Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2015 10:25:22 AM EDT
Haven't needed anything from there in a while, but back in the day there were a GREAT source for free / shareware. What you got from them might not always work exactly  as advertized, but I never got infected from a bit of software I DL'ed from them.

Day before yesterday I needed to convert a MP4 to WMV, so off to cnet I go to get what I need. Not only does it not work as expected, but I've been fighting off Trojans and malware ever since. boot time before was less than a minute.

Now it takes 4.

Is there a new, suggested goto source for small converters and such now that it appears that cnet has gone over to the dark side?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Haven't needed anything from there in a while, but back in the day there were a GREAT source for free / shareware. What you got from them might not always work exactly  as advertized, but I never got infected from a bit of software I DL'ed from them.

Day before yesterday I needed to convert a MP4 to WMV, so off to cnet I go to get what I need. Not only does it not work as expected, but I've been fighting off Trojans and malware ever since. boot time before was less than a minute.

Now it takes 4.

Is there a new, suggested goto source for small converters and such now that it appears that cnet has gone over to the dark side?
View Quote

the window media player on the computer at least in the past would covert music files to that format built in free

did you fully read the install pages sometimes they sneak in use xxxx as your new search bar or start page
ive noticed that trend lately so it may have been something you allowed to install that opened auto downloads of crapware

also if you go into the add remove programs you can set it by date so you can see the newest installs
ive had them not have a name, or super old install date to fool you
so its easy to spot when you set it by date

if there is a name you dont recognize google it and it will tell you who it is

I use firefox and these programs will also add a new add on that keeps changing my startpage but once you disable and remove that stops it

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cnet has been dogshit for a good 4 or 5 years IIRC. Never heard of legit malware, but I have gotten insidious bloatware from them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Best video transcoder is handbrake:  https://handbrake.fr/
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Along with handbrake, get Vidcoder. It uses the handbrake codecs but can encode at 1080p. I use it to transcode my blurays after ripping them.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't used them in a very long time. I find reviews saying a program is good and then I go to their own page and get it directly from the people that make it
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Just sad for me as they used to be a trusted source.

Thanks for the suggestions on the converters.

Any suggestions on editing software? I've used WMM enough to know I dont like it. I dont mind paying a few bucks for decent SW. What's the step up ?
Back around '04, I was using Pinnacle. Their stuff still good?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Sourceforge is my go-to these days.

Last I checked, MajorGeeks was still OK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cnet has been dogshit for a good 4 or 5 years IIRC. Never heard of legit malware, but I have gotten insidious bloatware from them.
View Quote

The last thing I downloaded from CNET was PDF Architect, and it contained malware.  It changed the search engine on all of my browsers to Bing.  I tried it again on a throwaway virtual machine, and it was definitely what caused it.z
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
iirc owned by CBS, i use to love it for the software too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
cnet and tucows...   now both are 99.98% useless.  

It's a real shame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top