Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 3:46:42 PM EDT
My parents' laptop (Lenovo G780) will not boot.  Here is the explanation I was given.  It was operating on battery power and running the screen saver.  My dad went to the area at my brother's house where they were staying while visiting and plugged the power cable into the laptop and then into the wall.  Dad said that there was no noise.  The laptop just instantly shut down.

Believe me when I say that every troubleshooting tip in the Lenovo forums have been attempted.  Even the "push the power button eleven times and hold it in on the eleventh one" idea.  

The battery gets juice enough to charge and the indicator light is working properly.  There are no beep codes.  When a power on is attempted, it indicates power, but the screen remains blank and the CPU fan never moves.  After six seconds, it shuts off.  No matter what method I have tried, after six seconds it shuts off.

My guess is that there is something on the board that is messed up, but I cannot tell what.

My buddy and I tore the laptop apart and could not find any tell-tale burn marks on the board, but we are not always that lucky anyhow.

I am steering toward buying a replacement motherboard and CPU fan.  Any suggestions that differ?

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hook a dvom up to the power supply and make sure it didn't die.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The output is labeled 20v, tests at 20.76 with a Fluke
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
if you have power then yes id say motherboard next. Process of elimination that way.

ETA: when you say blank do you mean white or black.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
How old is it?  Good chance the battery is just TU.  I'd look hard at that before jumping to motherboard problems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is it?  Good chance the battery is just TU.  I'd look hard at that before jumping to motherboard problems.
View Quote

This is a good first step.  I'd try it w/o the battery on just wall power to see what happens.  If you can get access to a different AC adapter it'd be worth trying one just to eliminate that.   I've seen power supplies test good on voltage, but not work and a new PS fixed the issue.

I would also look long and hard at how much money I was getting into when it comes to replacing the MB on a laptop when you're throwing parts at a failure like that.   It might be cheaper in the long run to just replace the whole thing.

edited to add:  I've seen a very similar issue before.  In that case someone plugged in a radically different power supply.  (I think it was a 48v for a Cisco AP into a laptop.)  Are they SURE they plugged in the right AC adapter?

2nd edit:   Another option would be an unlisted option like plugging in a network cable.   I've known people who had digital phone systems in their houses and bad things can happen when you plug a network cable into a RJ45 jack for a phone system thinking it was a network connection.   Did they do ANYTHING other than plug in power?  (If you get the impression I don't believe users, it's because they almost never tell you what happens.  You either have to figure it out on your own, or work it out of them.)
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Often, such symptoms are the result of a short-circuit protection mechanism tripping.  Disassemble the laptop, look for obviously failed/shorted components, and reseat all devices and cables (including flat ribbon cables).

I've brought more than one laptop back to life by just reseating EVERYTHING.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Often, such symptoms are the result of a short-circuit protection mechanism tripping.  Disassemble the laptop, look for obviously failed/shorted components, and reseat all devices and cables (including flat ribbon cables).

View Quote
This is worth a try.

However, it could be the power circuitry took out the motherboard when it failed.

So, now you are replacing a significant portion of the machine.

My bet is your most efficient way through is another laptop and an external drive case to pop the old drive in to get the data off it.

The more you mess with it, the greater chance you do something to screw up what is on the drive _forever_.

Pull the drive while you are messing with it if it the data is important.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is worth a try.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is worth a try.  

However, it could be the power circuitry took out the motherboard when it failed.

So, now you are replacing a significant portion of the machine.

My bet is your most efficient way through is another laptop and an external drive case to pop the old drive in to get the data off it.

The more you mess with it, the greater chance you do something to screw up what is on the drive _forever_.

Pull the drive while you are messing with it if it the data is important.
Both of these posts were where I had placed the weight of my decision before I began.  I am going to reassemble it and see what happens next.

Originally, I had made the purchase for my parents barely over two years ago.  In my arrogance, I did not extend the warranty.  

I labeled the A/C adapter so it would not be mistaken.  My dad said that when the issue began, he used the marked power adapter.

I did try starting without the battery at the very beginning.  I included a friend of mine in on the project and he had a couple dozen attempts at it with and without the battery as well.

Before disassembling it, I did plug the RJ45 and other devices that would normally be plugged in at boot-up, and in several combinations.  I too have seen this on many desktops and laptops that aren't even running bit locker.
I'm thinking about doing this:

1) reassemble and see what happens

2) evaluate the cost of a new board compared to current value and decide if I should get them a new machine

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I am guessing that the motherboard is bad.  I put the whole thing together again (twice to make sure I got all the ribbons in place) and it behaves the same.  

I discussed it with my mother who is ready to move forward with a new one.  No harm, I suppose.  

Thanks to all who attempted to help.  

Also, I did a search for parts for this laptop on Amazon, purely out of curiosity.  My findings were that I could buy all the parts from the same person, but the motherboard was not available for sale.  I'm guessing that this model had a motherboard issue.  Oh, well...

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny but this issue led to me ordering three laptops, one for my mother to replace this one.  Good prices too.  Too bad the deal isn't still on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top