Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 4:04:16 AM EDT
There is a new "hidden network" in the neighborhood. When my modem is on the signal strength is 100% but with it off the signal strength goes to 2 bars. I suspect my son has set up an extra service on my modem.

The normal network still works. I am just suspicious of him because he's resorted to hacking in the past to get more online time.

eta I'm wondering if it is possible for him to have set up a hidden wifi network on my router. The 'normal' wifi works OK.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the question?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm wondering if it is possible for him to have set up a hidden wifi network on my router. The 'normal' wifi works OK.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You are paranoid.

He'd have to have installed Tomato on it and then used an interface that looks like the old one to do this.

More likely, one of your neighbors has a network.

BARS MEAN NOTHING.

Just reset the router to factory default and reconfigure it.

Or, here's a FOOL PROOF way of preventing your internet from being used.  Turn the modem OFF by unplugging the power supply. (Or the cable for that matter.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you log into the router and check?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure MAC filtering is on

But seriously, if you unplug your modem and the network still shows up its just one of your neighbors that set up a new network
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you log into the router and check?
View Quote

Yes but I wasn't quite sure of what I was seeing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If there is a second hidden SSID running on your router it wouldn't interfere with your current one. You would see no change in signal level.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure MAC filtering is on

But seriously, if you unplug your modem and the network still shows up its just one of your neighbors that set up a new network
View Quote

Maybe.  Could also be the son has a wifi access point someplace else in the house.   If there are any network cables plugged into the router that's a possibility.  Put a switch in someplace and add an acess point, or use a router w/ DD-WRT (or Tomato) and set it up as an access point.   It wouldn't be obvious unless you started looking.   The different power levels could be a lot of things and as stated really doesn't mean anything.  

I suspect it's a neighbor though, but it always pays to check if you're suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Some routers have the option to view which IP addresses are in use on the wired and wireless side.  If there's more addresses used than there are known devices, there's your answer.

Edit to add: if you set aside a couple of addresses outside the DHCP range, they might not show, since they weren't handed out by the router.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top