Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 6:55:34 AM EDT
My computer (a Toshiba laptop) died a couple of weeks ago. The drive was encrypted using BestCrypt, and the volume got corrupted. Thanks to BestCrypt's tech support, I was able to recover it all, and successfully decrypted the volume. I currently have the drive in a USB enclosure plugged into a separate computer (an older Lenovo).  (Both computers have Windows 10.)

I can see my data. I can open files, manipulate them, etc. I can even boot into the full desktop environment when it's in the USB enclosure and plugged into the Lenovo.

When I try to plug the drive into the Toshiba from which it originally came, though, I get an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I thought maybe I had some BIOS setting that was interfering with booting from USB, so I tried booting a Linux live USB. It booted right up. I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when I take it out of the USB enclosure and plug it back into its original slot, too.

So, I have a drive that is bootable. And I have a computer that will boot from a USB drive. But I can't boot that specific drive on that specific computer. WTF?

Worst case scenario, I have a full disk image from about a month before the crash, so I can recover to that and copy my newer data over. But, I would really, profoundly prefer not to do that, because the backup was right before my Windows 10 update, and I don't really want to go through all of that again.

Anybody know what the hell could cause this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, but I bet the Masons did it.

Good luck Bro.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Put the drive in your laptop or pc and insert the windows disc and do a repair. I have swapped hard drives between pcs and laptops by doing this not sure if itll help in your situation but maybe. I know when you swap drives with an os to different computers it blue screens because the drivers are not the same as the original machine it was in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunno, but I bet the Masons did it.

Good luck Bro.
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me. They seem like a shady batch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My computer (a Toshiba laptop) died a couple of weeks ago. The drive was encrypted using BestCrypt, and the volume got corrupted. Thanks to BestCrypt's tech support, I was able to recover it all, and successfully decrypted the volume. I currently have the drive in a USB enclosure plugged into a separate computer (an older Lenovo).  (Both computers have Windows 10.)

I can see my data. I can open files, manipulate them, etc. I can even boot into the full desktop environment when it's in the USB enclosure and plugged into the Lenovo.

When I try to plug the drive into the Toshiba from which it originally came, though, I get an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I thought maybe I had some BIOS setting that was interfering with booting from USB, so I tried booting a Linux live USB. It booted right up. I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when I take it out of the USB enclosure and plug it back into its original slot, too.

So, I have a drive that is bootable. And I have a computer that will boot from a USB drive. But I can't boot that specific drive on that specific computer. WTF?

Worst case scenario, I have a full disk image from about a month before the crash, so I can recover to that and copy my newer data over. But, I would really, profoundly prefer not to do that, because the backup was right before my Windows 10 update, and I don't really want to go through all of that again.

View Quote

It not the labtop because it can boot Linux USB.

Is your USB BestCrypt HD bootable?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's no longer BestCrypt encrypted. It's completely decrypted now. It is bootable, but only when I have it connected to the other computer. When I have it in the USB enclosure, and plugged into my other laptop, it fires right up. When it's plugged into the computer from which it originally came, I get nothing. It doesn't make any damn sense.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this correct:  your laptop will boot on a USB connected CD and the original drive in an enclosure connected via USB, but no when the original drive is connected directly to the motherboard?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have the bios set up to boot to UEFI mode or legacy? Not sure it matters in this case but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this correct:  your laptop will boot on a USB connected CD and the original drive in an enclosure connected via USB, but no when the original drive is connected directly to the motherboard?
View Quote

Negative. The drive came out of a Toshiba laptop. That drive will boot when connected to a Lenovo laptop via USB, but not when connected to its original Toshiba laptop, regardless of how I connect it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top