Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
i have an old cisco switch that i don't use. 48 10/100ports of fun. probably cost a arm and leg to ship.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Imo I would suggest the Dell Power connects for a cheap, beefy home switch. They are all over ebay for a hunnit bucks.

They are stable and have a fairly OK CLI.  It ain't no Nexus 9k,  but if you want gig and port density it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i have an old cisco switch that i don't use. 48 10/100ports of fun. probably cost a arm and leg to ship.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, if that's what you're doing.  

I'm looking for something with a small footprint, but I may pm to you about that, depending on what I find.

ETA: As an update, I ordered a couple of these for $25 apiece.  They seem to get decent reviews.  

I don't have anything that runs on 5ghz yet, so that will give me a reason to upgrade to AC later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Dell 2724 swwitch is online.  I started setting up my VLANs, and I've done something to kill my VPN.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
So I'm trying to get my Echolink up and running, but I need to make some changes.  

First, here's what we need from Echolink:

Allow UDP destination ports 5198-5199 between Internet and PC in both directions
Allow TCP (source port any, destination port 5200) from PC to Internet
View Quote

I would like for the traffic to be accessible to all clients on my network, for the time being.  I'm going to play with this with a few different PCs, plus my main PC gets a DHCP IP.

How can I open it up?  A firewall rule?  Is this safe?

Examples would be helpful...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You want to do this right?  

Server VLAN, Workstation VLAN, VLAN for DMZ all with ACLs

RADIUS server for authenticating devices on the LAN tied to the ACLs

RADIUS for wifi access, with certificate based encryption

Active directory domain, with kerberos and a full CA

Full patch management, centrally managed AV/AM/AS

GPOs enforcing hardening on all workstations

IPS/IDS, probably Snort plus maybe something else.  Gateway AV as well.

That would be what we in the industry refer to as "A good start"

View Quote

Be sure to use EC certs as well for your issuing/enterprise CA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I finally got my VLANs up and running.  I know have 3, 1 for the home PCs and accessory devices, 1 for management and infrastructure, and 1 for guests.  All have their own SSIDs for now, until I get the infrastructure one offline.  RADIUS is up next.  

For now, here's the devices I've used:
Refurbed Core 2 Duo PC running PfSense.  It runs the firewall, DHCP, DNS, and other network monitoring and security packages.
Dell Powerconnect 2724 Gigabit Switch
(2) TP-Link Access Points.  One is the main, and one is a repeater.  I can't get all of the house, due to walls and my main pieces being downstairs.  I may end up putting a wireless card in the PfSense box and drop one of the access points.
Multiple devices, including a couple of RPis, an Odroid C1, iPad, and 5 laptops, multiple phones, and a network hard drive.
Up next will be a server for more "responsive" storage, and some security features.

Just thought I would give an update, in case anyone cared.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I finally got my VLANs up and running.  I know have 3, 1 for the home PCs and accessory devices, 1 for management and infrastructure, and 1 for guests.  All have their own SSIDs for now, until I get the infrastructure one offline.  RADIUS is up next.  

Refurbed Core 2 Duo PC running PfSense.  It runs the firewall, DHCP, DNS, and other network monitoring and security packages.
(2) TP-Link Access Points.  One is the main, and one is a repeater.  I can't get all of the house, due to walls and my main pieces being downstairs.  I may end up putting a wireless card in the PfSense box and drop one of the access points.
Multiple devices, including a couple of RPis, an Odroid C1, iPad, and 5 laptops, multiple phones, and a network hard drive.
Up next will be a server for more "responsive" storage, and some security features.

View Quote

If you have any "smart" devices like the Amazon Cube or a smart TV or smart fridge or toaster or whatever, put all of those in a separate VLAN that isn't the same VLAN as your PCs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you have any "smart" devices like the Amazon Cube or a smart TV or smart fridge or toaster or whatever, put all of those in a separate VLAN that isn't the same VLAN as your PCs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a smart TV, but it sucks ass.  Vizio.  I turned off the wireless access and I'm going to get another RPi2 to run OSMC in there, or maybe throw Android on something for Netflix and Prime.

Thanks for the tip, though.  Would a PS3 fall into that category?  I have an old PS3 that keeps dropping connection, no matter what I've used.  It's been running on the same LAN as the PCs for a while, though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a smart TV, but it sucks ass.  Vizio.  I turned off the wireless access and I'm going to get another RPi2 to run OSMC in there, or maybe throw Android on something for Netflix and Prime.

Thanks for the tip, though.  Would a PS3 fall into that category?  I have an old PS3 that keeps dropping connection, no matter what I've used.  It's been running on the same LAN as the PCs for a while, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The concern is that there are all of these devices out there now that connect to the Internet.  No one really knows how secure they are and some of them, like the amazon cube have access to your credit card info and since no one really knows exactly how access able they are from a compromised PC then they shouldn't be on the same network. Just to be safe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The concern is that there are all of these devices out there now that connect to the Internet.  No one really knows how secure they are and some of them, like the amazon cube have access to your credit card info and since no one really knows exactly how access able they are from a compromised PC then they shouldn't be on the same network. Just to be safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.  I'm following you now.  I'll check out the PS3 and see what I find.  I've not heard of any major hacks, at this point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Another option is to reserve a DHCP address and give it 127.0.0.1 for a default gateway/router if you don't want to VLAN all those devices.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top