Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 8:55:22 PM EDT
https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-jetpack-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot-ac791l/#sku=sku1730027?cmp=CSE-C-HQ-NON-R-AC-NONE-NONE-2C0PX0-PX-PLA-AC791LVWQ&cvosrc=cse.google.AC791LVWQ&cvo_crid=57663203847#?sku=1730027
I dont stream movies or game excessively just gun forums and occaisonal short vids
Worth $50/mo for the moderate use data only plan?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine works fine, I use it with the square cash register system for my business, clears credit cards for me, never tried streaming anything with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I play Battlefield one on the Playstation network and stream Netflix.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Killer just pulled the trigger. I got the $50 mo package. Is there any warning if i start to exceed allowed data and/or a way to view data left?
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have on issued by work and it's been good. Once in a while it will freak out and requires a restart.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Sim card?

Wonder what would happen if you put an udp phone card in it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a JetPack about 5 years ago. Now I just use my Note4 as a hotspot when I need it
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Killer just pulled the trigger. I got the $50 mo package. Is there any warning if i start to exceed allowed data and/or a way to view data left?
Thanks guys
View Quote

It's been a couple of years since I used one but yes, there is an interface to see data usage.

You can also hook them up to a "real" router for larger area coverage/LAN.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I set a friend up with one and I use one at the shooting range I work at.

They work but they are not without issues.

They run best if they are periodically rebooted
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one I use for work. It is a nice device and has been proven to be a very fast.
We use it for both wireless hotspot as well as a USB modem to connect a temporary router to the internet.

Buy with confidence, this is a good box.

Also it is one of the few with external antenna jacks. If you happen to be on the fringe edge of coverage you can purchase high gain antennas and extend your coverage and bandwidth significantly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Been on it 4 hours .
Super easy setup. Curious how it'll do mobile.
Also curious how much data I've burned
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Late to the party, but why don't you just use your phone?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Late to the party, but why don't you just use your phone?
View Quote

I have a pos company phone it is unlimited and only $20/mo but its a pos lg.

Back to jet pack..im already at 1.4 gig usage out of 4 gig free. In only what 3 days!
Will powering down when not in use conserve any data?
Thx
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, there is an "unlimited data" hack to the jetpacks, you can only go up to 3G service (no 4G) when using the hacked jetpacks but it's cheap ($5/mo). This is my only reasonable (less than $100/mo) internet option where I'm at and I love it!

You want to search out "flashed Verizon jetpack" on ebay. From what I understand they flash the jetpack to appear to be an old dumb-phone so Verizon's network doesn't monitor data consumption, because you aren't using voice or text, and data is unmonitored it looks like an unused phone on the network and you simply just have to add $5/mo to the phone account to keep the line active.

ETA, slowest speed I've had (it was slow enough to make me stop and run a speed test) was ~500 kbps, fastest I've seen is 3.1 Gbps. So you have to be ok with slower speeds, we're able to stream Netflix with minimal problems however.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
fastest I've seen is 3.1 Gbps.
View Quote

I think there is a typo in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top