Need parental controls/lockdown/filtersing for iPhone.  Would like:

Filtered Youtube
Filtered Snapchat
Filtered Facebook
(all "social media" etc)
Ability to block contacts and read text messages
Ability to OK/block youtube channels, videos etc
Not hackable by a smart child, ie, parents install it and child can't bypass

Time constraints would be good too, ie, phone shuts off or data shuts off from 10PM to 7AM.

I have done some reading of the various options out there.  What do you use?  What do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I used endpointprotector in an enterprise setting for DLP/MDM and it works.  It's expensive and does some of those things.  Employees were given company handsets and notified in writing there was dlp software on them and the reasons why.

For a kid there may be some better way to handle MDM but even the enterprise software was not 100%.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont believe there will ever be a workable youtube, snapchat, facebook, etc filter.

but we use screentime.  it uses safebrowser.  you are parent/admin get complete control, its a deal for 100/year
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
App filters will not filter content, aka software available to us will not filter a dick pic versus a pic of the family dog on snap chat. Unfortunately the best route is raising your kids right, keeping them away from the bad crowd, and if all else fails give them a flip phone.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
App filters will not filter content, aka software available to us will not filter a dick pic versus a pic of the family dog on snap chat. Unfortunately the best route is raising your kids right, keeping them away from the bad crowd, and if all else fails give them a flip phone.
View Quote
I am 100% in agreement with this and I trust my kids (for the most part, I am not naive).  But their idiot friends are another story.  When they are upstairs getting ready for school in the morning they like to have a silly video or something along those lines playing.  I know from my own youtube use that one innocent video followed by the next automatic innocent video followed by the next can suddenly lead to massively horrible content.

Someone had mentioned that there is a youtube kids app, like maybe something that restricts only videos of a certain rating (not that they're all correct but its a start).  I need to look into that.

The ability to read text messages and block senders is paramount however.  I've seen several software packages that do it, so I know its a popular thing, just hoping to find software that sucks the least.

The kids know that they have no privacy and that we can take and examine their phone at any time -- and we do.  But it would be nice to have something else.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Once they are in the app I don’t think there’s anyway to filter content. That would have to be done by the app itself. 

You can setup restrictions and approve each app. If you don’t want them using stuff like FB messenger then don’t approve that app. On their phone go to settings>General>restrictions. Enable them and use a unique pin. Then you can setup a variety of restrictions. 

Make sure their iphones are part of your family group and are sharing their location with you. Also know their Apple ID login info and password. Do Icloud backups and if you need to you can download an iCloud backup to another phone. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]
youtube kids is really youtube "toddler"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top