA powered Mag Light isn't worth a shit. Bring extrabatteries or have your supply section order a case or five.

- A Camelback if you don't always need a large ruck everywhere you're going. Had one and couldn't have been happier with it.

- Camera... anything to take pictures with. Document your trip. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A question for those of you that have voiced your concerns regarding your unit's trainup cycle. Did you and/or your chain-of-command have an opportunity to supply your feedback to the units providing the training?

Link Posted: 10/17/2005 4:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt45] [#6]
(Gotta fix this Class-III mouse)
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Hoplite:
ANother lesson learned, know where MAtt45 is in theater.  he is the king of hookups

Hoppy hooked me up just as much as I helped his unit out. Don't let him fool ya.

DON'T be afraid to make connections and hookups through ARFCom. While Hoplite, myself and a few others were there, we all mutually assisted one another, with items both in and out of normal supply channels. It's well worth it to meet and greet some folks with whom you have a common bond other than through the military, and especially so once you start meeting folks from other branches of Svc, major commands, or from different MOS's.

Let me "say" that again.

Matt

Pathfinder-
As with anything else, my mileage varied- Some of the items you listed we recieved before leaving the states.
I was issued a MOLLE ruck and Asslt pack at RFI, 2 mos before arriving in theater- One or the other satisfied all of my needs, but I also didn't have to live out of it much.
Rifle Optics- All had M68 Aimpoints, 3 in each Plt had x3 Pwr
Surefires were issued in Kuwait, but recieved by ourt Co. supply at RFI in the States.
A Camelback was issued with the MOLLE ruck, my Bn S4 ordered one "mule" per Joe, but we didn't get that until past mid-tour. (I also didn't use mine, we made sure to have one or more cooler per truck, and relied on bottled water, the bottle fits in the MOLLE canteen pouch.)

In additon, each Joe was issued a Gerber, later we recieved Mini Gator w/2 1/2" blade, a full size Gator 3" blade. We recieved a small amount of Leatherman Waves, but the rest were....missing, just like our Benchmade Auto knives....now I wonder where these went?? (!@#$%^&*REMFs...)

Link Posted: 10/17/2005 10:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#8]
Ya, I wonder, since you got one  and God knows the BN Chaplain needed a Benchmade combat knife. But thats water under the bridge.
Yes, bring a laptop or you will be very bored, have family send reading material regularly. Canned air for the laptop and keep it covered when not in use.
Good knee-pads if your a door-kicker and some good ammo pouch's(i recommend TacTailor).
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
HEY BRING SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN DO ON YOUR DOWN TIME EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T GET MUCH OF THE BUT WHEN YOU DO HAVE SOMETHING NOT MILITARY STUFF TO DO GET A GOOD COMPUTER OR SOMTHING TO WATCH MOVIES ON BECAUSE MOST THE IRAQI PEOPLE SELL THE 5 DOLLAR MOVIE THAT IS STILL IN THE MOVIES BACK IN THE STATES THEY CAN SUCK BUT IT WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DO...WHEN YOU GO TO BUY STUFF FROM THOSE DIRTY PEOPLE TALK THEM DOWN ON EVERYTHING THEY WILL SELL YOU ANYTHING .....AND I SAW ON ONE THREAD BABY WIPES AND STUFF THAT PEOPLE SEND YOU FROM HOME MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN A DIFFERNT  PACKAGE THEN FOOD THE BABY WIPE TASTE IN FOOD REALLY SUCKS .....BE SAFE
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Does any one have NSN's for SAW accessories, specifically the collapsible stock and short barrel.

Anyone have these?  I'd really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Mugwump:

Anyone have these?  I'd really appreciate it.

i've got the nsn for the m5 collapsible buttstock on my home computer,i'll try to get it tonight.short barrel,not sure. put up a list of nsn's you want,and i'll see if i happen to have any of them floating around
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Do everything you can to get rid of your Operations Sergeant Major, if you have one; He's nothing but an empty uniform sucking up time and government money, and your unit will NOT miss him if he's anything like ours...

As to gear, get with the guys who are over here and see what works before you buy.

Two more months!

I'm short!

Later!

SPC Hatten
                              1/198AR
                               155BCT
                                MSARNG
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]

I will be leaving for Iraq this fall and I found out our platoon will have an unlimited budget starting this fiscal year. I've been told we can get anything we want to trick out our weapons. I've searched everywhere and can't find any NSN's.

Please help me ou here guys.

i'm not sure about the short barrel,but the nomenclature/nsn for the collapsible saw stock is as follows:

Stock,gun,shoulder:M5
SMR:PACFF
NSN:1005-01-411-1264
Part#:12956141

hope it helps
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Again the same for all with the train up issues was the same for my unit.  Trained at Camp Shelby and CHECKED THE BOX just like everyone else.  I am with a Infantry NG unit.  We have been in country now for 3 months.  Lost 2 guys from our company in the first 2 weeks here.  I will tell you that all of the training back home can't amount to 1 month in country.  You can see power points, hear lectures, and listen to all the old crusty NCO's you want to, but 1 month in the sand and you start to know what's going on.  Just keep your head down, call up all info as soon as it happens, and whatever you do always keep account of everyone and everything that is going on.  If it seems out of place or looks out of place stop, slow down, and figure out what it is.  You are not going anywere for a while and there is no reason to hurry and make mistakes over here.  Make them back at home station.  Not in the sand.  It's unforgiving over here.  

For gear:  DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BACK AT HOME.  Wait for the RFI or supply over here.  There is so much stuff you can get here or order on-line.  See what actual deployed soldiers use when you get to where you are going.  But if you NEED to buy something.  Buy a good flashlight (Surefire for MOUT, and a LED headlamp for camp), Good M16 mag pouches, Good small fixed blade knife, good blastic sunglasses, and anything else to keep you busy off missions.  Movies sell cheap over here.  Cigs and Cigars are cheap.  Bring a Laptop or a portable DVD player.  Everything else can be bought in country or shipped by family members when you get here.  

Just make sure you get the training in Commo, Combat Life Saver, and Shoot, Shoot, and Shoot more.  Ask your chain to get you on the range with every weapon system in your MTOE.  You want to be trained in every personal and crew served weapon in your Battalion.  Remeber it may only be 1% chance that you may actually have to fire your weapon, but if it's not clean and you don't know shit about it, well than that's your ass.

Good luck.

Sgt Z
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
With multiple uniforms and colors of IBAS, try to get it where it matches your uniform whether ACU or DCU. Some insurgents target the lighter armored parts of the IBA and are quite good at it. The color contrast helps them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtstinger] [#17]
No longer on active duty(got out of the Army in '98), but I've been working as a civilian contractor in Kuwait sinc May of '05. Most of it outside in the heat/cold/wind/sand...

I don't need high speed tactical gear or weapon accessories, but after being here for a while I have picked up on a couple of things that work.

Socks- I'm required to wear steel-toe safety boots on the job, which get REALLY hot. I spend a lot of time on my feet as well. I've found the most comfortable socks to be the lightweight polypropolene ones they sell at hiking/camping stores. They breath very well. Also, make sure they extend up out of your boot at least 2 or 3 inches and they'll do a good job of wicking moisture away from your feet and keeping them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Let's face it..."swamp-foot" sucks!

Camelbacks- Some people like them, some don't. I always have a cooler of cool bottled water nearby so I don't bother carrying a Camelback. My crew of TCN'c(Indians in this case...) don't always have access to coolers of water, so they LOVE Camelbacks. I pulled a few strings to get some "excess" ones "donated" to them...

Pocket Tools and Flashlights- Never go anywhere without a Leatherman tool or Gerber Multi-Plier of some sort and a small flashlight or "pinch-light". You'll need/use them at the most unexpected times. I have a small belt pouch(Nite-Ize  Pock-Its brand) that I carry a Gerber Multi-Plier(not the fanciest, but it's what I'm used to using and it works good enough for me) and Mag-Lite 2 "AA" flashlight in. I also have a Nova "pinch-light" on my ID badge lanyard.

Gloves- I've used a wide variety of gloves so far, from Army-issue leather work gloves(crude & uncomfortable but effective...) to Nomex flight gloves(too lightweight for the kind of work I sometimes must do). My favorites have been a pair of Hatch "Operators" that were given to me. They're the standard long version and I have been really happy with them for work use. They're showing some wear, but they should hold together until it's time for me to head home in early May. During the hot part of the Summer I wish I had a short pair, but I can't really complain considering that I got mine for free. Again, I'm not in a "tactical" situation but I appreciate well made gear.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok I am in a support role, IE NVG repair so it is my 2C

Gloves, as stated aboueve I love the Htach Operator gloves, they are not cheap, $32 hwere in Baghdad but mine have held up all tour  andnd I only have to bring em to alterantiosn once to fix two small holes, tyou dont feel the heat with these gloves and my hands never sweated with em on.

Screw maglights, I have a Surefire G2Z and it is the best. the PX here stocks batteries but they are not always in stock. Right now I have 4 packs of batteries, 48 of them. PX sells a 12 pack for $17 bucks.

I prefere my Leatherman wave as I feel is better built than gerbers. I use it every day and the wear and tear shows.

My dad gave me a nice SS beretta knife when I took R&R. I so wish i had gotten a better one like that when I first got here. A lot of guys had K bars and the like.

Ammo pouches, they ones at the PX are crap, I wasent isseued any nor would my supply sustem order any so i bought my own. I swear by battlelab pouches sold by Diamondback Tactical. I had to wait a very long time for some of my pouches to due supply and demand. I jsut saw that they shipped my E&E bag after a 15 week delay, not there fault, they told me before I ordered it.

I have lots of down time so my MP3 player is worth more than gold. Mine hold 512MB and it has an FM tuner so I can listen to AFN Iraq.  Make sure to bring extra headphones though, buy cheap ones.

Alas, these MoFo are pulling some last minute detail crap again and guess what, I have to do it.

85 more days.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
While I did not serve in the US military or in Iraq, I did serve in the IDF in a combat unit.  Tactical advice is tactical advice and everything here is great!  One thing I would like to add as a comfort trick:  Vasaline and Q-tips!  The air in the middle east is dryer than dry and the inside of your nose will dry up, crack and start bleeding.  Put a little Vaseline on a Q-tip and swab the inside surface of each nostril.  This will keep it nice and moist and alleviate the discomfort.  IT will attract some dust/ fine sand (especially if you deploy from helicopters), so keep a small container of it with some Qtips on you to redo it as needed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much everyone in my unit including me is a gear queer so I have a few things to say here.

I have a lot of stuff from TAG (Tactical Assault Gear).  I have some BDS/SOE gear and a few Blackhawk things.

-The enhanced 9mm mag pouches are great because they have magnets in them. They are strong enough to hold a mag on the outside of the pouch while you walk around. They are also the perfect size for a surefire G2 or 6P.

-The M16 mag pouches are far better than issue gear. When outside the wire tuck the top inside the pouch and you'll have quick and easy access to your mags, again no worry about them falling out. I have both TAG and Balckhawk pouches. The MOLLE webbing attachments on the TAG gear is much better than the Blackhawk. Not that the Blackhawk would fall off, but the TAG is just better, and that reflects and overall higher attention to detail IMO.

-Depending on your job consider a drop leg platform. Mag pouches, etc are much more accessible there than on the chest. Especially in the prone when you're trying to stay low.

-Safariland drop holster for the 9mm - outstanding piece of gear but the springs can wear after a few years.

-Gemtech lanyard for the 9mm, outstanding. Regardless of brand, get a lanyard, better than fishing that 9 mil out of the portajohn.

-I have a simple H-harness from BDS tactical in oceanside, ca, and a duty belt from TAG. Drop holster on the right, drop leg platform on the right with 4 M16 mags and 2 9mm mags plus 2 grenade pouches at the bottom. Drop pouch for mags or random items I want to take from different places on left rear. My flak goes over it and everything works well for me. I have no problems running, jumping, etc.

-Gloves - Damascus nomex are great. They last for years. They'll get dirty but they will last. DO NOT cut the fingers out, they are nomex for a reason.

-Flashlights - I have too many (surefires). I have a G2, a 6P, a 9P, an M3, and an A2. The M3 is on my M4, the A2 in my pocket, the G2 and 6Ps are in my medbags. The 9P is a backup for the M3. If I had to choose one and wasn't going to mount it on a weapon I would buy the A2. LEDs for long runtime but also has a powerful regular beam as well, if you want to turn it on. Best bang for the buck is the 6P. 9P is the same thing but more powerful. The M3 is just overkill. I have also owned several L2s, they are outstanding flashlights and are a bit cheaper than the A2. Still a lot of money for junior enlisted.

-Knives - I have 2 Emersons, 2 Benchmades, and a Buck. Plus the armory gave me a Kabar AND a Bayonet. Those 2 are pieces of crap. The emersons are great but the finish comes off easily. The Benchmade I have is the Skirmish, with BenchKote on the blade and handle. It doesn't chip off like the Emerson coating. For cutting 550 cord, clothing, etc buy a Benchmade Rescue Hook, nothing cuts 550 cord like it. Or clothing, for that matter. Benchmades are easier to find, too. Get a coated one with a 154CM or S30V blade.

-Boots. I have 2 sets of Magnum Amazons. They are great, and the cheapest name brand I found. Oakleys and Converses are good for limited use but come apart under day after day pounding.

-Enetertainment. PSP. Enough said. Books are plentiful everywhere I've been.

- I don't smoke, but stateside Marlboros are powerful bargaining tools.

-Glasses. Your BAS/RAS/medical people should be able to get you those. ESS goggles are great, the glasses give me double vision with prescription inserts in.

-Sling. 3 point or single point. Single point not so good for me because sometimes I need the rifle behind me to work on casualties. Make sure you get the right sling - M4 and M16 are different. shocking! But sometimes the armory screws with you and gives you an M16A4 then an M4. Thats another story...

I will think of more stuff later...Tango Down grips are indeed great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By bigsapper:
A question for those of you that have voiced your concerns regarding your unit's trainup cycle. Did you and/or your chain-of-command have an opportunity to supply your feedback to the units providing the training?

Originally Posted By GulDuCal:
Our unit training at Fort Benning (of all places) was a total fiasco.  It was simply training to fill in a check box, rather than "BATTLE-FOCUSED" training.  We had a bunch of FOBbit signal corps idiots wearing the "acorn" patch, acting as if they were drill instructors rather than OC's.  Instead of focusing on mission essential tasks, it seemed they mainly emphasized how to conduct FPOC/guard duty and how to run and hide from their artillery simulators, rather than how to operate effectively outside a FOB.  That USAR training unit wasn't particularly helpful at all.  As opposed to being a facilitator of training, they were in fact a hinderance to training.

Ugh, we had a similar group of acorn-wearing morons (Training Support Battalion) conducting our train-up at Fort Stewart, GA. Official line to the media and families was that we were conducting "rigorous battle-focused training" using actual TTPs currently used in theater. Reality was that if we even finally got to the training (COUNTLESS times training was cancelled, moved without notice, rescheduled, conflicted with something else, etc etc), the training was conducted to check-the-block standards, by the acorn guys with a self-admitted primary goal of going home (apparently it was their last training cycle of that mobilization). In more than one cases the training they provided was simply WRONG (medical and commo comes to mind). I would have LOVED to have provided feedback on these guys, but to my knowledge nobody in the unit was ever asked.

My biggest piece of advice would be to soak up EVERYTHING possible from the unit that you replace during RIP/TOA - find out what works for them, what doesn't, and then modify it based on your individual/unit experience and needs. Additionally, as some other posters have said, wait until you get in-country to figure out what crap (gear, MWR items, etc) you need - I've had good luck ordering stuff online from the likes of Blackhawk, Newegg, and Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USRECONMC] [#22]
geez i am so sick of AAR's.......now that i vented on the thread topic, I'll go read it and try and contribute to yet ANOTHER AAR

ok, read 1st page, real good stuff there...seems that the important things and basics have been covered.

No matter what you do or bring...it sucks.  My only advice (as a Platoon Leader) is this:  when your sucking real bad and need to reassure yourself and your competence....just look at everyone else sucking and try and find someone who's sucking worse than you.  I literally rucked the skin off of my feet and in some places down to the flesh as a Ranger PL in the 'Stan.  I couldnt tell you how many times i wanted to just fall to the sand and freaking give up.  I was the mother-fraggen PL and there was no way in hell I could have fallen out w/o the platoon sustaing SEVERE moral damage.  

Seemed that I was always dehydrated and when something could go wrong, it did.  We had stuff when we didnt need it and didnt have enough "stuff" when we did need it.  Ass-backwards I tell ya.

Ohh, another piece of advice....the Army loves to say this one...DRINK WATER!  

For you recruits who are joining soon.....take basic training seriously.  the "stupid" AND I MEAN "STOOOOPID" shit that your Drill SGT's are going to have you doing is for a reason.  It is to instill discpline into you guys.  I am on a training post now...Ft. Leonard Wood and know quite a few DS's here.  These guys want you to succeed and make the mission.  You are going to hate them.....that's the way it's supposed to be.  If you like them, they haven't done there job.  However, one day when your ass is patrolling the mountains of the 'Stan you will think back and understand what it was all about.  If you're lucky you will go to Benning (home of the infantry) where basic training is considered "harder".  

I guess I'm just rambling, hope this can help someone.

Ohh 70% of you newbies going through will be in theatre within a year.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Try and have a CLS in each gun truck if you see alot of road time. It might be a little while before a medic can get to that truck if it was just hit by an ied and you are in an ambush.

You will l learn that there is not too much you can do about the mosuitoes.

Don't keep asking battalion to have a CC route  flown over residentail areas  instead of just MSR's and ASR's. The remf's tend to think of you as crazy, inhumane, or you need to see the wizards.

Gunners get down when you are at an overpass, don't start clearing it 10m away, start further back so you can be down before the ied goes off.

When you are halted, 5/25's always, always,always!

Commo training- make sure all your people can use an ancd. Fills can be lost, radios get off time.

Don't ever straddle a pot hole in the road and definitely not any animal carcasses.

Watch for boxes and other objects in the road as they may not be the ied, they can be used as a channeling device to bring you closer when you avoid such items.

Trash is everwhere, especially water bottles. They get dusty or mud dries on them, through nvg's it will look like a round. WAtch this cause what you think is water bottle could be a wired round.

Always carry pogey bait in the trucks. If you are on a cordon for awhile or doing rs or rre, it can get hungry and tiring for your people.

Leadership- take care of your people and they will take care of you.

Everyone stay safe and don't  take any chances.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If you get bored, go find the SF 18B guys. They can talk intelligently about guns and they have cool toys. Maybe even extra KAC stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:12:42 AM EDT
[#25]
hmm very intresting to hear everyones sugestions. I was over there for OIF 1 and three monthes of OIF 2. The whole time was spent in a tent and first six monthes had no AC. I hear they pretty much fixed that problem. Riddle me this what is Hauge Ice?

I found that if you took a garlic viatmin once a day it helped with the sand fleas. As for camel backs. If you are on foot patrol alot they are nice. I found that I would empty one faster then I could fill it. funny how you can drink so much water and not urinate.

As for the nice to haves. If your supply sarg is worth a damn they should be able to get anything you can imagine. It's just getting them to everyone. My experience has been they only hook up the select. You do know all those goodies they trade among themselves were bought with their money. The old saying supply, motors, and mess will make you or break you. so don't piss them off. If your supply sergeant doesn't know what they are doing. Get them trained. My supply was broke over there.

Remember that if its really quiet and the kids are sparse watch out. Watch the feet also. The average person over there does not wear boots. I'm a mechanic so I will also preach about checking you vehicles. Take care of them you might need it to un ass a kill zone in a hurry. I know the name of the game for convoys has changed. We stayed on our side of the road respected other drivers even the civilians. We just did it and seventy five mile per. Not the 45 that oif  2 was doing when I left. forcing all vehicles off the road when moving.

Final advice. If your a supply convoy your mission is to get the stuf to the war fighters. Don't stop and engage. Un ass the kill zone with cover fire. Every soul that deployed with us came home. Two million miles traveled.

Stay safe all of you over there and yet to go.

ps good job drink plenty of water.. then drink some more...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#26]

I was part of OEF in afghanistan for a year,
The number one things i used overthere outside the wire and inside were,

- drop leg holster (make sure to spend the money the  conditions there and ur missions will tear up a cheap one, i learned the hard way.)

- winter / summer underarmour (the thick winter ones worked great and stuck right to you so you dont have a big untactical thing on you like gortex etc.)

- molle attachments for your IBA (i never was issued any while some of the guys i was with were i just didnt get lucky, i would have ordered a M249 pouch and two M16 pouches before i left if i knew)

- one set of tight thin tactical gloves (ones the fit like a second skin, because they will issue you thicker ones)

These things were what i used pretty much everyday no matter what the mission.

Dont buy to much stuff before you leave, i bought plenty of things with those nice checks coming in and didnt use half of it.

Just my two cents      
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Man, I'm jealous of you guys and your cool toys.  Being lowly reserve trans blows when it comes to getting gear.  We didn't have a single M4 or A4 in the entire unit, no optics (each platoon had maybe one night scope for the SAW's), and we'd have one set of NVG's per truck.

Just about everything's been said already, so I'll just reiterate what I think the three most important points are.

1. Commo training.  Everyone should know how to fill and use the radios, including what the freq's and call signs are for all the units in your AO.
2. Medical training.  250 people in our company and not a single medic, so just about everyone was CLS qualified.
3. Training on all weapons.  Some genius thought it would be a good idea to only have two people in my platoon qualified on the Mk19.  Those same two guys were gone within the first few months for medical/family reasons.  After that we resorted to using anyone that thought they had a clue.  There were a few missions I ended up with a rickety M60 that looked like it'd been through 'Nam, even though I'd never even held a 60 before that.

I really don't have much to add to what's already been said, unless anyone has questions about the PLS
Seriously though, I've got nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Can't stress enough the Medic training.  Our guys are all CLS qualed, and GC4 qualed.  GC4 is a lifesaver, LEARNIT.  I medic will thank you for making his job simpler.  

Ditch the ACOG and give it to a scout.  I can't tell you the number of times my guys haven't been able to observe the targets, and when we got back, the Brigade commander was sitting there with his rifle on kill and his ACOG on his new unfired M4.  PUSH your hooah gear to the line.  As the S2, I can tell you, we staff DO NOT NEED IT.

This is more of a Garrisuck thing, but don't fuck over the staff.  You skip the paper work in the rear, and your guys don't get radios in country, or food doesn't get delivered.  Doing paperwork sucks, and takes time from ranges, but get it done once, and you won't have to worry later.  

CAMERA CAMERA CAMERA!!!!  BUY a camera for christs sake, and learn detainie ops.  It makes the intel guys love you, (Helps us find the enemy) if you give pictures of people you meet in the village.  ID contacts, helpful villagers, and make sure you get their names and pics, a face with no name doesn't help anyone.  Also helps us to build a database of whos in our AO.

And to all the Private Contractor security civilians, if the Military shows up, take your hands off your weapon, and identify yourself.  The number 2 biggest killer of you guys, is US(Military).  
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I did some time back in 2003.  A few things worked really well for me:

Fixed blade knife: Gerber LMF.  An original 1990's model.  Great knife, I've since replaced it with the new LMF II and like that one just as well.

Folding knife:  Benchmade Auto.  Get ahold of at least 1 of these.  This is the best folder I've ever used.

Multi-tool: Gerber Legend.  I got it shortly before deployment in early '03 and it is still going strong.  Great tool, much better than the issue Gerber.

Beef Jerky.  Nuff said.

Chew.  I could get Skoal sometimes, but I chewed Kodiak Ice.  Find a source stateside and have them ship you a fresh log every week or two.

Books.  Rather than waste away playing video games, I read books a lot.  Military type books, classics, whatever.  My Dad sent me stuff he read when he was on a submarine in the 70's and I loved it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Nurps:
Man, I'm jealous of you guys and your cool toys.  Being lowly reserve trans blows when it comes to getting gear.  We didn't have a single M4 or A4 in the entire unit, no optics (each platoon had maybe one night scope for the SAW's), and we'd have one set of NVG's per truck.

A recommendation: Try to get to know an active duty HHC / HHT / HHB commander, 1SG, armorer, or supply sergeant and develop a good relationship to where they will support you with things that you need for the fight.  I spent 9 months as an HHT commander in Iraq, and I had a lot of excess equipment on my books.  I had an average of about 200 Soldiers assigned or attached to my Troop, but only about 30-40 of them went outside the wire on a regular basis.  Which meant that I had stacks of M16s, PVS-7s, Pluggers, and other gear sitting in the arms room.  My Scouts and other people outside the wire mainly used M4s and PVS-14s, so the other stuff stayed locked up.  My guys trained with the stuff and maintained it, but rarely needed to sign it out unless we were participating in a major operation.

I would have been happy to sign over NVGs to a unit that was hurting for equipment.  I routinely had everything from PVS-7s to cal .50s to ammo to radios signed over to attachments and other units during the deployment.

Originally Posted By Harder:
Ditch the ACOG and give it to a scout.  I can't tell you the number of times my guys haven't been able to observe the targets, and when we got back, the Brigade commander was sitting there with his rifle on kill and his ACOG on his new unfired M4.  PUSH your hooah gear to the line.  As the S2, I can tell you, we staff DO NOT NEED IT.

I agree wholeheartedly - I saw quite a few Commanders and XOs who put ACOGs on their M4s just because they could.  Most of them don't have time to get to the range to familiarize themselves with the optics, and as most people know, unless you really train with the equipment, you're better off just having regular iron sights.

Another point - make damn sure your people check their optics at the range regularly.  I saw some of our sights lose their zero completely in the course of a month or two from being carried every day and bumping around in HMMWVs.  Many of my Scouts took their ACOGs and M68s off their weapons because they lost confidence in their ability to maintain their zero, but if you take them to the range and confirm / re-zero them regularly, you'll be fine.  One of our ACOGs was so far off that we had to put up a large qualification target with the zero target in the middle just to see where it was hitting and bring it back on the zero paper.

An admin lesson-learned that's not related to gear:  before you deploy, make a complete list of who each of your Soldiers claims as their parent / guardian / whatever under the in loco parentis guidelines.  When someone has a relative pass away, their immediate, natural reaction is to ask for emergency leave to go home for the funeral.  The only way a Commander can authorize the leave if the relative isn't immediate family (father / mother / brother / sister / spouse / child) is if the relative took a direct role in raising them.  For example, if the Soldier's parents died and the grandparents took over the role of raising the Soldier when he / she was young, then the grandparents have in loco parentis status.  Have each of your Soldiers submit the names of anyone who helped raise them, and have them provide some sort of documentation, so that when their aunt, who lived across the street from them when they were little, passes away, it's not a huge emotional event to try to figure out whether or not you can send them home on emergency leave.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#31]
i can only second many things that have been said here. but i will say that make contacts with the people on the FOB or Camp you are at. it works great. i have used them quite a bit and the support i have recieved from them is superb.

get a surefire light they are great for night ops.

i will say this get the gear you want before you leave if you have the time to do so. there is so much out there. the best thing to do when you get here is listen to the guys who have been there for a while they know alot about the AO they are in.

best of luck to those coming here. our job is getting tougher everyday.
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I got this list from Hoplite awhile ago. Should still be current.

Here are some NSN's. A pretty thorough list actually. All items should be classified as expendable - but it wouldn't hurt to check. Be careful in practice with this list - a lot of very useful NSN's but use discretion in what you order and how much. With most units, an item hits the MURF at $500 - meaning they start to question or look at orders more at that point. You may be ordering something for a perfectly legitimate mission related purpose but once it goes over $500 or whatever the MURF amount is - orders may get cancelled. I'm not a 92A - but it pays to be in the their good graces. An SSA can get any of these items with ease. A 92Y can order just about any of these items but at some point it has to go through a 92A - so friends are good. Beta Co also has a website with NSN#'s. Night Vision Equipment Company has a ton of useful NSN equipment ( not necessarily night vision - they carry other items as well). Also, ARMS Co. which makes the new SIR - yep, they have a website as well - call and request a military catalog - they'll mail one to your APO with current NSN's. Hope this helps and best of luck.

100 rnd C-MAG 1005-01-360-4862 ( Its not in every version of FEDLOG so some NSN items might have to have all information inputted manually - you can find anything you need about the product at FEDLOG Online. )
Olive Drab Carrying Pouch 1005-01-363-3776 Black C-Mag Carry Pouch 1005-01-363-0207 Desert Camo Carry Pouch 1005-01-363-3777
C-Mag Blank Adapter Kit - 1005-01-363-6689
C-Mag Speedloader 1005-01-363-0199
C-MAg Personal Loader 1005-01-363-0200
AN/PVS-7B New Style Kevlar Mount -5855- 01-457-2953
New Style AN/PVS-7B
Carry Case 5855-01-398-4284
Gerber Road Tool Kit - 5180-01-457-5621 ( good for TMP's, HUMMV's,etc includes Mag Light, Gerber Multi-Tool, Gerber Hatchet, Small First Aid Kit, and Gerber Saw in a black carry case)
Mag Light Flashlight - 6230-01-291-7531
Versalight 6230-01-413-8296
Gore Tex Water Repellence - 8030-01-408-9446
Remote Control Sincgars Handset - 5895-01-432-8370
M-4 Carbine Sling - 1005-01-368-9852
Benchmade Switchblade 5110-00-526-8740
Gerber Applegate/Fairbain Combat Folder 5110
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#33]
  Things that work- chapstick, 1 for your lips and 1 for your nose! try not to mix them up.           Anti persperent for your crotch, it helps with monkey butt and if your a gunner, the other guys in the truck will thank you!    The black socks you can buy at wal-mart, 12 pair for like 5 bucks, they work just fine.   Mechanic gloves work good too, or the flight gloves, your weapon will get hot just sitting there.      If your working on your vehicle, using loud equipment wear your damn ear protection, if your outside the wire on patrol, forget about it.  
    Did we mention Commo training enough? That includes 9-line, lace reports etc.  Try to get ahold of some of the hemo-stat powder/bricks, we have used them, they work. The israili tournequit, get some, share the wealth.  A metal chair with a hole in it, on missions you won't have the nice smelly porta-crappers, and it is much better than an MRE box with a hole in it.  Belive it or not, a hatchet. works great for a hammer or a hillbilly tool, I've used it to remove a broken stud when we had a HUMMV tire blasted. (do not try to go Apache on anyone, you'll get beat up)
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
I got this list from Hoplite awhile ago. Should still be current.

Here are some NSN's. A pretty thorough list actually. All items should be classified as expendable - but it wouldn't hurt to check. Be careful in practice with this list - a lot of very useful NSN's but use discretion in what you order and how much. With most units, an item hits the MURF at $500 - meaning they start to question or look at orders more at that point. You may be ordering something for a perfectly legitimate mission related purpose but once it goes over $500 or whatever the MURF amount is - orders may get cancelled. I'm not a 92A - but it pays to be in the their good graces. An SSA can get any of these items with ease. A 92Y can order just about any of these items but at some point it has to go through a 92A - so friends are good. Beta Co also has a website with NSN#'s. Night Vision Equipment Company has a ton of useful NSN equipment ( not necessarily night vision - they carry other items as well). Also, ARMS Co. which makes the new SIR - yep, they have a website as well - call and request a military catalog - they'll mail one to your APO with current NSN's. Hope this helps and best of luck.

100 rnd C-MAG 1005-01-360-4862 ( Its not in every version of FEDLOG so some NSN items might have to have all information inputted manually - you can find anything you need about the product at FEDLOG Online. )
Olive Drab Carrying Pouch 1005-01-363-3776 Black C-Mag Carry Pouch 1005-01-363-0207 Desert Camo Carry Pouch 1005-01-363-3777
C-Mag Blank Adapter Kit - 1005-01-363-6689
C-Mag Speedloader 1005-01-363-0199
C-MAg Personal Loader 1005-01-363-0200
New Style AN/PVS-7B
Carry Case 5855-01-398-4284
Gerber Road Tool Kit - 5180-01-457-5621 ( good for TMP's, HUMMV's,etc includes Mag Light, Gerber Multi-Tool, Gerber Hatchet, Small First Aid Kit, and Gerber Saw in a black carry case)
Mag Light Flashlight - 6230-01-291-7531
Versalight 6230-01-413-8296
Gore Tex Water Repellence - 8030-01-408-9446
Remote Control Sincgars Handset - 5895-01-432-8370
M-4 Carbine Sling - 1005-01-368-9852
Benchmade Switchblade 5110-00-526-8740
Gerber Applegate/Fairbain Combat Folder 5110

What I need really bad right now is a NSN for a mount that will allow me to use a PVS-7A with the mount in the ACH.  I have 5 PVS-7Ds that work, and 87 PVS-7As that dont.  Gotta be something out there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By nf9648:

What I need really bad right now is a NSN for a mount that will allow me to use a PVS-7A with the mount in the ACH.  I have 5 PVS-7Ds that work, and 87 PVS-7As that dont.  Gotta be something out there.

This doesn't work?

Remind me again- what's the difference from the -A, and -D PVS-7 that is not the same for the 7B? I thought it was just different BII/AAI.

Let me do some fact checking and I'll get back with you via IM.

*Have you contacted an LAR from TACCOM? They are a HUGE resource.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Matt45:

Originally Posted By nf9648:

This doesn't work?

Remind me again- what's the difference from the -A, and -D PVS-7 that is not the same for the 7B? I thought it was just different BII/AAI.

Let me do some fact checking and I'll get back with you via IM.

*Have you contacted an LAR from TACCOM? They are a HUGE resource.

The 7A doesnt fit the 7B and newer mount, it only latches to the black facemask torture device.  I sent out a bunch of mounts to NTC before we came out here with the 7As and all the guys ended up carring them and hanging them around their necks the whole time.  Ill ask the civie guys here that fix that stuff, they can probably give me a yes or no and a NSN if it exists.  I gotta pick up weapons tomorrow, Ill post results tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#37]
This page is a good source of NSNs http://www.romad.com/equipment.htm

Toad
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#38]
This is a point that I rarely hear emphasized, but it could not be more important:

ALAWYS carry a smoke grenade, if you are outside the wire.
ALWAYS.

It is the ONLY thing that will save you or your downed buddy when a sniper starts hitting your guys.
If given the choice between carrying a frag or a smoke, I'd prefer the smoke.
I've seen too many Marines killed by sniper fire, and this is the most effective you have to keep safe.

Someone gets hit, you judge the wind and pop your smoke, to obscure the area so that you can get you and your downed buddy under cover.

Tommorrow I will be burying a Marine who was hit by a sniper's bullet.

Earlier today, I helped bury the Marine who rushed out to help him.

ALWAYS carry a smoke grenade.

Link Posted: 8/30/2006 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#39]

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. EXPLAIN TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, THAT WHILE YOU APPRECIATE SOAP, LAUNDRY POWDER, AND SUCH, TO PLEASE(!) SEND IT SEPERATE FROM FOODSTUFFS. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIDE-FLAVORED LIFESAVERS I'VE EATEN AND ZESTFULLY CLEAN BROWNIES SUCK BUTT.  

I pray that you are safe! On a side note, that gave me a good laugh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2006 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
This is a point that I rarely hear emphasized, but it could not be more important:

ALAWYS carry a smoke grenade, if you are outside the wire.
ALWAYS.

It is the ONLY thing that will save you or your downed buddy when a sniper starts hitting your guys.
If given the choice between carrying a frag or a smoke, I'd prefer the smoke.
I've seen too many Marines killed by sniper fire, and this is the most effective you have to keep safe.

Someone gets hit, you judge the wind and pop your smoke, to obscure the area so that you can get you and your downed buddy under cover.

Tommorrow I will be burying a Marine who was hit by a sniper's bullet.

Earlier today, I helped bury the Marine who rushed out to help him.

ALWAYS carry a smoke grenade.

+1
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 10:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chop4] [#41]
Frags are great for breaking contact.  Apparently so is smoke.  They have many uses, keep some on hand.  

Belt-fed guns are your friend.  Never leave a belt-fed behind, leave the M-4 instead.

Keep your Lasers zeroed!  Check them from time to time, best to be surprised on your own time.  Boresighting in your tent is no substitute for the range at 100meters, or even 25m if that's all you have in the IZ still.  

Special Forces doesn't make anyone special: Special Forces people make Special Forces special.  You don't have to be SF to be smart, to adapt and overcome. SF has shortages just like the rest of the military, they deal with it.  You can too.

Do you have rescue equipment in your vehicle?  Do you know how to use it?  High lift jack and chains, sawzall, or better yet a rescue specific angle grinder...

If your issue geat is crap, seriously consider buying your own kit.  Tailor it to your real mission, don't just get what looks cool or whatever everyone else has.

Headlamps make better flashlights in many circumstances.  But have a Surefire (or equivalent) on you at all times.

Smartwool socks, even when it's 130 degrees.

If you carry your pistol cross-draw in your vest, does it catch your sling when you transition?  Practice.

Perfect practice is the only practice that matters.  If you're running finger drills, call it a day and pick up later.

Hatch operator nomex may cost $10 more than issue aviator gloves, but they last twice as long.  So by that logic they're cheaper.  If another brand is even better, tell your friends.

Oakley boots are really nice boots for about two months.  There's better stuff for the money from Vasque, Lowa, Blackwatergear, ....

Don't do anything because it looks cool, do it because it works.  If I'm a designated marksman, I'm looking to trade my M-4 for an M-16 that hits harder and is likely to be more accurate.  If I'm on patrol out in the mountains or other rural areas, I'm looking to trade my eotech for an ACOG....  Cool?  Going home is cool.

Ear protection:  $200-350 for Peltors, depending on the model, is worth it!!!  If you don't get issued elecrtronic ear pro, buy it yourself.  

Wear your helmet.  Nothing is dumber than the guy who doesn't want to wear a helmet because he saw a movie where the SF guys don's wear helmets.  Same goes for your body armor.  I had the option to wear anything I wanted, or nothing at all.  I looked like a perfect leg at all times.  I'm alive and very healthy.

Training: planning, driving, shooting, commo and medicine.  You can be the best CLS in your platoon, but if you can't call the bird your buddy dies.  

Intel: know where to get it.  Your plan is not finished until it's based on known updated information.  
Intel: you are your best intel, aar's save lives.  the follow on mission should send a member to your aar and not simply rely on S2 to make it pretty for them.  Send a member of your patrol to the last patrol's aar.

Be able to change a tire in 90 seconds.  Better yet, use run-flats.

After about 105 degrees more clothes will keep you cooler than less clothes.  

If it'll make your job easier, buy it.  You'll regret it later, out in the field, and miserable.

Eye protection: wear it.  Oakley, WileyX, Gargoils, ESS...just wear something.  I don't care about your eyesight, I just need you to be able to see to shoot back and not sniveling over there with your face in your hands.  

Camelbak:  don't give in to the hype that you can have a cooler in your humvee.  What do you do when the humvee stops, or loses 1500 lbs of the part where you keep the cooler?  What if you have to E&E 5K back to a rally-point, then wait there for nightfall and it's only 0830?  You may not wear it, but at least keep it handy.  Plus it's a nice place for magazines, grenades, gps batteries, vs-17 panel...  

GPS: everyone on your patrol needs to know how to use it.  The more the marrier.  Buy one at the PX, it's the new compass.

Compass and map.  The gps may trick you, but the map never lies.  Never assume you're patrol will run you through known areas and back to base.  What if you have to quick reaction for another patrol or contractors or a chopper down?  

Contractors: plan, train, rehearse.  Don't assume your new guy knows what he's doing just because he says he was in such-n-such unit.  You are what you do.  I've seen real eggheads with great resumes, and top-notch guys with bland resumes.  And no-one is ever too squared away to train.  "I was SAS" is no excuse to not train.  Anybody who says they did all the learning they'll ever need in such-n-such unit was probably never in that unit.  

PMCS your vehicle before EVERY run.  

Keep your windows clean enough to lick.  

Contractors running low profile: keep your damn vehicles clean.  Iraqis are poor enough that a vehicle is their prized posetion and they tend to keep them clean.   I've seen them wash their cars every night, even if they didn't drive that day.  You're not "fitting in" by being a dirty foreigner.  

Contractors keep your heads on swivels.  I almost lost a freind (lead in the lung) because he was being a good employee and not looking around because his boss said it attracted attention.  He knew something was amiss and turned to check out a suspicious van moving up alongside.  He shot first, blowing out his closed window.  He still caught AK frag, but would have died if he hadn't been a split second quicker.  This isn't just about heads on swivels, its about doing what's right or quitting because you can.  As it stands, 3/5 of the friends I've lost died from terminal "fuck it lets go" syndrome.  Being low profile doesn't mean you can't wear body armor (my friend with the lead in the lung wouln't have even gotten that much if he'd been wearing armor), and it doesn't mean wearing shemags that aren't even worn correctly.  It just means not making a big red-assed foreigner of yourself shooting anything that gets within 100m of your vihicle.  You still need to scan every single car that approaches you, and rule it out or fire.  Get super dark tint.  Go 5mph faster than traffic (but not 25mph-those-guys-are-contractors faster).  

If you're going high profile, be more high profile than a PKM or 240 hanging out the back: have a keep back sign and enforce it.  If you're zipped up in a tinted out suburban, you're not high profile, and you're going to be aproached.  Shoot a journalist in these political times and you might end up in jail.  It aint 2004 anymore.

Armor your vehicle if it isn't already.  Between car steel and water/fuel blivet material you can get good results.  Get ballistic blankets where and when you can.  scrounge armor steel from depots.  improvise.

Smuggle alcohol.  Just not in empty mouthwash containers.  Unless it's peppermint schnapps.  Ok, that's just for fun, but seriously, if you're going to risk it, don't even think about it prior to missions.  And don't be dehydrated come departure time.  Handling your liquor in a combat zone means being fully mission ready, not working through a hangover because you think you're tough.  You end up in the back of a humvee with an IV and you're worse than useless, you're a liability.  

Make friends, you'll need them, and be amazed at how they come through for you.  Don't ignore a guy because he's a leg or a commo geek. We were all legs and geeks before we got hi-speed, and we're still the same people.  I made friends with a guy once who turned out to be a unit armorer.  He did several thousand dollars worth of work for my team for Big Red and Dr. Pepper.  Another guy provided us with many thousands of dollars worth of time and services for Cheetos and Burger King.  Nothing illegal, just wouldn't have thought of it if we hadn't made friends  outside our knuckle-dragging comfort zone.

Trade.  Three things you don't need and three things you do?  That's one and the same my brothers and sisters.

It's 2006.  Get a sattelite phone for chris'sakes.  If you're a PL and your platoon doesn't have one, it's your responsibility as the most money-to-age-ratio.  OK, I'm being a little facesious here, but seriously, if you can afford it, it really makes life better.  Use one for tactical purposes only, and PMCS it before every mission.  If the troops want to call momma, then buy another one.  That's the PSG's responsibility as the, um, well, it's his responsibility because the PL already bought one and you're next on the listheir Phones are locked down by SOP for 24-72 hrs following any casualty.  Do NOT let that shit get to the family before the proper authority, even on accident.  

Enjoy life.  Have big parties for your Iraqi or Afghan troops.  Have big parties for yourselves.  Schedule fun.  Go fishing in one of Saddams ponds.  Piss on one of Saddams things.  Unless the BC is currently using it.  

Binoculars: keep a small pair handy.  You get what you pay for, but I haven't found anything that comes close to the bang for the buck you get from a pair of $50-100 Nikon fieldstarIII binocs ($89 at REI, $49 at Sierratradingpost). I've got a pair about to go on a third tour while my buddy's pocket Steiners crapped out after 5 months in A-stan.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#42]

bump for the night crew
These suggestions are great but am always looking for more.
Friend suggested this
3 things you wish you'd left
3 things you wish you'd had

I haven't read this whole thred but here are a couple of things.
French press coffee pot w/preground Starbucks (greeen beans coffee tastes like ass)
110/220 coil hot water heater ( hot coffee and oatmeal for breakfast without haveing to get to the Chowhall).
I have a 10$ polar fleece sleeping bag from Wally world, worth it's weight in gold if your moving around a lot. Makes a nice seat cushion too!
Tshirts to swap ifyou like collecting tshirts. I got some awsome ones last trip trading Hawaii FD shirts.
Leave behind Issue galoshes (sp) worthless!
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 2:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mb121] [#43]
First aid: train and retrain on this, also become good friends with your medic and get as much supply of bandages, IV bags, etc.

Super cool gear: keep the spending to a minimum or what you think that you'll need.  FNG's and cherry's, you need this gear about as much as a fat kid needs chocolate.  Use what you are issued and then figure out if you need something better later, most of you won't even know how to use the stuff.  E2's shouldn't be buying 200+ bucks of tactical gear anyways.

Weapon mods: same as the above, also make sure that your company/unit will authorize you to install or use.

Range time: get as much as you can, double this for SDM's and find a range that will have targets out past 300m.

Eye pro: get a good brand like Oakley, the cheapo stuff will not last long and you will spend more in the long run replacing the cheap stuff than if you just bought a expensive pair the first time.

Combat uniform: wear what your unit tells you to and do not slack on this, your life could count on it.  If you are a leader then enforce the fucking standard!

Camel-back: don't use it much anymore, instead I carry a bottle of water in my cargo pocket.

Good quality multi-tool: these will be used almost everyday for something, leave the 7" rambo blade at home guys you won't need it.

cold weather gear: winter time it gets cold and normally has rain with it, make sure you got something good.

Smoke grenades: carry one or more!

"Speed ball": this is what my unit calls its emergency bag of extra M4 mags, SAW drums, and just anything else that goes boom or will kill a person.  Have one with as much ammo possible stored in a location in the vehicle that a person inside could grab and kick out to the guys on the ground in a hurry.

Cleaning kit: get a good one and a bore snake, dental picks, and anything that you think you will need to get your weapon clean.  Leaders should ensure that their men are cleaning their weapons daily and should ensure that their men have the special tools (i.e SAW tool, M240 tool, 203 bore brush, etc) that they need.

bump for the night crew
These suggestions are great but am always looking for more.
Friend suggested this
3 things you wish you'd left
3 things you wish you'd had

Wish that I had left:
M68, hate these things.  Though it is the back up for my back up Eotech, I would rather have left back in the rear.
Cold weather boots, never have worn them and besides you can always double up on socks.
credit card, yeah its a little easy to spend money over here.

Wish that I had:
MK262 ammo, though the M855 ammunition as worked for me I still follow the "its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" motto.
Sound suppressor, would be nice for those times that you want the element of surprise only to have it ruined by some dog barking its head off.  Not a good feeling during a OP where its just you and 5 other guys and support is a couple of clicks away.
10.5" upper, would be nice for clearing rooms or going through these narrow doors and alleys.

Seriously though I wish that I had new mags, PEQ-2's for my whole team, and more trigger time for my guys.  Also the 10.5" upper would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#44]

1005-01-371-4462 Shotgun 12 Gauge, Riot Type 250.00
1005-00-106-7788 Pistol .45 Cal, Automatic 147.00

wow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#45]
My NG buddy that just returned said staying friendly with the Marines and the Seebees improved his units quality of life greatly.

The marines always had plenty of ammo and demo when the NG was running low and the SeeBees hoked them up with building supplies to improve the trailers and conex boxes they were living in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
My NG buddy that just returned said staying friendly with the Marines and the Seebees improved his units quality of life greatly.

The marines always had plenty of ammo and demo when the NG was running low and the SeeBees hoked them up with building supplies to improve the trailers and conex boxes they were living in.

As a Seabee I can tell you it works both ways.  We are always willing to trade our skilled labor for what we need.
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Originally Posted By ChrisLe:
Here's a few I've previously posted. They're geared towards medics, but there's info for all:

1. Always wear your issued ballistic goggles. You ‘should ‘get issued WileyX goggles with both clear and tinted lenses. If not, buy your own ballistic goggles before you go over. Wear them 24/7 when you’re outside your FOB. I can’t count the amount of people that lost eyes from IED attacks because they were not wearing their goggles. Wear them!!

2. Wear your SAPI plates! They have saved countless lives by stopping 7.62 rounds and huge chunks of shrapnel…They weigh a ton and you’ll sweat like a whore in church while wearing them but they will save your life.

3. Always keep your hands inside of the armor side plates when riding in the back of a HMMWV. The tendency to rest your weapon on the armor, pointing outboard, with your hand outstretched holding the barrel in the ready position is natural but extremely dangerous. If an IED hits, you WILL lose your arm….

4. Know your AO like the back of your hand. It’s the single most improtant way you will be able to identify IED’s before they get you. You will be traveling the same roads over and over again day after day. Do not sit in the HMMWV and jerk around while you’re out there. Memorize every dirt mound, light pole, stop sign, garbage pile, depression, car, etc in your AO. In time you will be able to ‘sense’ that there is something not right about a certain spot or object on the road. For example: We noticed one day that a stop sign in our AO was missing from an intersection. Miraculously, it reappeared the next day. BIG RED FLAG!! We stopped at a distance, circled around behind it, and found that they had removed it, lined the back of the sign with a ½ inch layer of plastic explosives with ball bearings embedded in it, and then replaced it on the pole. Had we not recognized that it was missing and then reappeared, and continued to drive by it, it would have decimated us as it was 6’ off the ground (head level above the level of a HMMWV’s armor plating). Know your AO!!

5. If you’re HMMWV has a fording stack, get rid of it ASAP. It impedes the passenger’s ability to scan the side of the road for abnormalities…

6. When traveling along the MSR’s be especially wary when you drive by villages. Many IED’s are located near villages that abut the MSR because it affords the insurgents numerous hiding spots from which to command detonate the IED.

7. Beg, borrow, or steal as many tourniquets as you can. Assign one to every member of your squad or unit, teach them how to use them, and be sure it’s carried on their person 24/7. There is no way to describe the carnage that an IED or a 122 mm rocket creates. They will tear off limbs in an instant and tourniquet may be the difference between life and death if arteries are severed. Even in your FOB, where you are constantly rocketed, one should carry tourniquets….

Wiley X eye pro sucks.  The ESS goggles are much better.
They are E-SAPI plates now.  The equivilent of what used to be used as chest/back plates are now in what are called "Side SAPI's"
We rode with our windows up at all times, so arms/hands were never sticking out to get blown off.  Our ears would ring post blast, but that was it.
Knowing the AO requires you get out of the truck and walk around.  Easily half of our missions were "meet and greets".
Our fording stacks got pulled before we rolled north from Kuwait.
That is yet another reason to not use the main roads.  And to never use the same route in that you took out.
Tourniquets are now standard issue in the new Improved First Aid Kits, along with tape, a nasal-phrangeal airway, Israeli dressing and gloves.  All of it on a nice little panel with elastic loops to keep items secure and a "telephone cord" so if the pouch comes open, you won't lose all the stuff.

GB
Scout, 2/8IN, 4ID
OIF 05/07
FOB Kalsu, Iraq
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By ChrisLe:
Here's a few I've previously posted. They're geared towards medics, but there's info for all:

1. Always wear your issued ballistic goggles. You ‘should ‘get issued WileyX goggles with both clear and tinted lenses. If not, buy your own ballistic goggles before you go over. Wear them 24/7 when you’re outside your FOB. I can’t count the amount of people that lost eyes from IED attacks because they were not wearing their goggles. Wear them!!

Question for you on this issue,for those of us stuck with corrective lenses. Wiley makes corrective lenses for their goggles, but these offer no ballistic protection. What are guys with glasses wearing that provides ballistic protection?
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Points to consider: Does it take batteries? Hard-to-find batteries? Do you need to recharge it? How long does it take to recharge? Do you have any other devices that take the same batteries?  Do you have all of the cables and software for your stuff?  Can you use one cable for multiple devices?  Start thinking about this stuff, you’ll want to pare your gear down to fit your allotted bags/ trunk space.

LED headlamp – Uses very little power, small, good for buddy aid/ self-aid, deliberate searches, walking on the FOB (no streetlights), etc.  Make sure it has a red lens or is red LED-capable.

Digital Camera – You’ll work with some cool motherfuckers and see some cool shit and you’ll want to remember some of that.  Photos help.  Send some pics back to your relatives so they remember what you look like.  Don’t Forget: Make sure you have the right kind of batteries, a good case and spare memory cards.

Laptop – I recommend a very small one, it needs to pack away well and fit a small living space.  If you want easier typing, ask for a keyboard in a care package or buy one from your local Haj-Mart.  Games, audio, writing letters, movies, organizing photos, work (if you do this, make sure it’s checked out by your S2).  If you have the option, don’t get a very expensive unit as it’ll probably get pretty fucked up by sand, bumps, living in cramped quarters, etc.  Don’t Forget: Consider putting it on your renters/ home-owners insurance if it’s a very nice laptop.

MP3 player – Audiobooks, movies (movies converted to audio), photos, data storage, etc.  Make sure you have conversion software, backup software, stuff like that.  Don’t Forget: Headphones and a pair of portable speakers.  TIP: Don't bother with iTunes, you won't be able to use it overseas unless you have your own commercial internet access... which you probably won't have.

Shooting gloves – For protecting your hands dumbass.  Don’t skimp on quality, they’re your hands.  Note the size in your photo-catalog for when you need spares.

Flash Drive – Good for transferring photos, music, video footage from a buddy.  Consider getting another one for work as they’re great for Powerpoint OPORDERs and target packages, but you can’t use it for personal anything (again, it’s gotta have a SECRET sticker on it from S2).  TIP: to save your precious time at the computer lab, write your emails beforehand on your personal laptop and just take them to the internet café to transmit.

Nalgene Bottle – Or another 32 oz. polycarbonate bottle.  Good for a lot of shit, mixing protein drinks (for weightlifters), cocoa, coffee, hydration drink mixes, ramen, MRE drink mixes, etc.  They don’t leach a lot of harmful shit into your water like Gatorade bottles do.  Scribble your name or put some stickers on it so you know it’s yours.  TIP: They make a lot of accessories for these, coffee-presses, drink spouts, shit like that.

Waterproof notebook – Or waterproof index cards, sweat will destroy regular paper.  Ink will run, so consider your favorite brand of mechanical pencil as well.  If you use index cards, binder clips from OfficeMax kick ass for keeping that shit together.  TIP: Chances are you can get a notebook from your supply sergeant, that means a lot of others have one like yours, personalize it.

Pocketknife – You aren’t a ninja, you don’t need a Rambo-survival knife and are probably not going to cut anybody’s throat anytime soon.  Keep it small, make sure it has a clip on it (so it sticks around a while) and consider whether or not you want to be able to take it apart for cleaning.  Get a sharpening stone and learn to sharpen the damned thing, you’ll have plenty of time for it.

Multi-tool – What do you need it for?  Get one that suits those needs.  There are a million different types and chances are there is one out there that fits your exact needs.  TIP: Get a pouch for putting it on your FLC, consider getting one that you can disassemble and keep it’s disassembly tool in your cleaning kit.

Mini-Snaplinks – These are those miniature carabiners that are popular as keychains.  They’re invaluable for securing NODs to your helmet, gloves to your FLC, chemlights, shit like that.  There are a million uses for these, get a few.

Reading List – 1. Make a list of subjects that you want to read about.  2. Get books on those subjects.  3. Read them.

Sandals – Flip-flops, Carolina Wingtips, thongs, whatever you call them, make sure they’re marked with your name and make them individual.  Annoying, colorful, whatever… if they’re stolen from the shower you’ll know who took them.  Don’t skimp on quality, it sucks walking to the shower in the dark with broken sandals.

Annoying Beachtowel – Make it large, the tiny issue brown towels don’t cover up my 6-foot-plus frame.  Make it annoying and mark it with your name in a few places, so you know it’s yours even if that Bangladeshi KBR worker tears a corner off of it.

Small Photo Album/ Printed Pictures – Not a digital photo library, you need something you can tape up and see as you pass through your living quarters between missions.  Little pictures inside your helmet are cool, just make sure they aren’t naughty or contain information that can be used against you if it’s lost.  It would suck if your girlfriend or spouse got a phone call from Al Qaida or some Iraqi dipshit somewhere in Europe or Southwest Asia saying you were dead .

Pillow and Bedsheets – Get some regular sheets and pillow for your bed, it’ll help you relax after missions, hell… you might even be able to feel like you’re at home for a few minutes.  If you use dryer sheets at home, consider asking for a few for your laundry if you can do it yourself, I had a dryer and washer at my compound, a lot of guys I knew did this.

Bore Snake – Easy to use between missions.  Some people don’t like how they don’t get the barrel squeaky clean, but it’s quick and does a decent job.

List Of NSNs – A list of National Stock Numbers for ordering shit from Supply, they conveniently *ahem* forget or miswrite the NSNs for your  order sometimes so your request doesn’t get completed.  Gather what you can from here and add to it.

Baseball Cap/ Tee Shirts – Your favorite sports team, hunting camo pattern, whatever.  You’ll have a space where you can just be yourself, this’ll help you keep your head straight.

Handkerchiefs – The cowboy-pattern types, different colors.  These are awesome for cleaning off your optics, blowing your nose, wiping off your weapon, wiping off your BluForce Tracker screen, drying your hands, whatever.  I don’t leave the wire without one.

Bungee Cords – The little 10” commercial ones, the big rubber ones, the OD green ones that you buy at Clothing Sales, you can’t go wrong with bungee cords.  Good for staging magazines, strobes, IV sets, tourniquets, water bottles, whatever.

Favorite Video Games – Even if you don’t have a game console (Xbox or Playstation) or just have one for your team, squad, platoon, whatever (hey, there’s an idea) take the games that you like.  Chances are there’s a game console near you in an adjoining platoon or MWR palace/ tent.

Segovia Account – I’m not plugging VOIP (voice-over-internet-protocol) services, it’s just that these guys are pretty much the best game in town at VOIP.  Get an account in the states and use it in-country, don’t let anyone know your account information… even your best buddy will abuse it.

Drink Tablets/ Powders - The tablets are relatively new.  Nuun, Zyme and Elixer are awesome, carbonated tablets (kinda like Alka-Seltezer) that you just drop into a bottle and wait a couple of minutes.  It's bubbly for a few hours and basically flavored water with some good shit thrown in so you can justify using it.  Water gets a little old after a while.

Photo-Catalog - If you’re particular about your gear, make a list or a photo-catalog of what you prefer to use.  This way, when you have a request from your state-side support system (relatives, spouse, whatever) they’ll know what to look for and send.  It sucks when you get the wrong sized shooting gloves and the used ones you have smell like rotting chicken and are worn with holes.

I'll add to this as I think of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#50]
First post, I am new to this site, recently stumbled across it. Read lots of good advice on this thread. I hope what I write can help a never deployed Soldier, Marine, ect.

Mindset

Words to live by "STAY ALERT, STAY ALIVE." Nothing is routine,  the enemy will often attack you based upon your routine. As mentioned before, pay attention to detail, noticing subtle changes is a true lifesaver.

This may sound stupid,I would look at my AO like an nosy neighborhood gossip. Remember peoples faces, there family members, what cars they have, where they work(if they do), who they hang out with,general demeanor ect. Your dealing with a shadowy enemy, you need any advantage you can get. Example: Local haji family would constantly ask for hand outs. They lived in very rundown home, basically had nothing like many over there.  On patrol we began to notice he was avoiding us, which is not  was unusual for him.Soon we began to notice his spending habits change, fixed his car, new clothes for his family ect. and he had completely stopped begging. To make a long story short, we found artillery shells buried in his backyard, cash, and IED precursors in his home. Quite likely we saved lives by using common sense.

My grandpa used to say "you don't win a gun battle shooting last." That is not always true, but my point is DON'T HESITATE, trust your instincts. That stuff happens fast you have to react fast. You have to be prepared at all times to engage if the situation arises. Scan terrain looking for possible ambush sites,sniper hides ect. Stay legal.

Tactical Gear/Clothing

Single point sling- I used 2, Gear Sector ASP-V and a Troy Industries. Both were excellent.  Like most a perfer 1 points better. Kept the TI, very durable. If you want a 2 point Larue 2 point excellent, buddy had one. If you have the m16a2 the Blackhawk SWIFT was popular.

Knife-Cold Steel w/ serrated blade, BIG 5 cheap BUCK folder.
Cold Steel went on missions, BIG 5 utility knife for GP, left it at FOB used it for cutting rope,tape,opening boxes,ect. Cold Steel is still alive.

Multi-tool- Get one Leathermen or Gerber. I like the needle nose type, easier to extract a jammed round. Maybe good to get a seperate beater or just a regular plier. I had the Gerber still works fine,

Goggles-IMO don't skimp here. I got Bolle, use the lens cover. Wiley X to fragile, buy a hard case if not issued one.

Gloves-Forget the expensive ones. Save the money. I used Nike batting gloves, lasted longer than the expensive commerical tactical gloves. Also used Mechanic's gloves. Also used nomex sometimes, good but not as durable.

Socks-Calf high commercial wool hiking socks.

Undergarments-Underarmor. If deployed cold weather enviroment get some thin commerical undergarments for cold weather. Bacalava. Goretex socks. Of course wool cap or two. Get some boxer briefs, less scafing.

Flashlight-Surefire of some type. I have the G2 still going strong. Red lens headlamp to. Stockpile CR123

Tourniqute-Stockpile these, wore it around neck cowboy style, pull over face when needed.

First Aid-Should include Israeli dressing, tampons(plugging wounds), iodine,gauze,maxi pads(ultra absorbant)tourniqute,tape

Silly string-Why ? Detect trip wires

Camelbak-Used older one, maybe better ones out there but still effective. Make sure yours has ample storage room. Bring extra mouth valves.

Smartcard-Call for fire, reports, medivac or any other infomation which you might not be able to remember under stress. Minimize and laminate card. Could be used with football wrist band, like quarterbacks wear.(My idea)

ASP-Effective for crowd control optional depending on mission.

Smoke grenade  +100

Weapons

Zero all weapons and optics, ir laser,ect.

Next time you go to the range zero from battlesight zero. Record how many "clicks" it takes to reach "your zero". If you pick up another rifle you can set it at your zero.

Stockpile magazines, test them at range. Even if NIW. Mark them with 100 mph tape with intitals. So you only use verified magazines.

When on mission use magazine cap on several magazines but not all.

Especially in desert enviroments keep weapon clean as possible. Use dust cover, or if situation dictates use condom over barrel.

Take a small vial of CLP on missions. M4 can function dirty if its well lubricated.

Maintain a good cleaning kit, bore snake dental picks,brushes. After I had my m4 rebarreled I bought a flexible cleaning rod instead of GI metal rod.

EO Tech is an excellent optic, cant remember the model number. But it was a N battery NV capable. Smaller than AA model mounts completly on upper, holds zero. I am not sure what current policy is concerning weapons modification, but EO Tech is excellent. Better than Aimpoint IMO. Sold it but never failed. Worth the money no question.

Training

In Iraq know everything there is to know about IED/VBIED's, indicators, new asphault,ect. and precursors. Should be pounded into you.

Be capable of performing tasks of superiors and others.

Other than that train as much as possible. Take advantage of all of it.

Other

Battery charger, rechargeables
Lantern
Maglite red lens
Babywipes
Footpowder/foot products tinactin,nylons ect.
Video games/books great for down time, buy gear first but the more the better

Good luck to anyone deploying come home safe

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top