Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 11:45:12 AM EDT
I have 2 teenage boys. Each with a desktop in their room. Pron is going to happen. I'd like to set up Virtual Machines, to make it easy to dump the infection without having to wipe the entire PC. Is there a suggested walk through out there somewhere?  

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think VMs are the answer. You might look for something similar to Deep Freeze. I'm sure there is some sort of free alternative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_(software)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
How old are they?

Maybe teach them how to use a LiveCD so they can't get possibly harmed by it. A LiveCD has a whole operating system on a CD rom or DVD and it doesn't have access to the hard drive. Pop it in, boot, do whatever online, remove CD and reboot and nothing can touch the Windows behind it.

Tell them "For gaming sites that might try to infect your PC."
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old are they?
Maybe teach them how to use a LiveCD so they can't get possibly harmed by it. A LiveCD has a whole operating system on a CD rom or DVD and it doesn't have access to the hard drive. Pop it in, boot, do whatever online, remove CD and reboot and nothing can touch the Windows behind it.
Tell them "For gaming sites that might try to infect your PC."
View Quote

I agree, I VM would only work if you kept it just as protected as the actual PC. Best bet would be a LiveCD/DVD/USB with a free Linux distro (I'm sure they can figure it out).
If your ok with what they're doing on the interwebs, then they could store all important files on a NAS or ext.HDD and run Linux, then you could reload in a few minutes if need be.
Good AV and security practices are always the best bet, training and trust will out do any physical devices you put into place.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A live CD for them to use while surfing " Questionable game sites" sounds like what I thought VM would achieve.

Off to read up on Linux.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
get the free VMPlayer  then create a virtual machine using a Windows .iso.  You'll need a valid Windows key to enable the Windows .iso.  I have a MSDN subscription so it's not an issue
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 2 teenage boys. Each with a desktop in their room. Pron is going to happen. I'd like to set up Virtual Machines, to make it easy to dump the infection without having to wipe the entire PC. Is there a suggested walk through out there somewhere?  
View Quote

What you need to do is take away the admin privs from every account they use. This will prevent many headaches to start with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What you need to do is take away the admin privs from every account they use. This will prevent many headaches to start with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except if they know anything they'll just make themselves admin as soon as he leaves
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A live CD for them to use while surfing " Questionable game sites" sounds like what I thought VM would achieve.

Off to read up on Linux.
View Quote

Ubuntu and Mint are pretty popular, well supported, and well polished distributions.  Firefox is usually packaged with them, however Chrome can be installed.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Shop for the best offers & Codes : http://cheapvouchercodes.co.uk
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone else find this post, in this thread, with the current subject matter absolutely hilarious?

Sure thing Mr. Samed. I'll click on your questionable link!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Anyone else find this post, in this thread, with the current subject matter absolutely hilarious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 would click again awesome codes!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd use the free edition of xenclient.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Except if they know anything they'll just make themselves admin as soon as he leaves
View Quote

True story.... Used to do it myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think VMs are the answer. You might look for something similar to Deep Freeze. I'm sure there is some sort of free alternative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_(software)
View Quote

THAT is badass.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

THAT is badass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT is badass.

i believe it's what they used in the computer labs at the college i went to.  very handy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Off to read up on Linux.
View Quote
You can do this with a vm, just set the disks to non-persistent after you get things the way you want them. Any changes are discarded at shutdown, similar to a live cd. A live cd will likely be easier.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i believe it's what they used in the computer labs at the college i went to.  very handy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT is badass.

So, why would Microsoft stop selling 'steady state'?

.gov req possibly?

Txl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top