Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 6:42:14 PM EDT
We are able to get 1gb fiber internet in our new house. The lady on the phone today said that we need to make sure our devices are compatible??? Need some help here understanding that.

She also said we need a 1gb router. I planned on buying a new one anyway, looking for reccomendations. Our internet usage is a home automation system, xbox1, pc wireless and cell phones.

The pc is upstairs and I've been using it wireless. The xb1 will be wired to the router downstairs (need every advantage agains the teens amped up on redbull). The home automation center is wifi.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The router you buy will clearly label it's max speed capabilities.
Just make sure you buy 1GB.

Other than that you will receive a media converter to plug your router into, then from there it's pretty much standard operating procedures from there.

1GB will be more than plenty for what you've outlined and then like 1000x more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
How does fiber enter the home? Is it through a phone line, cable or ??

What should I look for in a router as far as range? Is there some specification or number? Its a two story house and the router will be downstairs. Also I want one primarily for gaming if it matters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What should I look for in a router as far as range? Is there some specification or number? Its a two story house and the router will be downstairs. Also I want one primarily for gaming if it matters.
View Quote

Some of us stuck with satellite internet and a whopping 10 gigs of data a month at 12 Mbps are grinding our teeth in rage and envy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Some of us stuck with satellite internet and a whopping 10 gigs of data a month at 12 Mbps are grinding our teeth in rage and envy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think all executives for all big tech companies should have to live with capped bandwith for several months so they quit thinking designing everything with unlimited VERY high speed internet in mind

Brian
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Satellite...yep...plus its prime time congestion. I can almost tolerate the 12mbps during business hours/school hours, but when the commuters get home from their day jobs, bandwidth is gone. This is my only complaint after leaving the city and moving to the country. Crazy thing is, they have fiber internet just 12 miles up the road.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Typically GPON is a fiber drop from an aerial line on the pole down to what is called an ONT.  This ONT has the fiber connector in it, and the connectivity is broken out on to an Ethernet port. Then the edge device is usually addressed via DHCP or PPPoE.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
my question is do you really have fiber in the house? because at&t tries to say that but it is only for new construction. older places just have fiber to the local box and from there its threw copper phone lines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Typically GPON is a fiber drop from an aerial line on the pole down to what is called an ONT.  This ONT has the fiber connector in it, and the connectivity is broken out on to an Ethernet port. Then the edge device is usually addressed via DHCP or PPPoE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can cat5e be used?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
my question is do you really have fiber in the house? because at&t tries to say that but it is only for new construction. older places just have fiber to the local box and from there its threw copper phone lines.
View Quote

I dont think so. I have cat5e and tv cable in my boxes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you have  money to burn  AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Edit: Any AC router with gigabit ports would be good to go.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at the nighthawk 1900 but it appears to my novice eye as a older model.

If there is something else that will suit my needs for less I'm all ears.

Are dlink routers any good. By any good I mean not a fail prone pos.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was looking at the nighthawk 1900 but it appears to my novice eye as a older model.

If there is something else that will suit my needs for less I'm all ears.

Are dlink routers any good. By any good I mean not a fail prone pos.
View Quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
while the asus seams like a good router it seems like it doesn't have the umph to use the full gig download per this table

source : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u?start=1
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm using an old Asus N66 with Merlin and getting ~900 Mbps WAN throughput
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Does TP-link make a decent router?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
while the asus seams like a good router it seems like it doesn't have the umph to use the full gig download per this table

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/bobfig/rout_zps5agpzjtt.jpg

source : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u?start=1
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about it.  How many people are really going to notice the difference between ~800Mbps and 1000MBps?

You aren't going to do any better until you spend ~$300+ for a router and event those models have various issues.

AC routers are currently a crapshoot.  Nothing like the Linksys wrt-54g or asus rt-n66u currently exists for that class of routers.

Op, get the Asus RT-AC86U and don't worry about not getting 100% out of your internet connection.  I'm fairly certain you will be satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually ended up buying a linksys wrt1900acs. I hope it was a intelligent purchase, seems to have good range and great reviews.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I actually ended up buying a linksys wrt1900acs. I hope it was a intelligent purchase, seems to have good range and great reviews.
View Quote

To be blunt, you paid more for a worse product.

While short range wireless (5Ghz) is good, longer range wireless (2.4Ghz) is rather mediocre.

You did read the smallnetbuilder review of the Limksys, right?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Satellite...yep...plus its prime time congestion. I can almost tolerate the 12mbps during business hours/school hours, but when the commuters get home from their day jobs, bandwidth is gone. This is my only complaint after leaving the city and moving to the country. Crazy thing is, they have fiber internet just 12 miles up the road.
View Quote

Comcast has a connection 2 miles from my house and ATT has U-verse 2 miles north of me.  Comcast won't expand due to lower house per mile density, and AT&T's perspective on upgrading our circuit is very similar.  I get the impression they'd rather drop the land line service completely in my area.

Not many options in the middle of nowhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top