Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 9:22:04 PM EDT
Got a new work laptop. Need browser for B2B orders. Want the most stable and safe browser.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been quite happy with Pale Moon.

Chrome seems to be the most recommended.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been quite happy with Pale Moon.

Chrome seems to be the most recommended.
View Quote
Seconds on Pale Moon.  Chrome if you want Google to track EVERYTHING you do on it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely not Firefox. Been using it for years, in recent months have had problems with it on both Linux and Windows 8 machines. The latter due to malware, not sure what's up on the Linux machine, but it occasionally bogs down really bad, then freezes up the touchpad. This happened before and I had to uninstall then reinstall it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got a new work laptop. Need browser for B2B orders. Want the most stable and safe browser.
View Quote

Firefox with certain add ons

adblock plus
noscript
do not track me
disconnect
webutation
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Chrome seems to be the most stable for now.  Firefox seems to have gone downhill lately.

I did play with Iron for a while and liked it, though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Chrome + AdBlock Plus (with malware blocking enabled) is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Definitely not Firefox. Been using it for years, in recent months have had problems with it on both Linux and Windows 8 machines. The latter due to malware, not sure what's up on the Linux machine, but it occasionally bogs down really bad, then freezes up the touchpad. This happened before and I had to uninstall then reinstall it.
View Quote

Can you say more about the malware on Firefox, or point to information on it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No freaking way. FF is GTG. Chrome might be a little more slick, but Google.

FF with ublock, privacybadger, WoT, httpseverywhere...

or adblockplus, ghostery, WoT, and httpseverywhere...

I tried pale moon.

It's like windows XP for the web.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I tried pale moon.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/polls/1312000/1312350_1386216142611_full.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried pale moon.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/polls/1312000/1312350_1386216142611_full.jpg

Not sure what you mean by that. It's a 64 bit native firefox build with all the bloat stripped out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure what you mean by that. It's a 64 bit native firefox build with all the bloat stripped out.
View Quote

64-bit native is fine; great even... But it's based off an older build of FF and is incompatible with many FF plugins. It's basically like using an older version of FF.

Serious question, what exactly is bloated about the latest release of FF. They bundled pocket, which is a glorified bookmark manager, and whatever the hell hello is (I never even noticed it until I looked just now)... What else?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Use Firefox 31.7.0 ESR on Slackware here with all of the necessary add-ons (adblock plus, etc...).  If you want to really go rouge, then use  (Tor Browser)
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

64-bit native is fine; great even... But it's based off an older build of FF and is incompatible with many FF plugins. It's basically like using an older version of FF.

Serious question, what exactly is bloated about the latest release of FF. They bundled pocket, which is a glorified bookmark manager, and whatever the hell hello is (I never even noticed it until I looked just now)... What else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Older build of FF perhaps, but still compatible with the vast majority of websites and functions people use. Firefox increments their build number every time they spellcheck something, so I wouldn't get too caught up in that. They went from version 3 to version 40 something in just a couple years

As far as the bloat is concerned, you touched on part of it, they bundle in a lot of unnecessary crap. Memory use and management has always been an issue with firefox, as has general use speed because of all the bloat.

You see pale moon as being a stripped down older version of firefox and look at it as a negative.

It's actually a good thing. They take time to sort out the kinks, get rid of everything that isn't absolutely essential to operation, and leave the rest up to you (there are pale moon/64 bit compatible addons for damn near everything)
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
chrome with the Don't Track Me Google extension.

Firefox performance has been awful on every machine i've used.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ive always been happy with Opera

then again i have never had malware from any browser.
View Quote

Does login on aarp.org still work?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Have run Pale Moon for a week and many websites are broken.  For example if I google a part, and a search result is on Midway, and I click the link, I get server errors (browser error messages about the server, not a server error message from the actual server)

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ive always been happy with Opera

then again i have never had malware from any browser.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top