BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 3:55:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no less than 5 guys on my team who do exactly what you want for a living with UBNT, Canopy, Cambium, and Mikrotik gear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Google: site:ar15.com long range wifi

That little "site:<enter site here>" trick is why nobody every bothers to script an actual search engine for their site anymore.

Depending on what your budget is, Ubiquiti makes some decent gear that you may want to check out.  There are much cheaper ways, but these often require a bit of skill/tinkering to get working.  1000' isn't really all that far of a shot for 2.4GHz and isn't even all that bad for 5.8 as long as it is LOS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no less than 5 guys on my team who do exactly what you want for a living with UBNT, Canopy, Cambium, and Mikrotik gear.
View Quote

Personal favorite.  Canopy radios are bullet proof and the easiest thing in the world if you want to pay for it.  I've set a PTP 300 up at several miles with a dumbass on the other end only to find out later that despite having a link, his end was ~30degrees off of boresight.  1000' wouldn't even require you to point these at each other to work, they could be 180deg off and still give you more bandwidth than you need.  Not going to be the cheapest solution, but if you spend the scratch, these will last forever with few if any dropped frames.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any licensing issues regarding running point to point receivers for home use?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are there any licensing issues regarding running point to point receivers for home use?
View Quote

As long as you're in unlicensed spectrum, no.

ETA: and generally speaking, no one is going to sell you licensed link gear without certain FCC paperwork already being done.  Like you have to provided it when making the order.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hmm. That looks really interesting. I can't find detailed install documents on that unit (or I'm not looking in he right place). Would I plug one of them into my existing router, and then the receiver would just pass the wireless signal to the remote location?  How would connecting multiple devices at the remote location work (getting IP addresses assigned)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmm. That looks really interesting. I can't find detailed install documents on that unit (or I'm not looking in he right place). Would I plug one of them into my existing router, and then the receiver would just pass the wireless signal to the remote location?  How would connecting multiple devices at the remote location work (getting IP addresses assigned)?

That's a point to multi-point radio but it can be put into "bridge" or "Point to point" mode and acts as a layer 2 bridge between two points.  So think of it as an imaginary cable that is plugged into a switch at the remote location, DHCP is going to be passed through it to that side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top