Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 2:59:02 PM EDT
I'm a total noob when it comes to computers and builds. I'm trying to build a computer to play Arma 3 on, with high or ultra settings. My budget is $1000-ish. Any thoughts so far on my list?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/abomb5800/saved/3PNV3C
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You really need an SSD, and even if you get a mechanical HDD the WD Blue isn't what you want, get a Black.

I didn't see a budget provided so I can't really weigh the other options.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget is on the $1000 range. I added a ssd and changed the mobo to a ASRock Z97 extreme 4. Is there a better option on a HD in the same price range? How this look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GP296h

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The only things I would change is to a WD Black HD, it's 10 bucks more and worth it. And I prefer Asus motherboards.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I can't aurgue when I get multipul people saying to change the hard drive, so it's done. I can spare the $10 since I just got a great deal on a monitor. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm a total noob when it comes to computers and builds. I'm trying to build a computer to play Arma 3 on, with high or ultra settings. My budget is $1000-ish. Any thoughts so far on my list?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/abomb5800/saved/3PNV3C
View Quote

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLrDWZ

no corners cut

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Placed the orders last night and this is what I went with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Q27Lk

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to go, I'd give this guys videos a watch if it's your first build, good clear videos and he is pro gun.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Never knew PC build is this expensive. I reuse a lot of parts when I upgrade my PC. From cases to monitor to HD and so on.

You don't need the CPU Cooler. The normal fan that come with the CPU is more than enough. The Power Supply need to be at least 700. I would go for a R9 390 over Nvidia 970. DX12 benchmark favor AMD over Nvidia. A 290x beat or near Nvidia 980 in DX12. All Nvidia cards fair very badly in DX12.

If you have extra money go for Skylake and DDR4 memory. I recommend 16gb or more. Skylake CPU and chipset/motherboard give you more options to upgrade for the next 4+ years. With that said, future upgrades will cost less.

The next CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade will most likely be Zen 16 core/Motherboard with M.2 slots/at least 32gb of RAM.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Power Supply need to be at least 700.

View Quote

145W GPU, 88W CPU, need at least a 700W PSU.  Not so sure about that.

Maybe if OP was going liquid/N2, and trying to break records with the overclocking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never knew PC build is this expensive. I reuse a lot of parts when I upgrade my PC. From cases to monitor to HD and so on.

You don't need the CPU Cooler. The normal fan that come with the CPU is more than enough. The Power Supply need to be at least 700. I would go for a R9 390 over Nvidia 970. DX12 benchmark favor AMD over Nvidia. A 290x beat or near Nvidia 980 in DX12. All Nvidia cards fair very badly in DX12.

If you have extra money go for Skylake and DDR4 memory. I recommend 16gb or more. Skylake CPU and chipset/motherboard give you more options to upgrade for the next 4+ years. With that said, future upgrades will cost less.

The next CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade will most likely be Zen 16 core/Motherboard with M.2 slots/at least 32gb of RAM.

View Quote

K series processor with a Z chipset. Might as well overclock and you WILL need a CPU cooler. The stock cooler is sufficient for stock.

PSU doesn't "need" to be 700. It is just fine for his build. Buy a better PSU now to reuse in the future? Sure.

Show me a real DX12 game benchmark. Hint: there are none because there are no final DX12 games with final DX12 drivers. Anything else is speculation.

What specific Skylake features give him (a new computer builder that is obviously on a budget) more options to upgrade?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Save your pennies and get a 980 Ti

I'm rocking 2 780 Ti's since they came out. Everything is on ultra, but I cannot max out everything, such as view distance...as that is dependent on the CPU (i7-4770k @ 4.4), but it's almost maxed out.

Playing online, some game modes will get you better FPS than others.

3 17" screen in NVIDIA Surround would get me 30-35 FPS on King of The Hill with KOTH view distances maxed out. Not the greatest, but very much playable.

With 1 17" screen - 45-50 FPS.

Now I use an Acer 27" 1440p 144hz (IPS screen) with GSYNC and get about 50-60 FPS on King of the Hill. Very smooth.

Single player on the Acer will get me 70-75 FPS. Depending on other friend's PC while playing Co-op, I've gotten up to 84 FPS.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure the OP isn't spending $500-$800 on a monitor where that would really matter. Heck, if you don't care about playing with everything on "ultra" detail settings (which given a budget build you shouldn't care), then a 980TI REALLY doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Pretty sure the OP isn't spending $500-$800 on a monitor where that would really matter. Heck, if you don't care about playing with everything on "ultra" detail settings (which given a budget build you shouldn't care), then a 980TI REALLY doesn't matter.
View Quote

I'm not telling the OP to buy the Acer monitor. I was just putting out the info I have, based on what I'm using.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not telling the OP to buy the Acer monitor. I was just putting out the info I have, based on what I'm using.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Pretty sure OP is not going to splurge for a surround setup, a 1440p monitor, or a 4k monitor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok.

Pretty sure OP is not going to splurge for a surround setup, a 1440p monitor, or a 4k monitor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

Never mind, you're retarded, as I never said that's what he should have. Plus he would need 2 GFX cards to run surround. I simply suggested a 980 Ti, and with my 2 780 Ti's (roughly ~ 5% lower than the 980), was getting 50-55 FPS on a single 17" monitor with an i7 4470k
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never mind, you're retarded, as I never said that's what he should have. Plus he would need 2 GFX cards to run surround. I simply suggested a 980 Ti, and with my 2 780 Ti's (roughly ~ 5% lower than the 980), was getting 50-55 FPS on a single 17" monitor with an i7 4470k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

You are recommending a $650 graphics card on a budget lower to midrange build and I'm the retarded one?

The screen inches of a monitor has no bearing on the performance of a video card.

You don't need two cards for surround.

I played ARMAIII just fine at 1440 on a 970.

Gaming at 1920x1080 isn't that demanding anymore.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
That's it, OP it's settled, break out the credit card, you'll be the envy of all the cool kids after you buy this...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YBMCYJ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YBMCYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($195.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($288.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($288.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($439.91 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($197.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($197.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($994.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($994.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($306.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($390.00 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer  ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($139.75 @ OutletPC)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card  ($305.36 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Acer XB280HK bprz 60Hz 28.0" Monitor  ($712.93 @ B&H)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($239.61 @ Amazon)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Headphones  ($1499.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $10568.81

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-06 18:35 EDT-0400

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Well thank god I have $10,000 just lying around! Lol I will just have to take it out of my budget for my FA M-16. Wait never mind, I would rather save the money for a $25,000 m-16 over a $10,000 pc. The things I would do if I was rich.

Thanks for all the help. I think for the budget I was able to build a solid rig for Arma3. I've defiantly learned that everyone has their own opinion about parts and brands. It's kinda like the firearms industry.

Abomb
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
K series processor with a Z chipset. Might as well overclock and you WILL need a CPU cooler. The stock cooler is sufficient for stock.

PSU doesn't "need" to be 700. It is just fine for his build. Buy a better PSU now to reuse in the future? Sure.

Show me a real DX12 game benchmark. Hint: there are none because there are no final DX12 games with final DX12 drivers. Anything else is speculation.

What specific Skylake features give him (a new computer builder that is obviously on a budget) more options to upgrade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PSU might be find for now but in the future it might not be. When I pick a PSU I make sure it last for at least 5 years. My 650 PSU which I bought over 8 years ago is on it last leg. Nothing wrong with it. My current power consumtion is pretty close to 650. I'm actually in the process of finding a new PSU and case (over 15 years old) for my next major upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM) two years from now. The total cost will probably be over $300 for the two item. PSU and case tend to have a stable price range for some time. So there is no buyer regret .

Fable Legend Release Date Oct. 13. Benchmark is out two weeks ago. Keep in mind Fable Legend do not use a-sync on the PC version. XBOX 1 have a-sync. That means AMD GPU have at least 30% more growth on PC.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1574740/anand-fable-legends-dx12-benchmark-analysis

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fable+Lendgen&gws_rd=ssl#q=Fable+Legends+benchmark

I recommend Skylake over Haswell for two simple reasons. Motherboard and general upgrade path. Skylake at most will give only 10% improvement over Haswell CPU. However Skylake motherboard will allow DDR4 rams which take full advantage of multi cores CPU. DDR4 ram cost more but the improvements in multi core CPU are very noticeable. It allow for future tech on your computer.

When I buy a motherboard I expect it to be able to use most of the future tech coming out in the next 4 to 5 years. For example anyone buying a new MB make sure it have at least 1 M.2 slot. M.2 slot is the future. It allow SSD to run 4x faster than the current SAT3 connector. SAT3 is now the bottle neck. Make sure it also have SATE.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]
What are you running hardware wise to be consuming close to 650 watts?

By your own source show me where nVidia cards "fair very badly".

By the time DDR4 is going to matter, it'll be time to upgrade. What are these "noticeable" improvements in memory performance as compared to a Broadwell chip on Z97?

M.2 is not skylake specific.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well thank god I have $10,000 just lying around! Lol I will just have to take it out of my budget for my FA M-16. Wait never mind, I would rather save the money for a $25,000 m-16 over a $10,000 pc. The things I would do if I was rich.

Thanks for all the help. I think for the budget I was able to build a solid rig for Arma3. I've defiantly learned that everyone has their own opinion about parts and brands. It's kinda like the firearms industry.

Abomb
View Quote

You did very well and it is a fantastic build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What are you running hardware wise to be consuming close to 650 watts?

By your own source show me where nVidia cards "fair very badly".

By the time DDR4 is going to matter, it'll be time to upgrade. What are these "noticeable" improvements in memory performance as compared to a Broadwell chip on Z97?

M.2 is not skylake specific.
View Quote

LGK is either an AMD fanboi or employee.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe if OP was going liquid/N2, and trying to break records with the overclocking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Power Supply need to be at least 700.

600 W powersupply is more than sufficient.  I just would have gone with a better quality PSU that was 80+ gold certified.  80+ bronze certification is bottom barrel these days.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]
(deleted)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top