Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2014 4:19:45 PM EDT

From a NY Post article:Rose was a gabber. It came as small surprise to those who covered him that he later would admit to an on-the-job appreciation of “Mother’s Little Helpers” — amphetamines, speed. And on this night, unsolicited, he engaged us in rat-a-tat conversation.

His chosen topic was startling, dumbfounding: The recently concluded NCAA Basketball Tournament, specifically how missed free throws down the stretch “absolutely killed me.”

Thirty-plus years later, I can’t accurately quote all he said, but that one phrase about how missed free throws late in games “absolutely killed me” remains fixed.

Wednesday, I checked with Tom Merritt, who was an NBC Sports publicist and one of the fellows with us behind the cage. He, too, recalls Rose’s “absolutely killed me,” and how, when Rose walked away, he left us blown away.

We said then what we recall now: Rose’s voluntary friendliness and the topic he unilaterally chose to indiscreetly discuss was weird.

After all, the missed, late free throws he spoke of as “killers” didn’t alter the games’ outcomes. But they did determine the winner of against-the-line bets. Why would he leave us with the clear impression he had bet on college basketball? He didn’t know us from Rin Tin Tin.

"
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Say what you want.... the media   never tells the story  that Pete Rose  only bet for his team to win......
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that any commissioner of baseball is going to reverse his ban. If it were up to me, the I would tell Rose that he will be eligible for consideration for the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee, but only posthumously. I would also allow the Reds and/or Phillies retire his number if they choose, but also, only posthumously.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I would bet money that when Rose dies, he will be inducted into the hall. If I were Rose, I would write something up by my lawyer that MLB is not allowed to use my name for any purpose.

How much of a joke will MLB be in 50 years when kids ask why the guys with the most home runs in history and the most hits in history aren't in the Hall of Fame? As if the HoF isn't a joke now
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a whole lot banned from baseball even before 1920
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would bet money that when Rose dies, he will be inducted into the hall. If I were Rose, I would write something up by my lawyer that MLB is not allowed to use my name for any purpose.

How much of a joke will MLB be in 50 years when kids ask why the guys with the most home runs in history and the most hits in history aren't in the Hall of Fame? As if the HoF isn't a joke now
View Quote

The funny part is, Bonds and the other "steroid era" players aren't going to get in. Clemens, Rafael Palmerio (300 HR's and 3000 hits), Sammy Sosa, McGwire, etc. aren't going to get elected either.

The ONE rule that was posted on EVERY locker room door from A ball to MLB was NEVER bet on baseball. Rose broke the rule. I could give 2 shits whether he bet on his team to win every time. He bet on the game. Did he pull a starter too early because he was behind? Did he leave a reliever in too long because the reliever was doing well, and then over pitch him? Did he juggle the lineup because he had a bet on the game? You'll never know.

Rose fucked with something that has been taboo since the 1918 Black Sox. He thought he was bigger than baseball because of his accomplishments, and he was wrong. I've have always maintained that he thought he was bigger than the game. He found out the hard way, he wasn't.

Fuck him. The only way he should ever get in the hall is by buying a ticket.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The funny part is, Bonds and the other "steroid era" players aren't going to get in. Clemens, Rafael Palmerio (300 HR's and 3000 hits), Sammy Sosa, McGwire, etc. aren't going to get elected either.

The ONE rule that was posted on EVERY locker room door from A ball to MLB was NEVER bet on baseball. Rose broke the rule. I could give 2 shits whether he bet on his team to win every time. He bet on the game. Did he pull a starter too early because he was behind? Did he leave a reliever in too long because the reliever was doing well, and then over pitch him? Did he juggle the lineup because he had a bet on the game? You'll never know.

Rose fucked with something that has been taboo since the 1918 Black Sox. He thought he was bigger than baseball because of his accomplishments, and he was wrong. I've have always maintained that he thought he was bigger than the game. He found out the hard way, he wasn't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. professional athletes are on the inside, privy to a lot of info gamblers would love, a slipperly slope when someone inside is gambling especially on his own sport
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.  No doubt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that, especially as time passes.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they don't make it after a certain amount of times, I think 3, it becomes more difficult to get in
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
that's funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top