Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 9:45:04 PM EDT
So, first off my laptop disconnected itself at 11:45am this morning and I cannot reestablish contact with my router.

Then I got out my Dads Dell laptop which has been in a bag since January, and has not even been turned on since 1/2/16.

It too is unable to communicate via WiFi.
In both cases I get the same message: WiFi does not have a valid IP configuration.

How is this possible?
They cannot both have broken WiFi cards. They cannot both have a virus since mine was working fine until 11:45 this morning and Dads, before it went into storage, was running fine and had not been used in a month.

Its not the router as I am posting this on it using my Moms Lenovo laptop that is on Windows 10. Only the two machines on 8.1 are malfunctioning.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptor driver in both machines. I manually reset the IP number through the command window in both machines.  I reset the IP/TCP stacks in both machines. In my machine I restored windows back 24 hours.
It does not help.
I have also tried to connect to the router using the ethernet port on my machine. Once plugged in it says it cannot find router. When I run the diagnostic it then says the ethernet port now does not have a valid IP configuration.

What is going on? What erased my IP configurations? Why cant I reset them. How can a system that was in storage for a month have the same problem as a system that was worked daily until this morning?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a complete shot in the dark, but I had a case that was superficially similar.

It turns out an update on one of my AP's added a default setting for an IPv6 guest network.  Not all of my devices were set up for IPv6, so they couldn't connect at all.  The ones that could connect were on a very different IP range ( 45.x.y.z instead of 192.168.1.x , as I recall ) and couldn't see some of the other devices that were connecting on the IPv4 from the other AP.  

Basically I had three groups of devices:  IPv4 and working, IPv6 and isolated with no internet, and no connection at all.

I have a lot of devices, but I'm not quite near filling up IPv4 yet so I disabled the IPv6 guest network for now.   Doing that, followed by a round of reconnections, had me back up and running 100%.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't get to try your fix yet, when for some reason my wifi just started working. I have thrown a half dozen fixes at it without working. I am not sure what did work. The last thing I tried did not work on restart. But then I stopped to watch the car chase on Bullet on TCM and when I came back I suddenly had signal.

The internet is full of complaints and supposed fixes for this. It seems to be a common bug with Windows 8/8.1.  And there does not seem to be one guaranteed fix.

The last thing I tried was from this page http://www.kapilarya.com/limited-wifi-problem-in-windows-8

But even this on restart didn't work.  But after walking away a few minutes and coming back, it was on.
Now I have to check if I can get my Dads laptop to work now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I telepathically threatened it with my dick.  Should be fine now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top