Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 7:40:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Not the same issue, but we keep getting the various cant connect to Netflix issues.  I have to logout, clear data, and log back in.  Pretty much once a week or more.  We have 30mb speed.  I really think it is an issue on Netflix's side of things.  Lots of people with similar issues.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
we get the dreaded 25% issue repeatedly.

up to 25%, hangs.

restart, up to 25%, hangs.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

exact same issue 25%
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we get the dreaded 25% issue repeatedly.

up to 25%, hangs.

restart, up to 25%, hangs.

exact same issue 25%

Neither Amazon or Hulu do anything close to this on our systems.  Has to be something with Netflix getting disconnected during buffering/loading.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Flush your web cache and update to the latest version of Silverlight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

this is on a smart tv and apple tv, got instructions for that?

thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flush your web cache and update to the latest version of Silverlight.

this is on a smart tv and apple tv, got instructions for that?

thanks

Well shit.  I sometimes forget not everyone runs a home theater PC....

I'd update the firmware on the TV then.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
i have tried just about everything for firestick and Fire TV.  the latter seems to be better as it is wired vs. wifi.

Cleared cache, reinstalled, lowered quality via NF settings page, etc.  Nothing.

It is repeatable.  25%, restart, 25% restart, etc - after about 5-7 times it works without more 25% errors.

frustrating as heck as I have a 75M connection and NO issues on Hulu or Amazon
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
comcast.  i was using OpenDNS and that gave me issues based on geography, so I switched to 4.2.2.2 and one of the google DNS, maybe 8.8.8.8.  That fixed the issues I was having with Open DNS's server.

you have other suggestions?  I am all ears

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Netflix is working great for me. 20MB down. And I watch a lot of 4K video.

I wonder if your ISP is not screwing with you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The only way to go much further is to run a packet capture through the event and see if there are any TCP issues with the Netflix traffic like excessive retransmits, windowing problems/stop transmit, etc.

As we all probably know, once you get past the basic troubleshooting steps there are 87,000 things that can be causing problems.  From oddball routing and peering issues down to shit like DNS resolution and TCP/IP setting combos to driver version trouble.  That's the stuff that, unless you're pathologically inquisitive, causes us to recreate the copier scene from "Office Space".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been thinking this for a while... i called and haggled my bill down last year and they lowered my bill down... I also got an email that said my provisioning changed, I have a feeling I was put low low on the quota list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been thinking this for a while... i called and haggled my bill down last year and they lowered my bill down... I also got an email that said my provisioning changed, I have a feeling I was put low low on the quota list

Doing what brassburn suggests would tell you what's happening...but it's not easy. I think what he is suggesting is to use wireshark to capture packets from Netflix to your tv while Netflix is screwed up. Then analyze them to find the cause of the delay.

As I said, this is not easy to do. Unless you can install Netflix on your tv, which you can't, it is difficult to see the packets. The best way I know to do this is to obtain a hub, not a switch, and plug the tv into it. Then plug a computer with wireshark into the hub. Now the computer can see network traffic to the tv. But hubs are hard to find. I found one on eBay.

Now turn on Netflix and wireshark and let wireshark capture packets. Stop wireshark after the problem has occurred.

Now comes the hard part. Analyze the traffic and see what went wrong. Compare the traffic when Netflix was working to when it was not working. You may need a network engineer to help here.

Now comes a harder part. Do something to fix the problem. Most certainly the problem will be caused by one of three things...the tv, your network, or your isp. It also might be Netflix, but I doubt it.

If you have the latest driver for your tv, you probably can't do more than that. I have a Samsung 4K tv and it's drivers suck. Some things get fixed and other things get broken after every update. It's horrible web browser never works. And their support is awful.

You might be able to make changes to your router, if you find it is causing the problem.

If your isp is causing the problem, I'm afraid you're screwed. I doubt you will get them to fix anything. At that point I'd probably try another isp.

Maybe brassburn will chime in and correct me where I am incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I read that Pfsense and wireshark work well with each other. It should be easy for you to capture packets.

Do you have any other devices with Netflix? Apple TV, Roku, Xbox? If so, how do they work? If they also don't work, it's not a tv driver.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Well if your Apple TV can display Netflix videos at a high resolution, then it seems to me you will have proven the problem is with your TV....unless there is something weird in your router which screws up only certain IP addresses.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Doing what brassburn suggests would tell you what's happening...but it's not easy. I think what he is suggesting is to use wireshark to capture packets from Netflix to your tv while Netflix is screwed up. Then analyze them to find the cause of the delay.

As I said, this is not easy to do. Unless you can install Netflix on your tv, which you can't, it is difficult to see the packets. The best way I know to do this is to obtain a hub, not a switch, and plug the tv into it. Then plug a computer with wireshark into the hub. Now the computer can see network traffic to the tv. But hubs are hard to find. I found one on eBay.

Now turn on Netflix and wireshark and let wireshark capture packets. Stop wireshark after the problem has occurred.

Now comes the hard part. Analyze the traffic and see what went wrong. Compare the traffic when Netflix was working to when it was not working. You may need a network engineer to help here.

Now comes a harder part. Do something to fix the problem. Most certainly the problem will be caused by one of three things...the tv, your network, or your isp. It also might be Netflix, but I doubt it.

If you have the latest driver for your tv, you probably can't do more than that. I have a Samsung 4K tv and it's drivers suck. Some things get fixed and other things get broken after every update. It's horrible web browser never works. And their support is awful.

You might be able to make changes to your router, if you find it is causing the problem.

If your isp is causing the problem, I'm afraid you're screwed. I doubt you will get them to fix anything. At that point I'd probably try another isp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would capture between the router's WAN interface and the ISP to make sure the problem isn't caused by other traffic saturating the connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top