Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 5:46:38 PM EDT
My system has been very unstable lately. BSODs, slow down of system, errors trying to locate files and run programs, windows explorer shutting down and restarting, errors in reference unable

to locate this and that, PC recommending frequent disk checking and corrections of disk errors etc. My first thought was that my hard drive is shitting the bed.

Well last night I tried something on a whim. I decided to check the HD data wire...it was a bit loose. Plugged in more firmly. I also reseated my memory stick, making sure they were plugged in right.

That was last night. Not a single error since. Everything seems to work fine now. Before it wouldnt last a few hours before crashing. What was liekly wrong with my system that the steps I took would fix it? I wasnt expecting it to fix it. I would figure that anloose connection would either make the system work...or not. Not work unstably.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
how old is the hard disk?

have you overclocked it?

age?

who made it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suspect poor contact on the memory stick with what you described.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Green WD Caviar.

Two year or so years old. Maube 2.5.

Never overclocked
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Reseating the memory was the probable fix.  Happens all the time to me with older PCs.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Either or both fixed the problems you were seeing.  Intermittent electrical contacts don't help digital things.  One dropped bit and poof.... no worky.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either or both fixed the problems you were seeing.  Intermittent electrical contacts don't help digital things.  One dropped bit and poof.... no worky.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
I would think it would be more of an all or nothing sort of thing.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

At those low voltages, it doesn't take much resistance to make a shitty contact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top