Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
Trying to edit a .ppt file, 22 MB.  Large pictures.  I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1

If I get down to a particular slide, OpenOffice blows up.

So, I tried saving the file from OpenOffice as an .odp.  No problems, I can scroll through the entire presentation.  It will even save as a .ppt.

When I open the new .ppt, it blows up again.  Picture file size, or?

ETA:  Discovered the original file was a .pptx.  Saved it, opened it as a .pptx in OpenOffice, fine.  Tried to save it as an .odp, OpenOffice has a progress bar for a bit, then closes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you got what you paid for.  Try editing it in Powerpoint Online.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You might give LibreOffice a shot. The latest version is supposed to be really slick and I believe it's updated more frequently than OO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There used to be free viewers from Microsoft that could open Office documents.

Depending on the over all project, that may be worth a shot.  Though, sending it to someone who has an install who can convert it to an earlier version is probably more reliable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  There used to be free viewers from Microsoft that could open Office documents.
Depending on the over all project, that may be worth a shot.  Though, sending it to someone who has an install who can convert it to an earlier version is probably more reliable.
View Quote

Actually, tried that.  My assistant converted it from .pptx to .ppt.  Opened it today, opened fine.  Scrolled down, boom!  No worries.  Will have to think about a replacement for OpenOffice.  Have used it for probably a decade now, but it's always been sketchy w/ PowerPoint files.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might give LibreOffice a shot. The latest version is supposed to be really slick and I believe it's updated more frequently than OO.
View Quote

This.  Worth a try, LO seems to be way better than OO at supporting other file formats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top