Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 1:39:10 PM EDT
I currently have cable internet service and use a Arris DG860 modem and router from the service provider.

I would like to purchase my own instead of paying monthly for the one they provide. I have no idea what to purchase.

My home has 1 desktop that plugs in directly to the modem and then has 3 laptops that use wi-fi and 2 tablets that use wi-fi.

I'm not really tech savvy when it comes to networking, but do want speed, reliability, and simplicity at a fair price.

What do you suggest?

Edit - Current speeds: 30mbps download & 5mbps upload
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Motorola Surfboards for years.  Fleabay has them cheap used.  Work great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Motorola Surfboard for the modem. Do you have a price range for the router?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not necessarily. Cheaper the better while still providing reliable service.

This caught my eye - http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mbps/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41D87RfchjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR139%2C160_&refRID=1NVZP66VASJPRS7BYVFC
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest upping your router budget to around $100. If you a little but adveturous, look at the Mikrotik 2011 routers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd check your cable provider's website for approved modems. I have Time Warner and we can only use listed modems here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This caught my eye - http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mbps/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41D87RfchjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR139%2C160_&refRID=1NVZP66VASJPRS7BYVFC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheap tends to not lead to reliable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
OP bringing thread back...

My internet service provider stated any DOCSIS 3.0 modem is compatible with their service.

I'm still unsure if I should get an all-in-one modem/router or separate equipment?

Will I see significant performance improvements by going with separate equipment?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My internet service provider stated any DOCSIS 3.0 modem is compatible with their service.

I'm still unsure if I should get an all-in-one modem/router or separate equipment?

Will I see significant performance improvements by going with separate equipment?
View Quote

Separate.  all in 1's suck.

Arris modem

Asus rt-n66u router.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Separate.

Will you notice performance improvements? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you are used to now. If your old equipment was limiting throughput, then you will notice increased speeds. If you get better wireless, you will notice better range/speed. Better equipment has better uptime. I had a Netgear router that had uptime well past 6 months. I couldn't measure any future than that because the power likes to go out ever so often at my house and resets the counter. But, short of me screwing something up, I didn't have to reboot it ever.

Separate equipment vastly increases the amount of options you have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top