Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:55:57 PM EDT
That searches the whole interwebs, NOT my site. All ive found is how to do one that searches my site.

I wrote a start page that my browser opens up to (browser's home page) that has links to all the common places i go, a weather widget, and some search boxes, but the Google one I do not use anymore because the auto complete on their site (and in the address/search bar in chrome) kicks ass. I want the search box on my start page to do the same auto-complete as google & chrome, so I use it again.

help!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to do it with google cse:

https://cse.google.com/cse/
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I looked on there, and when you go to set one up, it asks what domain or subdomain you want to search in, there was no option to select the whole internet. I think if i put to search google.com in there it would search that website itself and not the internet as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I looked on there, and when you go to set one up, it asks what domain or subdomain you want to search in, there was no option to select the whole internet. I think if i put to search google.com in there it would search that website itself and not the internet as a whole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to choose a domain.  You can leave it blank and use schema type(s) under the advanced options instead.

Here is a list of the schema types.  I'm not sure exactly what it is you want to be able to look for, but you might want to look at types such as WebPage, WebSite, CreativeWork, Organization, and Thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I want to google search, like you do from google.com, with the same auto complete in the text box, at google.com, but have that functionality on my start page.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
So the search box on any modern browser doesn't work for this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want to google search, like you do from google.com, with the same auto complete in the text box, at google.com, but have that functionality on my start page.
View Quote
I don't know exactly what schema types are in the default google search.  Everything falls under the "Thing" schema, though, so you can just set your schema type to that and leave the domain blank.  That should search everything.

Here is a little bit about using the schema types with your CSE.

Another option would be to simply load google.com into a frame or div on your starter page.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So the search box on any modern browser doesn't work for this?
View Quote
Of course it does.  I assume that he is just trying to use it as a learning experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top