CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5Ghz

MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3

GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R9 270x

HDD: Western Digital 1 TB 5400rpm

PSU: 750W

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

Corsair H90 Liquid CPU Cooler

I figure, not counting a monitor, this will be in the $700-800 range.  Don't want to go much more expensive, but I'm still open to any suggestions.  I haven't built a PC in a very long time.  Would this be a pretty decent build for gaming?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd forego the liquid cooling unless you plan on overclocking. And I don't know why you'd overclock a 3.5 GHz CPU on a gaming rig. I'd also go with a quad core instead of an 8-core CPU (and possibly even a lower clock speed.) Use the savings for a bigger GPU, a bigger PSU, and possibly a 7200 RPM (or even hybrid) hard drive. Also, check this out when selecting a PSU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1925006/power-supply-tiered-list.html
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a very popular tool for you to price your build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd forego the liquid cooling unless you plan on overclocking. And I don't know why you'd overclock a 3.5 GHz CPU on a gaming rig. I'd also go with a quad core instead of an 8-core CPU. Use the savings for a bigger GPU, a bigger PSU, and possibly a 7200 RPM (or even hybrid) hard drive.
View Quote

I'm not sold on hybrid drives.  I, like many others prefer a proven SSD for the operating system and then a 1 TB or better HDD for data.

I own/use a 120GB Samsun 840 Evo and a 240GB Intel 530.  Very happy with both!

eta:  Surely he's good to go on the PSU, although it would be nice if it is modular.  Agree, lose the liquid cooling too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not sold on hybrid drives.
View Quote

I said the same thing for a long time. Then I had one gifted to me a few months back and figured I might as well try it out. I'm pretty well sold.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I said the same thing for a long time. Then I had one gifted to me a few months back and figured I might as well try it out. I'm pretty well sold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah... duh!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You could also save a few bucks on the motherboard if you're not planning on running crossfire and put it toward a bigger GPU.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, yeah... duh!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah... duh!  

By that I mean that odds are that hybrid drives are going into my future builds. The price/performance is right as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips and the two helpful links.  The reason I was going to look at the liquid cooling was that I've seen a couple reviews for that processor that said the supplied heat sink leaves alot to be desired.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips and the two helpful links.  The reason I was going to look at the liquid cooling was that I've seen a couple reviews for that processor that said the supplied heat sink leaves alot to be desired.
View Quote

Eh, like I said, I'd personally go for a lower core count and clock speed on the proc anyway and throw the savings toward a bigger GPU. With a gaming rig, you're generally going to want to throw as much as possible at the GPU, and 4 cores at 3.4 or even 3.2 GHz is going to be more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most aftermarket coolers w/fans should work for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's the plan so far, the only thing I've purchased is the case:

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Mid Tower

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

I figure, not counting a monitor, this will be in the $700-800 range.  Don't want to go much more expensive, but I'm still open to any suggestions.  I haven't built a PC in a very long time.  Would this be a pretty decent build for gaming?

View Quote

Ditch the amd cpu/amd socket motherboard for an intel quad core cpu/intel socket motherboard.  (the specific model doesn't really matter as long as its a 4th gen processor)
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Would the Sapphire R9 280x vapor-x be a decent choice for a GPU upgrade? I'd stick with Asus but the 280x has a lot of reviews complaining about artifacting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ditch the amd cpu/amd socket motherboard for an intel quad core cpu/intel socket motherboard.  (the specific model doesn't really matter as long as its a 4th gen processor)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

Nothing wrong with AMD unless you are reccomending a particular CPU.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find one, I'd go with a GeForce GTX 970, which right now gives the most bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

Not true.  Even the entry level Intel quad core cpu's will run circles around the top amd cpu's.  No reason to go amd when performance and energy consumption are superior with the intel cpu's.  Price differences are negligible as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not true.  Even the entry level Intel quad core cpu's will run circles around the top amd cpu's.  No reason to go amd when performance and energy consumption are superior with the intel cpu's.  Price differences are negligible as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

That's a pretty strong statement.  Can you cite a few specific examples??
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS DVD-RW Drive

Just look at the anandtech reviews of new releases of Intel/amd cpu's.  This is a trend that has been going on for several years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
AMD has really fallen behind.  FYI, the AMD FX-8320 isn't really an 8
core, it only has 4 real cores.  However it still outperforms the new
AMD A10 series that are advertised as 12 core (4 CPU plus 8 GPU) CPU's.

My last three builds have been AMD, but after comparing the benchmark specs for
the new line of AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 core chips, they absolutely suck
compared to the 4th gen Intel i5 and are not even close when it comes
to competitive cost vs. computing power.

Spend an extra $30 for an Intel core i5-4670 or i5-4690 and you will see
a whopping 80% increase in raw processing power over the AMD.  Compare
the benchmarks between the CPU's here, http://www.anandtech.com/bench

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I was originally going to call "bullshit" on the i-series recommendation. The benchmarks don't lie, though. AMD has a slight performance edge on multi-core applications. Otherwise, it's i3 across the board. Last I checked, multi-core generally doesn't cover gaming, though that may have changed in the last few years. Too lazy to confirm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top