Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
Have a SQL server running on 2008R2 standard.  We were having issues so we doubled the RAM bringing it up to 64GB.  When you look in the properties it says 64GB (32 usable).  After some research I found that Standard only supports 32GB and I need to upgrade to Enterprise.  I usually use CDW, but just got a new rep and she don't seem to know what she's doing.  She said I can't buy Enterprise because it's no longer available (Yet she just sold me another license for 2008 Standard last month).  Is she wrong or am I just screwed?  I don't want to re-install I was hoping to just do something like the "anytime upgrade" that 7 lets you do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
CDW has it for $3000. Server 2012 Standard will run 64GB of RAM.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got some emails at work over the last few weeks.
2008 and 2008 R2 are about to go end of mainstream support (1/13/2015) which is probably why she is telling you it is no longer available.
They quit selling it before mainstream support ends.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+server&Filter=FilterNO

Found the email. We're still supposed to be able to buy it until Dec. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
redhat.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.... But after 20yrs, I've turned in my resignation... I'll let the next guy eff with it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.... But after 20yrs, I've turned in my resignation... I'll let the next guy eff with it!
View Quote

Damn, over SQL Licensing?  Good luck on your next endeavor.

No one has a grasp on licensing these days. FWIW, my company had a "SAM" engagement this year.  For those unfamiliar it is a MS audit that starts out all friendly and "Is not an audit".  You do some system scans, hand over the data, they sort it and say "You use x number of y software, and only z has been purchased under open licensing, so either provide proof of purchase or buy it...or else."  I did not find out what "or else" was.  I delayed the inevitable and eventually had to submit a P.O. for $70K worth of SQL licensing.    In my defense it was all setup long before I was at this job, so I blamed it on the last guy.

Which, in your scenario, is what the next guy will do.

Currently I'm dreaming up ways to do away with replacing a terminal server since I'm looking at $25k worth of licensing just for CALs.  It'd be cheaper to buy individual licenses for each user using the software hosted on said term server.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No one has a grasp on licensing these days. FWIW, my company had a "SAM" engagement this year.  For those unfamiliar it is a MS audit that starts out all friendly and "Is not an audit".  You do some system scans, hand over the data, they sort it and say "You use x number of y software, and only z has been purchased under open licensing, so either provide proof of purchase or buy it...or else."  I did not find out what "or else" was.  I delayed the inevitable and eventually had to submit a P.O. for $70K worth of SQL licensing.    In my defense it was all setup long before I was at this job, so I blamed it on the last guy.

Currently I'm dreaming up ways to do away with replacing a terminal server since I'm looking at $25k worth of licensing just for CALs.  It'd be cheaper to buy individual licenses for each user using the software hosted on said term server.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They sent us one of those letters years ago... We told them we are a two man IT shop covering 5 manufacturing locations and we didn't have time for all of that nonsense.  It worked.... I'm not going to miss IT a bit, I've had enough. LOL

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Zentyal.

Basically an ubuntu server running modules that are designed to replace a basic windows server. Will replace an AD DC, integrate into an AD or replace many other functions.

Easy to use, no need to be a Linux hero to use.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Just mail over the blank check to Microsoft, they'll take care of it :P

At this point you're probably better off just getting a 2012r2 license though. Sucks, but it's the latest now, enjoy metro server edition
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, I do NOT miss the days before my company upgraded to EA licensing.

We pay more in licensing costs yearly than the total salaries of all the IT people in my group.
Top Top