Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2017 12:30:26 AM EDT
Usually this is easy for me as I'm in IT...
I moved, using the same comcast service with my same personally owned modem & router. Same setup, nothing changed except internet IP.
Same WiFi SSID, same password, same IP configuration, same WPA2 security.

I am unable to connect ANYTHING to the wireless. iPhone, laptop, 2 TV's. I see the SSID, & I keep getting incorrect password. The password is not incorrect. The same iPhone & laptop can connect to any other WiFi at work or elsewhere.

I tried switching it to open with no security & the devices try to connect then disconnect.
I tried filtering by MAC address, no change
I tried changing wireless channels(tried them all) no change
I tried 3 different wireless routers, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, using the default settings, all the same results
I tried resetting TCPIP stacks, flushing DNS, reinstalling drivers, resetting network settings, still nothing

At this point I think someone in my new complex has a jammer or is flooding the wireless channels.

I'm at a loss.....

Suggestions please.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You're going to need to take the modem/router outside.  In the light of a full moon draw a pentagram on the ground with chalk made from the dust of the bones of your mortal enemy and your own blood.  Place a red candle at every intersection point in the pentagram.  Then slay a virgin chicken and consume its blood.  Finally placing the modem/router in the center of the pentagram, and set it on fire.

That should totally solve this problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Either you have some really bad interference or the radio in your router is on its way to retirement...

I just replaced an AP at my office for a similar reason.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Get this for the laptop (great for other IT purposes too):

Or, get WiFI Analyzer for your iPhone (there are a couple.)

You could spot a jammer that way.

Though, it sounds like turning off a warm router and moving it killed an already dodgey radio in it and you are best off just replacing the thing. Especially if it's several years old.  Jammers are highly illegal and there's not much point to using one in a residential area. So I doubt it's that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not the router. I bought a brand new Linksys to test, as well as a friends D-Link. I also took the router to another house & it connects just fine on WIFi alone.  The modem has been replaced to test.  Original was a Motorola, test unit was brand new Netgear.  The problem is the same if I eliminate the modem.

I actually did download that scanner & it said I had to have a key & wouldn't launch.(got it from Major Geeks) I'll see if I can find another version.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a screenshot. Most everyone was on 11 or 6. I changed to 8. My networks are NET & NET-5G. I have good signal. It is crowded though something like 30 AP's were found.
Still will not connect on any device.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not the router. I bought a brand new Linksys to test, as well as a friends D-Link. I also took the router to another house & it connects just fine on WIFi alone.  The modem has been replaced to test.  Original was a Motorola, test unit was brand new Netgear.  The problem is the same if I eliminate the modem.

I actually did download that scanner & it said I had to have a key & wouldn't launch.(got it from Major Geeks) I'll see if I can find another version.

Thanks
View Quote
Yeah the new version is paid.  Older ones were free though so if you can find one....

Dumb question, are you in the same room with line of sight when testing?  Maybe there's something dumb in the wall you are trying to go through....
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
tell all devices to forget the network , re-enter wifi info . if that dont work , i would factory reset the router and redo it all .
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you check your DHCP assignment/range?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of sick asshole would use channel 8?

That said, different hardware and different SSIDs and it still won't connect, I'd assume some sort of interference, if you force 5GHz only does it do anything different?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you make sure the provider (Comcast) has the router MAC address registered for your new service location?

When I,replaced my router last year, I had to call Comcast for them to add my new hardware to their account...
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep. I tried all of the above.
What I did find is that I can take my router to another location, work, GF's, relative, Starbucks etc, plug it in & connect any wireless device perfectly fine to it.  SO I brought the router, phone & laptop along & connected each to the router.  Then plugged it all back in at my house & so far I'm on wireless. The phone & laptop has remembered the connection.
My 1 TV I can run a 50ft cable along the floor when I need WiFi, & my other TV is already hard wired.

I'm fine with this. I give up now. Must be something in the walls.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
CLARIFY to you connect to router but not internet or will it not login to wireless network at all?

Do you get cell coverage in this apartment?
Only thing I have seen block wifi was concrete block walls of a church.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i've been in houses where WIFI would travel 20 feet and then a dead zone.

its like wireless magnets were below the house just draining the life of the the signal.    the strangest thing i have EVER seen
View Quote
That happened at my mom's house.  Cable modem in downstairs office, wifi router right next to it.  Everything worked great until one day, no wifi.  Bought new wifi router, it worked fine inside the office (about 10'x10' room) but signal would drop as soon as I walked out of the room!  I discussed with the IT department network guys, searched the internet for hours, nothing out there that helped.  Replaced cable modem, wifi router worked great again.  I can't imagine what the heck was happening to cause that.
Top Top