Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2013 7:47:23 PM EDT
Anyone here ever been stationed at Bagram Air Base? How nice is it? How are the living conditions, dfacs, and gyms? More info you can tell me the better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Was there in 09, was really muddy in the winter and freezing cold, the gyms were actually pretty decent I thought, Dfacs had decent food but they recycle the menu weekly, it gets old QUICK. Could definately be worse!
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There in 2010,

Bee huts and barracks for the most part.

Amazing BBQ chow hall on one side by the flight line.

Laundry took about 5 days

Multiple gyms, the AF one was the best.  Even had a crossfit gym if your into that.

Only got attacked a couple times a month.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There in 2010,

Multiple gyms, the AF one was the best.  Even had a crossfit gym if your into that.

View Quote

QFT, good lunch place!
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_132/1520096_Fun_with_rocket___.html

I'm currently at BAF. It all depends on job and where you live. Disney side isn't bad. Minus the herds of officers. Other side has nothing. I've lived on both sides. Ate at almost every dfac. Best are dragon and keole. There is no bbq dfac. What branch and job are you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There in 2010,

View Quote

Pretty much plus 10x more vehicles than the place needs.  That is unless your military...then you probably won't have one unless you're the general's driver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out ilovebagram.com that'll give you an idea what to expect lol
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I am Army National Guard and I am a 12B
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL at BAF
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll be in bhuts for sure. Army is lucky if they get anything better. Air force navy and officers have actual dorms
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Route Clearance or living the poguetastic fob life?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You'll be in bhuts for sure. Army is lucky if they get anything better. Air force navy and officers have actual dorms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when I was there, Camp McCool FTW!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is some navy in tents right now. But only because they're temp here. They were caught having butt sex in the showers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Bagram can lick my balls, bunch of overweight fuckity fucks there bragging they are in a combat zone.  Come spend time on my fob for a while.

Sorry, having a very bad day today, you may proceed.   Seriously Bagram sucks
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bagram can lick my balls, bunch of overweight fuckity fucks there bragging they are in a combat zone.  Come spend time on my fob for a while.

Sorry, having a very bad day today, you may proceed.   Seriously Bagram sucks
View Quote

It's cool bro, you are not wrong.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for that link, there is some great stuff at that site including my favorite WTF from eating at the Dragon DFAC:  "4085. ILB because the napkins in the utensil packs have been replaced with a white piece of paper, hooray for budget cuts!"  Yep, a simulated napkin in the utensil packs...

It was a very sad day for everyone on BAF when they closed the BBQ chowhall.  I left BAF in May and moved to KAF, the food is much better here, well at North Line chowhall anyway.

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for that link, there is some great stuff at that site including my favorite WTF from eating at the Dragon DFAC:  "4085. ILB because the napkins in the utensil packs have been replaced with a white piece of paper, hooray for budget cuts!"  Yep, a simulated napkin in the utensil packs...

It was a very sad day for everyone on BAF when they closed the BBQ chowhall.  I left BAF in May and moved to KAF, the food is much better here, well at North Line chowhall anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The food at KAF (contracted by Supreme) always made me want to hork. The lines were long and the food was all "international" so that no one from any country liked it. It's probably better now that the Canadians are gone. I just remember wondering why so many people were waiting an hour in line to get Subway, Burger King or Dominos, and then I went to the DFAC.

For the rest of my stay, I just took an NTV over to Camp Lindsey and enjoyed good food and no lines. I figured the minimal risk of getting shot at from those old russian block-house apartments was worth it.  

Anyone know if Camp Phoenix's BBQ DFAC is still jammin'?
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
went through BAF to get to my FOB in 2010 2011 and 2013. It seems ok but I wouldn't want to be there. And its much safer than being at a FOB taking IDF every other day
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Here right now.  This place is like a mixing pot of nations all thrown in to a way too small area.  36k people live on BAF.  If you go to Disney side, just keep your arm at salute while you walk, it's easier that way.  I'm off in the corner of base no one cares to visit.  Food sucks but I only ever eat midnight and bfast due to my shift.  The jail seems to have better food than Grady (sp?) by the dorms, which I find hilarious.  Rocket attacks were crazy for about a month there and seem to have died off with Ramadan coming to an end.  One whizzed over my head at the perimeter, that was a good time.  BRING YOUR OWN SHOWER GEL AND DEODORANT and lots of it.  the shit is seriously scarce here.  Mail averages 7-8 days, which is fast if you ask me.  And laundry is better now at about 3 days turn around.  That includes the day you drop it off.  And try not to buy too much from those thieves at the bazaar.  It's all foreign bullshit that's marked up 200%.  They are making bank on the morons that buy that crap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here right now.  This place is like a mixing pot of nations all thrown in to a way too small area.  36k people live on BAF.  If you go to Disney side, just keep your arm at salute while you walk, it's easier that way.  I'm off in the corner of base no one cares to visit.  Food sucks but I only ever eat midnight and bfast due to my shift.  The jail seems to have better food than Grady (sp?) by the dorms, which I find hilarious.  Rocket attacks were crazy for about a month there and seem to have died off with Ramadan coming to an end.  One whizzed over my head at the perimeter, that was a good time.  BRING YOUR OWN SHOWER GEL AND DEODORANT and lots of it.  the shit is seriously scarce here.  Mail averages 7-8 days, which is fast if you ask me.  And laundry is better now at about 3 days turn around.  That includes the day you drop it off.  And try not to buy too much from those thieves at the bazaar.  It's all foreign bullshit that's marked up 200%.  They are making bank on the morons that buy that crap.
View Quote

That's true about the bazaar on BAF. I lived about 45 minutes north of BAF in Charikar for awhile, and our terps went out and had one of the local blacksmiths bring some knives and kukri's to us. I got a handmade kukri with my name and rank engraved on it and one with my dad's name for $25. Those same ones were selling for 50-60 each at the BAF bazaar when I was leaving lol. The rugs and shit there are also a massive rip, I got a really nice rug at FOB Ghazni's bazaar for $20. Similar ones were $100+ at BAF. Only trinket I bought at BAF were some small sapphires for my wife. Think I spent like $50.00 on 4-6 decent sized stones. Took them to my jeweler here in the states and he examined them, said they were worth much much more and made my wife a very nice set of earrings with them. Wish I had bought more of those.

Also, this guy is right, at least a couple years ago the jail had the absolute best DFAC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#22]
NUCadet, when were you in Ghazni?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NUCadet, when were you in Ghazni?
View Quote

PM Sent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I was there back in 06 and used to go to the Korean Snack bar by the ROK (not ROC /facepalm) camp Friday to beat the crowd at the DFAC. May be heading that way again and was hoping it is still around, loved that place.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Camp Phoenix only has a few days left in operation, all the amenities are gone.  

As for BAF, sucks just as everyone said.  

I saw someone with a soft shoes profile here yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are still on BAF shoot me a pm. I'm one of the few USCG guys here and a NH native.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lived in a B-Hut for 7 months as an Air Force officer, but that was in 2011. We (meaning my particular expeditionary unit) moved to dorms around the time of this post, I think.

When I left at the beginning of this year, they were tearing down all of the B-huts. APPARENTLY, rotten, termite infested, dried out plywood huts strung up with 30 surge protectors don't stand up to the shitty electric grid or IDF too well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you are still on BAF shoot me a pm. I'm one of the few USCG guys here and a NH native.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always wondered who the guys I saw in USCG shirts pissed off to get there
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got told I'm deploying to Bagram next spring.....with all these posts about what they're tearing down I wonder if there's going to be anything left...

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just got told I'm deploying to Bagram next spring.....with all these posts about what they're tearing down I wonder if there's going to be anything left...

View Quote

BAF is supposed to be one of the "enduring" bases, so it will be there. I'm sure 90% of the amenities will still be there as well since all those officers need their MWRs and what not..
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I left at the beginning of this year, there was still millions of dollars of construction ongoing. I'll be there up until about the time you head out, so I'll be able to let you know what's still there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Out here again now...pretty much all of the B-Huts are gone, and those left are scheduled for demo. They're hardening the whole base for the enduring mission, so everybody's getting moved into dorms with transients staying in tents. They've cut back on some things like midnight chow at some of the DFACs, no more Rip-Its (what. the. fuck....), if you haven't been there in a long time--the North BX and barbershop are gone, etc. But overall it's not that different....most of the stuff is still here.

No idea about East side of base...haven't been over there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad to hear that Phoenix is gone, we had a SWEET smoke spot called the Tiki Hut that they had enclosed for during winter and a deck on top we held our summer meetings (TCAC). They had just finished the last RLB;s and moved the gym up near them in an old building back in 2011.

Back on topic, I was in BAF on my way to/from leave in 2011, I stuck near the flight line but they had a pretty sweet USO named after the pro-football Ranger that got killed, Pat Tillman. Going from the last no-salute base to that place they call BAF sucked. Things around the air terminal seemed farther away. In all, wasn't that bad, but Phoenix just had that cool factor, we had Rambo. Our Afghani security that beat the hell out of local nationals trying to start stuff
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
There in 2012, it was pretty sweet. Though I heard the DFACs are serving crap now. The gyms are awesome and the bazaars have some pretty good deals(if you haggle for them). The draw down probably is making not so fun though. The good news is, you'll only be there for a little while!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was there back in 06 and used to go to the Korean Snack bar by the ROK (not ROC /facepalm) camp Friday to beat the crowd at the DFAC. May be heading that way again and was hoping it is still around, loved that place.
View Quote

Don't think the Koreans are still here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There in 2012, it was pretty sweet. Though I heard the DFACs are serving crap now. The gyms are awesome and the bazaars have some pretty good deals(if you haggle for them). The draw down probably is making not so fun though. The good news is, you'll only be there for a little while!
View Quote

DFAC's serving the same shit they have for years, under the same contract (Fluor). For cafeteria food it's actually pretty decent, but like anything, the same 10 meals in rotation gets old fast.

They shut down/took down the clamshell gym on Disney, but the Rock is still going strong. Think they opened another one further down by Khole, too? Not sure though. Draw down hasn't been terrible for me so far...most stuff is still here. Bagram will be around with a U.S. presence for many, many more years and they're transitioning to that mindset.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Koreans left a few months ago. And it seems like the Georgians took their place.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah the Georgians basically took the whole base over for the most part. They are
Smell and are total dbags. Chow now takes over two hours to get your food because the lines are so long. To hell with BAF and to hell with Afghanistan
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Speaking of chow...going to go grab some.

Not a fan of "steak" night though
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

No crab legs today at Dragon
It's always fun, trying to figure out ways to crack open the legs with those cheap ass plastic utensils.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's always fun, trying to figure out ways to crack open the legs with those cheap ass plastic utensils.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

being in a war zone is a mother fucker
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm in Kabul near the US embassy, they have surf n turf on Fridays with crab legs and steak. Its like a 20 minute walk and it pisses me off every time I go over there seeing the apartments and housing they have over there compared with what were staying in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm in Kabul near the US embassy, they have surf n turf on Fridays with crab legs and steak. Its like a 20 minute walk and it pisses me off every time I go over there seeing the apartments and housing they have over there compared with what were staying in.
View Quote

My setup on BAF would be considered nice by many college dorm standards now.

Figures it took shipping out with the Army to get the best housing I've had yet lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:20:42 AM EDT
[#44]
There are some nice dorms here but I'm not in one of those. Were in those metal shipping containers you see on boats or trains, three to a room. My college roommate is out here too so I bunked with him. Might have gotten one of the nice dorms but Im content I guess.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#45]
We were there for a week playing the RSOI/Camp warrior waiting game. That area was pretty shitty. We slept in the big clamshells, and with everyone coming and going all hours of the day, it was bleh. 95 degrees during the day and 40 at night.

Decent USO. The DFAC at warrior was amazing. Kind of cool to see all of the other country's people walk around too. We ended up flying out of shank to romania, then home. I definitely would have liked to spend a more than a few days there. It's crazy how quiet it was there compared to generators/aircraft/etc we were used to. Enjoy your time there if you go through there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Koreans left a few months ago. And it seems like the Georgians took their place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  With the Koreans gone perhaps others will get cereal at breakfast.

BTW, do those evil Russian women still run the transient and VIP room assigning?  I do hope they were given a ticket to the fighting in the Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Rolling out to BAF in a week or so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Thankfully i'll just be passing through there next month on to my final destination.  The less time on Bagram, the better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Hope and pray to whatever god you believe in, that you do not have to live on the East side.

This District 9 looking, motherfucking, useless side of the base doesn't have anything, so if you want to do anything besides eat and sleep you have to take the bus to the other side of the base.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_132/1520096_Fun_with_rocket___.html

I'm currently at BAF. It all depends on job and where you live. Disney side isn't bad. Minus the herds of officers. Other side has nothing. I've lived on both sides. Ate at almost every dfac. Best are dragon and keole. There is no bbq dfac. What branch and job are you.
View Quote

There was when I was there in 11-12. It was on the far end of Disney near where the local workers came in everyday, if I recall correctly. The aid station that I worked in sometimes was about 100yards from it. Wasn't there too often, mostly in ghazni and south. I don't know if it was named "bbq" but it served bbq everyday. I got sick of eating it after a day or so......

Doc
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top