Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 2:16:54 PM EDT
In my consideration of switching to TMob, I am considering also switching phones. I love my iPhone 5, but hate iTunes for the way it does everything. I have tons of apps on my iPhone that I use daily, but have no idea if they even have Windows Phone versions.

Can ya'll break it down for me as to why I should switch to a Windows Phone, pro's & con's etc ?

After some searching, most of my daily apps have WP versions, those that don't I still have an iPad 2 that will work just fine for them. So now that apps are settled, begin ....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Why in the world would you use Windows over Android?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Android left a bad taste in my brain after my first phone with it. The platform just seems so totally fractured to me, I would prefer something that is a unified platform.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to start a small war .. iPhone 6 vs Windows Phone
View Quote

iPhone 6 vs Windows phone would be about as much of a war as "USMC vs. Fargo, ND fire department".  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In my consideration of switching to TMob, I am considering also switching phones. I love my iPhone 5, but hate iTunes for the way it does everything. I have tons of apps on my iPhone that I use daily, but have no idea if they even have Windows Phone versions.

Can ya'll break it down for me as to why I should switch to a Windows Phone, pro's & con's etc ?

After some searching, most of my daily apps have WP versions, those that don't I still have an iPad 2 that will work just fine for them. So now that apps are settled, begin ....
View Quote

Honestly, there isn't much selection right now.  Either you go with a high end phone (like the HTC One M8 running windows phone, or get something less expensive, like a lumia 735 or lumia 635.)    New phones likely won't be introduced until mobile world congress 2015 in March. Can you use your iphone 5 on tmobile?

Windows phone is going through a transition, from windows phone 8.1 to running a version of windows 10 in the fall of 2015.  Current windows 8.1 phones will be updated to 10, but it may be better to wait for newer phones to be released.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You shouldn't. That's why!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As an android guy currently using an iPhone, don't use iTunes. I haven't touched iTunes since I switched. All of my google apps (music, drive, +, maps, contacts, etc.) all integrated flawlessly in the switch over.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You shouldn't. That's why!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a windows phone??
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's true!  It runs Win 8.1 RT.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Android left a bad taste in my brain after my first phone with it. The platform just seems so totally fractured to me, I would prefer something that is a unified platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What version of Android?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What version of Android?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What version of Android?

Ahhh ... 2.2.? I think. Updates were few and VERY far between and all it did was make it worse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm on a Nexus 5 with Android 5.  The GUIs of the various Google apps are still a little fragmented (inconsistent design), but things have been rapidly improving since Android 5's release.  Nexus devices are also the very first ones to get updated.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone want Windows on a phone??
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because phones are just basically small tablets that can make phone calls.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear that argument, but that then begs the question, why would anyone want Windows on a 4" "tablet that makes phone calls"?  I get it for the full-size tablets that you could actually use Office or real Windows applications on, but a phone?  The concept never made any sense to me, from the beginning.  I really suspect MS is going to realize they've now failed twice with this concept and give it up for markets they are able to compete in (for some values of "compete", of course...)

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#17]
My windows phone 7 was less problematic then my galaxy s3, software wise.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hear that argument, but that then begs the question, why would anyone want Windows on a 4" "tablet that makes phone calls"?  I get it for the full-size tablets that you could actually use Office or real Windows applications on, but a phone?  The concept never made any sense to me, from the beginning.  I really suspect MS is going to realize they've now failed twice with this concept and give it up for markets they are able to compete in (for some values of "compete", of course...)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes sense to me as a domain enterprise engineer, because now I have a nice little subset of GPOs that I can actually enforce on phones.  I can now automatically deploy specific apps, add libraries to one drive, have vision and intelligence into what the users are doing with company property.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It makes sense to me as a domain enterprise engineer, because now I have a nice little subset of GPOs that I can actually enforce on phones.  I can now automatically deploy specific apps, add libraries to one drive, have vision and intelligence into what the users are doing with company property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think even ios has an enterprise setup now though, doesn't it?  I can see the utility of being able to completely control the device, but RIM has been providing that service for over a decade, and look at their numbers now - they basically have one customer keeping them alive, and nobody wants to keep playing that game...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ahhh ... 2.2.? I think. Updates were few and VERY far between and all it did was make it worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What version of Android?

That might be your problem. Try a phone with 4.4.4 or 5 on it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows for phones isn't like Windows for PC's.

It's basically the tile system for apps Windows 8 uses.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.  Its not even a close competitor IMO to Apple or Android.

So apple all the way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done more digging, particularly into the apps department.  Seems even though there are WP apps, they don't seem to be updated very often, if at all. For example Netflix just updated this month, while Youtube hasn't been updated since Oct. 2013.  The same rings true for most of the apps I use daily.  

Think I'll stick with my iOS devices.

See, it was a small war ...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've done more digging, particularly into the apps department.  Seems even though there are WP apps, they don't seem to be updated very often, if at all. For example Netflix just updated this month, while Youtube hasn't been updated since Oct. 2013.  The same rings true for most of the apps I use daily.  

Think I'll stick with my iOS devices.

See, it was a small war ...
View Quote

More of a skirmish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think even ios has an enterprise setup now though, doesn't it?  I can see the utility of being able to completely control the device, but RIM has been providing that service for over a decade, and look at their numbers now - they basically have one customer keeping them alive, and nobody wants to keep playing that game...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

iOS can be managed but only through third party MDM software.  Windows phones it's native.   RIM isn't failing because their phones can be managed, they're dying for other reasons.  Mainly because their phones suck balls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top