Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 8:22:44 PM EDT
Just getting started. Very interested and happy to learn about linux!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.  They're definitely a neat little platform to learn and develop on.  I've been thinking of getting one, but the frugal part of me says I can learn what I want to learn on an old pc I already have sitting around.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome.  They're definitely a neat little platform to learn and develop on.  I've been thinking of getting one, but the frugal part of me says I can learn what I want to learn on an old pc I already have sitting around.
View Quote

This is the truth.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Or you could just load a vm of raspbian on your main pc
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Booooo! Then you can't buy 'toys.'
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to buy one for a class I am taking.  

In total I spent $85.

60 for the pie.  It came in a kit with hdmi, wifi dongle, power supply, case(cheap case btw), and ad card with the os.

And $25 for keyboard and mouse.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one.  Hooked it up, loaded the OS, shut it down....and that was it.  About 10 months ago.

I want to get an Audrino, seems more hardware-learning based.  But, I know I would get one, and fiddle with it for a day or two, and then it would sit on the shelf by the Pi and collect dust!

But....good on ya, OP!  They are a neat little way to learn *nix and programming.  Bit light on the horsepower to do much, but could be a little media server or something hooked up to a large HDD.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting stuff.  Any recommended How-To sites, to get started?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I threw mine away.   It was a piece of crap.   I went through dozens of memory cards as it would corrupt them and render them useless.   It would work fine for a few days then crap out.   I could get it to completely rebuild from a backup and be operational but it was never stable.     I have intel NUCs now that are just a little bit larger and aren't crap.   I don't have time to waste on unreliable hardware.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
http://hanzerik.no-ip.org/

General Info
Hostname Hanzerik-RPi-Server
System Time 22 Oct 2014
12:34:28 MDT
Kernel Linux 3.12.28+
Processor ARMv6 rev 7 (v6l)
CPU Frequency 700MHz
CPU Load 0%
CPU Temperature 42.8°C
Uptime 22 days, 07:29 (hh:mm)

Mine has been going good since I bought it. I use this one as a small home server. The other one has worked well also, just need to find some time between work and family to get Slackware installed on it. Right now it has a default install of Raspbian installed on a 16g card, the other card I have is an 8g that will be used for Slackware.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#13]
What browser are you able to run?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top