Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 9:46:21 PM EDT
My 12 y/o makes videos.
I haven't opened up a PC in a while so I'm not up on the latest processors or video cards.
It would be cool to build one with him, so I'm looking at THIS .
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz CPU,
ASUS H110M-E/M.2 mATX MOBO,
G.SKILL Aegis 8GB DDR4 2133,
Team Group L7 EVO 2.5" 120GB SSD,
Rosewill Line-M mATX CASE,
ASUS GeForce GTX 950 Mini GPU,
EVGA 430W PSU

I know I will need an OS.
Opinions?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I built my box for gaming yet it works great for video editing. x99s chipset and I went lower price for the six core vs the 8 core and older video card at the time for 4GB on it. Yet I went 32GB RAM DDR4 and that makes all the difference for what every you are building it for. Video editing goes quick and have yet to find a game with full graphics that starts to tax my system and built it for less than $2k.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with an i5 instead of an i3, a bare minimum of 16GB of ram, and a 1060 at a minimum for a graphics card.  Plus a real case and motherboard, micro cases are going to be a problem for heat dissipation using real components (if a real graphics card would even fit).

The i3 is the baby chip in intel's lineup, the GTX 950 is obsolete.

Also you're going to need a slightly better power supply and you should probably throw in a 2TB spinning platter drive for storage -- the SSD is great for your OS but that's not enough space for video editing.

And Windows 10 for the operating system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd go with an i5 instead of an i3, a bare minimum of 16GB of ram, and a 1060 at a minimum for a graphics card.  Plus a real case and motherboard, micro cases are going to be a problem for heat dissipation using real components (if a real graphics card would even fit).

Also you're going to need a slightly better power supply and you should probably throw in a 2TB spinning platter drive for storage -- the SSD is great for your OS but that's not enough space for video editing.

View Quote

Pretty much all of this.

I would argue that, while the GTX950 is obsolete, it's perfectly qualified for video editing.  Premiere could use it's Cuda cores, and most other 'light' editing software doesn't even do that.

Agree that an i5 should be the minimum.

Agree about the separate 2TB platter drive for video storage.

Agree about the power supply.  Weird problems arise from barely adequate power supplies.

Not so sure I agree about the RAM.  Most 'light' editing programs are not multi-thread apps, and even if they are they tend not use a whole bunch of RAM.  I do light editing on my i5 laptop, which has 4GB of RAM, and it works fine.  Get 16GB if you can, for sure.  But 8GB is plenty.

I only use Windows 7 for the editing systems I build.  I know I'll have to move to 10 eventually.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pretty much all of this.

I would argue that, while the GTX950 is obsolete, it's perfectly qualified for video editing.  Premiere could use it's Cuda cores, and most other 'light' editing software doesn't even do that.

Agree about the power supply.  Weird problems arise from barely adequate power supplies.

Not so sure I agree about the RAM.  Most 'light' editing programs are not multi-thread apps, and even if they are they tend not use a whole bunch of RAM.  I do light editing on my i5 laptop, which has 4GB of RAM, and it works fine.  Get 16GB if you can, for sure.  But 8GB is plenty.

I only use Windows 7 for the editing systems I build.  I know I'll have to move to 10 eventually.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much all of this.

It probably depends on what you're going to use for software.  4GB is basically the bare minimum to run an OS since Windows 7, 8 is a little better, 16 should be the current standard.  It's cheap enough that it doesn't really matter anymore -- I've got 64 in my machine, but it's a dual processor Xeon, and 64 is literally the minimum to utilize that system.

The 950 is probably an okay card, it's just that for not much more you can get something in the next generation that will be faster and more future proof.  Nothing's really running DX12 now, but in a couple of years it will be and older cards will probably not support it as well as a current generation card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top