Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 9:39:10 PM EDT
Hey,

Im a 17 year old, soon to be senior in highschool and im pretty dead set on joining the Army in a combat MOS, i just am having trouble deciding on which MOS i would enjoy most. Previously, i was heavily looking at 19D Cavalry Scout and that was pretty much the direction i wanted to go but now im having second thoughts and considering 11X. I do want to go to schools like Air Assault, maybe Sniper School, i want my military training to be extensive and i want to be able to do a wide array of things while im in and currently, 11X looks like that may be the most promising MOS for that want of mine because you can go to any school as a 11X but it looks like 19D has some limitations as i could not be a legitimate Ranger if i chose to pursue it, and trying to get a spot in Air Assault or Sniper School is very difficult as a 19D from what ive read. It seems like 19D's learn much more in their AIT training though, so im kind of torn in that aspect. I also would like to be apart of a MOS that is full of pride, brotherhood and tradition and it seems like the Infantry has alot of that, more so than the Scouts. I did already take my ASVAB and i ended up getting a 79 on my AFQT if that helps at all.

Any and all tips, answers, information, and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Current 11b here.  

Your day to day activities will be the same 19d or 11b/c, morning PT, then sit around waiting to go home, maybe throw in some "festivities" or details or a range from time to time.  

As far as going to schools that will really depend on your company/battalion/division.  I know people that have gotten those schools in other units.  But in over 2 years that I've been in my unit I haven't seen a single person go to /sniper/air assault/ or even WLC, we had one guy go to Ranger school and that is it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to college
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

Your day to day activities will be the same 19d or 11b/c, morning PT, then sit around waiting to go home, maybe throw in some "festivities" or details or a range from time to time.  

As far as going to schools that will really depend on your company/battalion/division.  I know people that have gotten those schools in other units.  But in over 2 years that I've been in my unit I haven't seen a single person go to /sniper/air assault/ or even WLC, we had one guy go to Ranger school and that is it.
View Quote

As a current 19D  everything rosta has said is spot on.

I have only seen guys go to schools from when they reenlisted. Except for WLC and ARC.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

View Quote

That sounds like you are in a real shitty unit.

If you choose to enlist to become an 11 series, you will not be disappointed. Through my career,  I have never seen a unit not send Soldiers to schools as long as they were good Soldiers and that they earned the slot to go. Every unit I was I had no problem sending Soldiers to Airborne School, Air Assault school, Master Gunner School, Sniper School, Ranger School, Pathfinder school, RSLC, Mountain Warfare school, MLARM and various other long range marksmanship courses.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you choose to enlist to become an 11 series, you will not be disappointed. Through my career,  I have never seen a unit not send Soldiers to schools as long as they were good Soldiers and that they earned the slot to go. Every unit I was I had no problem sending Soldiers to Airborne School, Air Assault school, Master Gunner School, Sniper School, Ranger School, Pathfinder school, RSLC, Mountain Warfare school, MLARM and various other long range marksmanship courses.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/lil_pendejo/IMG_73195756724594.jpeg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

Army is broke they don't have money to be sending dudes to the big schools like they used to.

The Courses you can do on your post you should get easy like raven or long range markmenship.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
1-800-MARINES

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Or that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey,

Im a 17 year old, soon to be senior in highschool and im pretty dead set on joining the Army in a combat MOS, i just am having trouble deciding on which MOS i would enjoy most. Previously, i was heavily looking at 19D Cavalry Scout and that was pretty much the direction i wanted to go but now im having second thoughts and considering 11X. I do want to go to schools like Air Assault, maybe Sniper School, i want my military training to be extensive and i want to be able to do a wide array of things while im in and currently, 11X looks like that may be the most promising MOS for that want of mine because you can go to any school as a 11X but it looks like 19D has some limitations as i could not be a legitimate Ranger if i chose to pursue it, and trying to get a spot in Air Assault or Sniper School is very difficult as a 19D from what ive read. It seems like 19D's learn much more in their AIT training though, so im kind of torn in that aspect. I also would like to be apart of a MOS that is full of pride, brotherhood and tradition and it seems like the Infantry has alot of that, more so than the Scouts. I did already take my ASVAB and i ended up getting a 79 on my AFQT if that helps at all.

Any and all tips, answers, information, and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks
View Quote

Legitimate Ranger?  Get an Option 40 contract and go to a Ranger Bat.

Why the Hell do you want to join the Army in a combat MOS?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey,

Everything else you can do as a civilian and get paid more.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have only seen guys go to schools from when they reenlisted. Except for WLC and ARC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

So pretty much, either way, id be doing the same thing day to day?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I did my time in the Infantry and don't regret a minute of it. Soldiering in its purest form. That said, I now see a lot of former Combat Engineers/EOD types walking into well-paying civi jobs. Good luck and get everything you want in writing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Army is broke they don't have money to be sending dudes to the big schools like they used to.

The Courses you can do on your post you should get easy like raven or long range markmenship.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

Really depends on the unit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#16]
13F, infantry thinks they're cool, but they don't get shit done unless its been cleared by the big guns
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Former 19D schools are hard to get as most go to infantry. I was in mech and light units, you are the bastards of the infantry. Most commanders dont know how to use you. You hang out with the Mortar Plt, also the rejects or the infantry branch. You are brothers, you clear bars and bang the same pussy. Good times. As a scout you get to play with all kinds of guns and demo. It was really a gteat job. But most of the time you dont do your job. You paint and clean and get in trouble for not keeping your uniform pressed.
Not a great time to be in the mil with the drawdown of forces. Less money for gas and bullets.
If you still want to go in I wish you well

Scouts out
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#18]
11X is a cool option with possibilities for high and mighty harder to slot schools but you better have your shit together physically and mentally before you try, I've met a lot of shitbag 11B grunts whos only claim to fame is that they entered on an 11X contract and washed out (usually during basic no where near Bragg). However, if it works out don't be a cocksucker; anyone who has been around more than 5 minutes can tell the difference between a long tab 11X and someone who actually grew up as an 11B. There is a whole other level of maturity, patience and respect from guys who have been there and done that rather than jumped in and recieved only special/small unit training with little real world experience ot back it up.

I do not see any reason to go 19D when you could be an 11B and get the benefits of schools for doing the same work, you can always go to a mech unit as a Bravo.

ETA - Go to College.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#19]
If you ain't Infantry, you're support!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't.

And if you can't be talked out of it........ Don't.
11B here.

Dont.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Cav is gay.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cav is gay.
View Quote

You speak the truth, although 1 and 2p are pretty close behind.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cav is gay.

I've heard stories, but I haven't been there since 2010. Without a real war, it's gonna be impossible to top 2006-07.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
11b

I joined the Marine Corps on an open contract. I was never able to lateral move from my POG MOS.

Do the first hitch in the Infantry. Reup in the guard and go to school for free plus your GI bill. You will live large on campus.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've heard stories, but I haven't been there since 2010. Without a real war, it's gonna be impossible to top 2006-07.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cav is gay.

You haven't missed a thing. I'm

and

so
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
11X is a cool option with possibilities for high and mighty harder to slot schools but you better have your shit together physically and mentally before you try, I've met a lot of shitbag 11B grunts whos only claim to fame is that they entered on an 11X contract and washed out (usually during basic no where near Bragg). However, if it works out don't be a cocksucker; anyone who has been around more than 5 minutes can tell the difference between a long tab 11X and someone who actually grew up as an 11B. There is a whole other level of maturity, patience and respect from guys who have been there and done that rather than jumped in and recieved only special/small unit training with little real world experience ot back it up.

I do not see any reason to go 19D when you could be an 11B and get the benefits of schools for doing the same work, you can always go to a mech unit as a Bravo.

ETA - Go to College.
View Quote

Huh?  I think you're thinking of something else...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA - Go to College.

18X.  What a difference a number makes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Go 11B!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
11 series opens more doors...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to the site. You ask good questions.
The Army is basically what you make it, like anything else in life.
It helps to be in high speed units, surrounded by high speed guys who are also trying to be the best.
My recommendation is to surround yourself with the best men possible. Go 11B with a guaranteed in writing 82nd option, or better yet, a guaranteed Ranger option. Be advised that if you fail to complete the RIP after OSUT and Abn schools you WILL get sent wherever you are needed, so set yourself up for success by PTing your arse off now and arriving at Benning in the best shape possible. Not just aerobic, though important, but try to gain some real strength as well as endurance in your senior year. Hard for many of us guys, I was 135 soaking wet showing up to Benning. Was 150 when I graduated, then gained some muscle mass more easily.
Keep a never quit attitude, and do your best at any mission given, and you will earn respect and get the schools you want. If you go to a Ranger Bn, you will go to Ranger school as a PFC or SPC. You will likely have your Parachute badge, Ranger tab, EIB, and the way things are continuing, a CIB within two to three years.
Just listen and learn from the older SPCs who have their stuff together, as well as your NCOs, and you will excel.
Now do your best in your senior year and have fun. You never have that time back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1-800-MARINES

Thank me later.
View Quote

Until its time to get promoted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Former 19D schools are hard to get as most go to infantry. I was in mech and light units, you are the bastards of the infantry. Most commanders dont know how to use you. You hang out with the Mortar Plt, also the rejects or the infantry branch. You are brothers, you clear bars and bang the same pussy. Good times. As a scout you get to play with all kinds of guns and demo. It was really a gteat job. But most of the time you dont do your job. You paint and clean and get in trouble for not keeping your uniform pressed.
Not a great time to be in the mil with the drawdown of forces. Less money for gas and bullets.
If you still want to go in I wish you well

Scouts out
View Quote

Yep.  In an infantry BN 19D is synonymous with PSD.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1-800-MARINES

Thank me later.

True, but that's when you cross over and go from 4 to 6 in a 12 month period. Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1-800-MARINES

Thank me later.
View Quote

You mean the service that has no money to send people to school.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Current 11b at fort benning for airborne school. Infantry will not dissapoint you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Infantry.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Airborne Infantry.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I will preface the following with stating that I am National Guard.  I understand that some may frown upon it, but at the end of the day I went to the same OSUT in Fort Benning, GA that any active duty 19D has gone through. Being 19D does not rule you out for schools, it will just depend on your unit. I went to Air Assault as a 19D less than six months out of basic. My suggestion is take this thing one step at a time. If you want schools, when you get to your unit, you better be the best of the best. Always on top of your stuff and a PT stud. Before you do all that, pick an MOS and get yourself mentally and physically prepared for basic. If you want those kind of schools you had better plan on making a career out of the military.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey,

View Quote

Do a real job, become a medic 68w. Ha ha. Love all you 11B. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have a job. Except to hear how you "forgot" to wrap it the fuck up, once again.

19D are gay though for real!

Doc
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#40]
11C was the reason I didn't take an 11X contract. Fuck that.
Also, 19d really should be two MOS's. One for the Light Scouts and one for the Death Before Dismount mech fatties.
Did both, and they aren't even the same fuckin sport.

It takes a special breed to enjoy being sent way beyond the flagpole (and occasionally forgotten about). To be that bastard child of the army, held in contempt by both Infantry and Armor alike. But, know what? Fuck em! Looking back I wouldn't change a goddamned thing! Being a Scout was goddamned awesome. Done right, you'll end up with a really broad array of experience from sitting in a spider hole doing surveillance to vechicle operations, to close-in recon, to sitting in the bush with a ghille, to straight up First Contact (go out, find the bad guys and pick a fight with them). You'll build target packets for brigade level HVI lists. You'll end up well versed in all small-arms systems the conventional army owns, as well as getting to carry a big fucking ruck full of optics and radios. You'll learn how to call for artillery fire to standard in OSUT. ARC, RSLC, and Ranger School if you want 'em (does not apply to the mech scouts). Are you the type that CAN play by the rules, but likes to thumb his nose at authority? Great! You gotta be the kind of dude that likes snooping around where you don't belong and not getting caught, the type that'll go out and pick a fight. Both are missions of the Scouts. Then when you come back in every 3-5 days, the Infantry cats will talk all sorts of shit, and bitch at you because your boonie hat is dirty, completely neglecting the fact that your screen line/ over watch position kept the Queen of Battle from getting raped in the valley. Smile:

They hate us, cuz they ain't us.

Caveat: pay attention to the common theme of "Airborne" in this whole thread. do it because 1. It's awesome, 2. You get paid more, and 3. Airborne units are far and away better than mech units. There are a bunch of officers in mech who 1. Idolize Custer, and 2. Have this saying that there aren't snipers in the CAV. Their idea of recon is just driving a little tank in front of s big tank. Light, air assault, and airborne actually get out of their Vic's, so by proxy, those are the units you need to be in to get Ranger, RSLC, Designated Marksman, Sniper, Anti-Tank weapons, and basically anything that involves not being fat and sitting in your track. 82nd is all about sending their Scouts to those schools, and I've heard 10th mountain and 101st are as well.

I guess 11 opens "more" doors, but you have to take a look at what those doors actually are. The slots in 75th Rangers are pretty much the only thing an 11series gets that a 19D doesn't. That and a bunch of admin shit at Ft Benning.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current 11b here.  

He'll get plenty of SHARP, EO, and IA training.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA - Go to College.
View Quote

What the fuck is this incoherent mess of a rant supposed to mean!?
Brb man, its almost brown 15 snaps to the table beer Air Assault Ranger commando COB.

Sign yo pitty on the runny kine
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#43]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Maintain yourself physically (300 PT score), be a go getter but not a douche and you'll get any school you want in time. But get one thing straight - the Army will bone you. Your individual leaders will care about you but the Army as a whole does not. Accept that, appreciate the fact that as an infantryman you are your country's teeth, and you will love life.
There are countless Soldiers who want to be high speed, paint their weapon and shoot people in the face. But when it comes doing the actual stuff that it takes to achieve that 5% of fun time, like time to do non-sexy training, like putting in the extra effort to really PT, or like saying goodbye to their fat girlfriend and shaving their head for Ranger School, everybody wants to complain that the Army sucks. Please do not be that guy.

This video was taken over a 3 week period. Nothing too crazy, this was after budget cuts hit, but if your leaders like to train this will be you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#45]
LOL, yup.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne Infantry.

This

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top