Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2015 6:59:54 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a Mac with my Tax refund. I am torn on which Mac to get, but I am steering towards a 2.6GHz Mac mini and plug it to my 55" TV. It seems to be the most cost-effective option in comparison to the 15" MacBook Pro or the 27" iMac 5K.

However, I'd like to get some opinions from anyone here that has one and how it stacks performance-wise against the other two options. I mainly use my computer for web-surfing, nothing really heavy, but since I have an iPad, an iPhone and Apple TV; the interconnectability of Yosemite is a big plus for me (switch between devices while streaming music).

Yeah; being single with a fair amount of disposable income is great, but I do want to be as thrifty as possible, so I can probably get some other stuff with the rest of my refund.

Yeah; I'm there already.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of getting a Mac with my Tax refund. I am torn on which Mac to get, but I am steering towards a 2.6GHz Mac mini and plug it to my 55" TV. It seems to be the most cost-effective option in comparison to the 15" MacBook Pro or the 27" iMac 5K.

However, I'd like to get some opinions from anyone here that has one and how it stacks performance-wise against the other two options. I mainly use my computer for web-surfing, nothing really heavy, but since I have an iPad, an iPhone and Apple TV; the interconnectability of Yosemite is a big plus for me (switch between devices while streaming music).

Yeah; being single with a fair amount of disposable income is great, but I do want to be as thrifty as possible, so I can probably get some other stuff with the rest of my refund.

http://caveviews.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bffd953ef012877426941970c-pi

Yeah; I'm there already.
View Quote

Get the mid level model and call it a day.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mini-2-6GHz-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B00746XCNK/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=reality&linkCode=w01&linkId=GBHURPUPIOHW3WBK&creativeASIN=B00746XCNK

It will be more than capable for the tasks you will use it for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the mid level model and call it a day.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mini-2-6GHz-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B00746XCNK/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=reality&linkCode=w01&linkId=GBHURPUPIOHW3WBK&creativeASIN=B00746XCNK

It will be more than capable for the tasks you will use it for.
View Quote

That's the one I have in mind. Since I run a PS4, the DTV receiver and an Apple TV receiver (which I don't use and will sell); that leaves me with two HDMI plugs to use. I'm just curious to know who else uses one and how it works out for them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mini.  I use it as a HTPC.  I however don't use it for web or anything else other than XBMC.   I tired, but just didn't like it.  I also use a Apple TV for small things as well.  

I use my Macbook Pro for that.  I find it alot easier to use on a daily basis for browsing, emails and such than using the Mini on a 60" TV from 12 feet away.

If you want to use Airplay.  A iPad will not mirror to a Mini without the use of a 3rd party app.  You can however mirror to a Apple TV from both.

My suggestion would be a Macbook.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 13" Macbook Air(personal) and a 13" Macbook Pro(work) and they both rock.  The pro is awesome due to increased resources but much more expensive.

I would recommend a MB Air since it's portable but I'm not a fan of tablets and prefer to have a laptop when I travel.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The current Mini has soldered RAM; not upgradeable down the road.  Max it out when you buy it.  Yosemite is a ram hog, and I don't see it getting better in the future.

Consider putting a SSD in it.  It isn't hard to do and the performance difference is night and day.  iFixit has instructions.

After the new one was released, I picked up a 2012 quad core i7 on closeout.  Added 16GB of ram and a SSD.  It's fast and I like it.  Uses a lot less power than the Pro it replaced.  I bought one of these enclosures and put my 4TB drives in it.  Works great on Thunderbolt, and you also have USB3 if needed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
i have both a macbook pro and 2.6GHz mac mini with the fusion drive.  performance is fine on both for what i do (light photoshop, audio editing, lots of web/text editor work, and watching videos).

if it's going to be hooked up to your TV, i'd get the mini.  no need to spend the extra cash for the laptop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would recommend a MB Air since it's portable but I'm not a fan of tablets and prefer to have a laptop when I travel.
View Quote

I agree; this is by far the choice for me - sure, the mini would be awesome, but the lack of upgradeability is what is turning me away from it.  And like you, I want something portable, so the MB Air fits me well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree; this is by far the choice for me - sure, the mini would be awesome, but the lack of upgradeability is what is turning me away from it.  And like you, I want something portable, so the MB Air fits me well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the Airs weren't upgradeable either since everything is soldered to the MB. That's why I went with a non-Retina MBP and then upgraded it to 16GB. I'm chomping at the bit to go SSD but can't justify the cost of a 1TB yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I thought the Airs weren't upgradeable either since everything is soldered to the MB. That's why I went with a non-Retina MBP and then upgraded it to 16GB. I'm chomping at the bit to go SSD but can't justify the cost of a 1TB yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure they are not upgradeable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can upgrade the HDD on the mini.  RAM not being upgradable isn't an issue for your uses. (especially with 8BG being standard on the midrange model)

You can't upgrade anything on the macbook air.  Combine that with the fact that the macbook air has a gimped processor selection and it is a much inferior (and expensive) choice compared to the midrange mac mini.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I use my MBP 15" for everything, work and home. that being said, you could use a Mini as a media server hooked up to a huge drive
I don't worry about upgradability because when I decide it's too slow, I have people waiting to take my used laptop, I just sell it for a good price and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#14]
There are third party SSD upgrades for the Air.  Otherwise it's non upgradable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are third party SSD upgrades for the Air.  Otherwise it's non upgradable.
View Quote

Not for the current iteration.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yes, you already have an apple TV, get a 11" macbook air and a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, just mirror from the air to the apple TV.
View Quote

But not yet.

New model(s) will be released soon. MBAs are extremely long in the tooth.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Already took the first step and got the Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse.  Next step will be the Mac Mini. I will skip on the Macbooks for the time being until newer models come out, specially on the Air.

ETA - YES! Got my federal refund in. I will be getting the Mini when I get home.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I love the BT keyboard and Smart Mouse. Unfortunately mine stopped working for some reason. Guess I need to reboot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Well? It is done. I went with the midrange Mini and already have it set on my TV...

The little doohickey on the bottom right is a replica of the Ghost Companion from "Destiny"...

I'm pretty happy with my purchase; now to learn to REALLY put this baby through its paces.

(Don't mind the iPotato image)
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well? It is done. I went with the midrange Mini and already have it set on my TV...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Assorted/CDA09554-1039-427F-8262-38836184B7FB_zpshujlmqjq.jpg

The little doohickey on the bottom right is a replica of the Ghost Companion from "Destiny"...

I'm pretty happy with my purchase; now to learn to REALLY put this baby through its paces.

(Don't mind the iPotato image)
View Quote

you chose wisely.  enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
OK; now that I have the computer, what advice would any of you give me in terms of apps? Not third party stuff, but good Apple apps that I can use in here...

Already have a good deal on Microsoft Word for Mac.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK; now that I have the computer, what advice would any of you give me in terms of apps? Not third party stuff, but good Apple apps that I can use in here...

View Quote

iWork is OK, but you already have that covered.  iMovie used to be a lot better, but it's free so give it a try.  iPhoto never was that great, and they discontinued Final Cut Express and Aperture.  Photos is the intended replacement, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Beyond the basics included in OSX, I use primarily third party stuff.  VLC, Handbrake, LibreOffice, MPEG Streamclip, SuperDuper, MakeMKV, GIMP, Plex media server, Teamviewer, Truecrypt, Virtualbox among others I can't recall offhand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Yahoo Sports has a pretty cool notification center widget. Pretty good for selecting your favorite teams to easily keep track of upcoming games and final scores. iStat Mini is another widget that is pretty neat.

Calcbot is a nice alternative calculator. AppZap can get rid of unwanted apps along with all the data the app has stored for a clean delete.

iWork is pretty nice but not as fully featured as Office. I prefer using it since Office hasn't been updated in so long. There is a new Outlook app but its pretty limited in account support. I do use OneNote pretty regularly along with OneDrive.

I am on 10.10.3 Public Beta. You can sign up through Apple Seed to be a public beta tester. 10.3 has the new Photos app. iCloud Photo Library is the new way to sync photos across Apple devices. Pretty good system. And the public betas are generally very stable. I haven't had any reliability issues going from 10.2 to 10.3 Public Beta.

There are paid Apple apps like FCPX and Aperture but those are geared more towards professional. iMovie is decent for doing short home movies and such. A lot of people who podcast actually use it, too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a 13" Macbook Air(personal) and a 13" Macbook Pro(work) and they both rock.  The pro is awesome due to increased resources but much more expensive.

View Quote

Rumors are Apple will be announcing the new Macbook Airs this week.

As for the OP's dilemma... I'm sort of there myself.

I used to have an iPhone 4s, iPad mini, and 11" macbook Air.

With the iPhone 6 though, now, I find myself using the mini less... am thinking full size iPad might make sense, and then probably the new Air (supposedly to be 12 inches).  My Macbook Air is getting quite long in the tooth, being the first generation - can't even stream to Apple TV.

But yeah, figuring out the best "ensemble" for the addiction is tough.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

With the iPhone 6 though, now, I find myself using the mini less... am thinking full size iPad might make sense, and then probably the new Air (supposedly to be 12 inches).  My Macbook Air is getting quite long in the tooth, being the first generation - can't even stream to Apple TV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 12" Retina Air is supposed to have a Core M chip with a fanless design. While the screen will be better than the regular Air the chips are quite a bit better in the regular Air. Especially once the Core M has to run a Retina screen. The pricing on the Retina Air may be even higher than the regular Air which would put it pretty close to a 13" Retina Pro. Rumors are also due to the thin chassis of the Retina Air a lot of the I/O is going to be taken maybe even to the point of using a single USB Type C connector. Have to wait and see if a Retina Air is even announced but so far the rumors are pointing to some pretty big compromises to the Retina Air.

I have a 13" Retina Pro and really like it. Size is small enough to be pretty portable, and it has enough oomph for moderate work loads. The 13" Retina Pro also comes with 8GB of RAM for the base model while the Air's come with 4GB on the base model.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The 12" Retina Air is supposed to have a Core M chip with a fanless design. While the screen will be better than the regular Air the chips are quite a bit better in the regular Air. Especially once the Core M has to run a Retina screen. The pricing on the Retina Air may be even higher than the regular Air which would put it pretty close to a 13" Retina Pro. Rumors are also due to the thin chassis of the Retina Air a lot of the I/O is going to be taken maybe even to the point of using a single USB Type C connector. Have to wait and see if a Retina Air is even announced but so far the rumors are pointing to some pretty big compromises to the Retina Air.

I have a 13" Retina Pro and really like it. Size is small enough to be pretty portable, and it has enough oomph for moderate work loads. The 13" Retina Pro also comes with 8GB of RAM for the base model while the Air's come with 4GB on the base model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate the thought of going to a pro, as I carry two laptops around everywhere - and the first is a brick, a Dell Latitude E6520.

If I go big iPad, it might make sense to go that route, though... decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

iWork is OK, but you already have that covered.  iMovie used to be a lot better, but it's free so give it a try.  iPhoto never was that great, and they discontinued Final Cut Express and Aperture.  Photos is the intended replacement, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Beyond the basics included in OSX, I use primarily third party stuff.  VLC, Handbrake, LibreOffice, MPEG Streamclip, SuperDuper, MakeMKV, GIMP, Plex media server, Teamviewer, Truecrypt, Virtualbox among others I can't recall offhand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mentioned a lot of third-party apps.

If we're going that route I'll add:

PathFinder (I prefer it a lot more than Finder and XtraFinder)
Parallels if you have to run Windows apps.
Concur with VirtualBox (I had issues with VMware not wanting to create VMs)
Moom (window mgmt)
Transmit 2 (ftp)
aText or Typinator (text expansion)
Glui (screenshots)
BeyondCompare

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Moom (window mgmt)
Transmit 2 (ftp)
Glui (screenshots)
BeyondCompare

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moom (window mgmt)
Transmit 2 (ftp)
Glui (screenshots)
BeyondCompare

Others I forgot:  FileZilla, MacX DVD ripper, Office 2011, Trim Enabler, VueScan.

Apple apps are OK for their intended use for the most part, and FOSS/freeware/shareware is plentiful.  Most of the non-FOSS stuff I use was priced in the $20-$30 range.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got Office For Mac installed; got it for $10 through the Microsoft HUP, so is nice. Now, i figure I will need something good in the picture editing department that is not going to cost me a testicle to own; last time I had Photoshop CS2, it was because a friend of mine was a graphic designer and got it for me on the cheap (as in FREE), but now i can't and I am not shelling out $700 for it (I need that money for guns )

Still learning to use the system, but is all good. Thanks to everyone that replied with advice, it was very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just got Office For Mac installed; got it for $10 through the Microsoft HUP, so is nice. Now, i figure I will need something good in the picture editing department that is not going to cost me a testicle to own; last time I had Photoshop CS2, it was because a friend of mine was a graphic designer and got it for me on the cheap (as in FREE), but now i can't and I am not shelling out $700 for it (I need that money for guns )

Still learning to use the system, but is all good. Thanks to everyone that replied with advice, it was very helpful.
View Quote

Check out Pixelmator for photo editing. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104?mt=12

Office 2016 Public Preview is out. I'm running it now with no major issues. The Preview is free to use until 30 days after the actual release later this year. Its much more like Office 2013 (Windows), and a lot better than 2011. http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Check out Pixelmator for photo editing. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104?mt=12

Office 2016 Public Preview is out. I'm running it now with no major issues. The Preview is free to use until 30 days after the actual release later this year. Its much more like Office 2013 (Windows), and a lot better than 2011. http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview
View Quote

Ooh! Pixelmator definitely has my attention. As for Office 2016 - I already have the license for 2011, but i can always upgrade and it will cost me the same ($9.99).
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#32]

And here is my setup. I decided to just buy a cheap (under $200) Vizio 28" E-Series LED TV and set it atop my new Computer desk (from World Market - Which is much better than anything coming from IKEA )

Slick, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top