Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
I need to replace at least one HP P3015.
Workload apprx 3000 pages a month.
High-ish capacity feed and output trays are a must, as are wired ethernet and economy.

I've worked out the HP printing costs at about $0.019 a page.
The TN850 and TN880 toners for the Brother 6200 come out to $0.011375 and $0.0088333 per page respectively. 

Are there any other concerns I need to factor in? Does the Brother use separate toner transfer units or an all-in-one cartridge like the HPs do? Are they a pain when hung from a Windows print server? Other annoying qualities?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Small business, yes.  Corporate?  Never seen them myself.

The brothers I've used have separate toner and drum units.   Two of the small places I take care of use them, and keep them until they die.  Out of all of them that they've used for >10 years, I think I've replaced two drums.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, we're an SMB, but we print like a corporation! 

Drums - ick. This printer uses the DR820 drum. Brother specs the drum at 30-50k pages. Factoring that into the CPP eats most of my savings, putting it right about in line with HP 87x toners for an HP M506.

Without an appreciable cost savings, and assuming we'll be running these to 200 or 300 thousand pages, I'm not sure I can sell the Brother over an HP. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I just found the selling point... for the same operating cost (or maybe a hair less) and similar purchase prices, I can put in two 6200DW printers as a printer pool, or one HP 506. 

Redundancy AND serving two print jobs simultaneously. :-)

And another selling point... $220 for a new printer or about the same for a professional refurb of an old gear crunching HP with 200-300 thousand pages printed. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have about a half dozen MFC-9460CDN units and no problems with any.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm torn... part of my goal is to reduce the different types of toner we stock. 

Adding the Brothers will increase that count by one, but buying a refurb P3015s for about the same price will keep me as-is, and if I can retire my P3005 printers in favor of said refurbs, the number will go down by one.

New Brother vs Refurb HP... :-/
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Update - got one in yesterday - fairly easy to get up and running.

We are testing it now. If it works well, I'll order in another and some extra toner. When they start cranking out high volumes of paper again, I think they'll like the pooled dual printer setup. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I run several for exec use, no problems. Look here to save a little money.    
toner reset
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
We've been burned with reman toners on our HPs. Even factoring in the cost of OEM, the CPP on these will be at or lower than the HP they're replacing. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top