Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 1:32:31 AM EDT
I'm just genuinely curious and feel like posting somewhere other than GD for a change.  It seems there are LOTS of security/network/sysadmin types, but very rarely are there any arfcom software engineers/developers/whatever your title happens to be.

Maybe I'm alone
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope...you aren't alone.  I prefer to be called a code monkey though LOL.

Funny story.  About 8 years ago I wrote some backup software.  All was well until last Friday while using it on a home PC I set the destination to my C:\ to test something.  That would have been fine except I set the Sync option to YES and erased my entire C:\ in about 3 seconds...doh!

Needless to say that oversight has been corrected and I now don't allow root directories as the destination and I also put in a debug mode that will NEVER delete a file.  Apparently I was dumb back then and didn't check for that scenario but I sure do now as that sucked!

The real kick in the balls is that my Dropbox was still alive enough to sync all of the deletes before the machine died.  I realized it when I fired up another machine while rebuilding the one I killed and it said I deleted 6K files.  Happily my laptop was off so I unplugged my router so it couldn't get to the internet and put enerything back before I had to go to a backup drive since the laptop Dropbox folder was only a few hours old.

At least it wasn't my development machine at work.

The root lesson here is that backups are good and I love them :-)
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Web dev here...although lately I've been mostly server side...Code Monkey is my preferred title as well.

ASP.NET, C#, React/Redux/JS for client side stuff...building business applications for my employer...

I also dabble in the mobile world mainly just to stay relevant I don't publish apps to the store...although with 3 kids my personal projects aren't progressing very quickly
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
When I am not doing network stuff, I pretend to be a software engineer.

Wait... When I am not doing code stuff, I pretend to be a network engineer.

Or something. I get confused a lot.

I do a lot of development in C, Go, and Python.

In the past 20 years, I have also written a lot a lot of code in Assembly, C++, Perl, Lisp, Scheme, Java, and C#. I don't do much in those anymore except I write some Assembly and Scheme for fun.

I probably wouldn't turn down another Java job if I was offered large buckets of cash. I am also getting up to speed on R for some data stuff.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I am not doing network stuff, I pretend to be a software engineer.

Wait... When I am not doing code stuff, I pretend to be a network engineer.

Or something. I get confused a lot.

I do a lot of development in C, Go, and Python.

In the past 20 years, I have also written a lot a lot of code in Assembly, C++, Perl, Lisp, Scheme, Java, and C#. I don't do much in those anymore except I write some Assembly and Scheme for fun.

I probably wouldn't turn down another Java job if I was offered large buckets of cash. I am also getting up to speed on R for some data stuff.

View Quote

I've been at that point with R.  Took a course online from Carnegie Mellon that I enjoyed.  I find it tricky for skills development as a lot of technical roles seem to indicate going the path of needing both data analysis skills and techniques while also needing a traditional programming background (or some jobs anyhow).  The heavy use of COTS is making things more generic and less interesting to learn on though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if I'm an engineer or not.

I've been a developer since 2000. The current language du jour is Java which works fine for us. At the moment I'm the lead for a 10-person team. I understand I'm on tap to become the dev mgr but we'll see if it really happens.

I just started looking at Ruby last night. Figured it can't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Technically an electrical engineer, but my main job requirement is C++ development and meeting attendant...
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Software engineer here.  Lead and architect for company building SAAS applications.  

C# is my main language, but consider myself polyglot.  These days, most of the 'code' I write is on a whiteboard or to support our devops.  Working alot with docker lately.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wanted so day Hi. I am not a developer, but I work as a real life "TRON" that fights for the user. I am on the business user side and I provide requirements to a development team on behalf of 30K users in a large corporation. I follow the development from DEV through User acceptance and verification testing all the way to production release and any post release fixes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
C/C++ firmware developer (retired)
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a Programmer but I work with several in the Network Security field. I do use Python on occasion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top