Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 10:09:29 AM EDT
A couple of neat new features I’ll actually use. Screen record is one of them.

This initial public beta seems a bit more buggy than the iOS 9 & 10 betas. I haven’t found anything device breaking, however.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't touch an iOS beta on a device I actually cared about. It's easier to get out of the Mafia than it is to get a phone unregistered from their Beta program.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I have a new 10.5” iPad Pro which half the marketing is based on iOS 11 features. Runs about 90 percent as well as a public release build and I didn’t want to wait until Sep to get the new features. The iPad is amazing and runs cool even with gaming. Depending on what I’m doing I’m getting 8 to 14 hours of battery life. I took a screenshot yesterday at 50% battery left and it was at 7hrs of screen on time. For beta 2 that is phenomenal and should only get better. 

My iPhone 7 is also on 11 and it’s WAY buggier but nothing so bad I would go back to 10. The worst has been connectivity dropping out which is easily fixed with turning wifi off then back on and occcasionally some background process will get hung up as the phone will get warm for a few minutes then back to normal. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't touch an iOS beta on a device I actually cared about. It's easier to get out of the Mafia than it is to get a phone unregistered from their Beta program.
View Quote
Betas are done through profiles now you have to download either from the dev portal or through the public beta site. They used to be registered to developer accounts with the UDID. Now people can put a beta on their phone, roll back, and with an encrypted iTunes backup be on the public release cycle very easy. 

My Apple products run betas the vast majority of the time and have done so for years without significant issues and roll backs are very easy with the right backups. A lot of devs do not have the funds to have an entire set of hardware just for app development and have to use their personal hardware. The public betas also allow Apple to collect a significant amount of data before builds go live to the masses. Craig Federigi did an interview with 
John Gruber and said stability is way up (in the period they started public betas). 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have also noticed that it sometimes takes two or three tries to close apps and some keys are missing from the landscape keyboard.

Attachment Attached File

Hope that gets sorted with the next update.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Betas are done through profiles now you have to download either from the dev portal or through the public beta site. They used to be registered to developer accounts with the UDID. Now people can put a beta on their phone, roll back, and with an encrypted iTunes backup be on the public release cycle very easy. 

View Quote
Good to know. I still won't partake, but I'm glad they cleaned up that process.

And as someone who deals with a lot of telemetry, I'm also sold on public troubleshooting for a lot of scenarios.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Public Beta 2 just dropped.

Just in time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top