Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:59:54 PM EDT
I would like to be able to "cast" my screen to my TV. Is getting a Chromecast "stick" the only way I'd be able to do that. I have a PC and an Xbox One hooked up to my TV. I want to cast from my Google Nexus 7.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
My chromecast sucks. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  I no longer have it hooked up. based on my experience I would suggest you look at something different. Roku? I don't know the right answer but for me at least chromecast was not it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I am just trying to find a way to mirror the screen on a android tablet to my TV. Maybe that is too much to ask.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate to say it, but you have two proprietary devices, and unless you want to root to get around such, then you are at the mercy of having to buy another device to do what you want/in the way that the proprietary vendors what you to do it so they can make more money off the extra devices.

As for the TV, if it has Air play (or some form of that), then not all hope is lost, since you can root the phone to get the needed software loaded to take advantage of the Airplay type feature on the TV.

As for the Xbox One, if you had a way of loading something like xbmc htpc, then that way would be tangle as well.
View Quote

Errr, my Chromecast takes a feed from my Samsung devices just fine - and Samsung is the maker that plays with ChromeOS the most.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am just trying to find a way to mirror the screen on a android tablet to my TV. Maybe that is too much to ask.
View Quote

It may well be.  Chromecast doesn't mirror the screen on your device.  If you are using an app that is Chromecast enabled, you can have Chromecast take over from the app.   I have Plex, Youtube, Netflix, and Pandora apps on my phone and tablet. Each one has a little symbol in the corner.  When I tap it the TV starts playing whatever the device was - but it doesn't play on both.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Goto the Chromecast app on your phone/tablet, click on the drop down menu in the upper left, select "Cast Screen" from the menu.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Goto the Chromecast app on your phone/tablet, click on the drop down menu in the upper left, select "Cast Screen" from the menu.
View Quote

I'll be damned.  I thought the app only did settings, etc. while all the casting was done from other apps. Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes screencast works, sometimes it doesn't.

Before I got the 4.4.4 update screencast seemed to be 100% with my moto x and chromecast.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm actually happy with my Chromecast, both from my laptop and from my Galaxy S4.

YouTube and music on the surround sound FTW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top