Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 10:50:06 PM EDT
I am going to replace my Qnap TS-231.

I am tired of losing connection to it and of it stupid slow response time. I am using WD Red 3TB drives in it now.

I would like to build my own NAS and I want instant response. Should I say with the 5400 reds or should I go for the 7200 reds?

I will also be using my NAS to record video from 3 IP cameras.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You're going to need to provide more details than just "5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM"
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I may wrong but if you are using the NAS for IP camera video storage you would probably be better served by having a separate purple drive and then separate drives for what ever else you are doing, ideally you would use separate computer for IP cameras.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I run IP cams and the DVR on a different network with a cross connect to my regular LAN for remote access. This way the continuous traffic from the CAMS doesn't interfere with my work and my work can't cause dropped frames in the recordings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I am asking because I loose connection to my Qnap NAS every single day.

I dont want to build 2 computers, I just want one that will work as a NAS for my files and IP cameras.

The cameras are 1080p so there is no loss of frames on a gigabit connection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"I want instant response"

and you are discussing the use of 5400 rpm drives?
View Quote
Right?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am asking because I loose connection to my Qnap NAS every single day.

I dont want to build 2 computers, I just want one that will work as a NAS for my files and IP cameras.

The cameras are 1080p so there is no loss of frames on a gigabit connection.
View Quote
Have you confirmed this connectivity issue is actually with the NAS and not your network segment?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you confirmed this connectivity issue is actually with the NAS and not your network segment?
View Quote
Yes.

Stupid NAS goes into some sort of power saving mode and I can only regain connection to it by manually restarting it. I have looked through the NAS options but I cannot find anything.

I can view my cams with some software. One of the cams runs through the switch that connections my NAS to my network. Cams work fine, NAS not so much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.

Stupid NAS goes into some sort of power saving mode and I can only regain connection to it by manually restarting it. I have looked through the NAS options but I cannot find anything.

I can view my cams with some software. One of the cams runs through the switch that connections my NAS to my network. Cams work fine, NAS not so much.
View Quote
By Synology
Set it up
???
Profit!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you put the newest firmware on it? 

Please define Instant Response. 
Responding quickly to a network request is entirely NAS hardware related, but high throughput depends on # of drives, drive speed, RAID selection, and if you're using encryption on the volumes. 

I recently replaced a failing TS469L with a TS-431x. Cheaper build quality, but good price. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
WD MycloudEX2Ultra and a pair of 4 or 8TB drives (RED) have 64MB buffers and the NAS "head" has some caching as well.

I get 80MB/sec sustained with an 8GB video file write on 1GbE through a GOOD 24 port switch.

Shitty switches are shit... drives don't matter
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Really depends on how many dri es you want and how they are set up. Over the network max file transfer speed will be the bottleneck most of the time then multiple drives. I have 3 3tb hgst nas drives in raid 5 and they are from what i saw the cheapist 7200 nas type drives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top