Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 5:21:36 AM EDT
I have an old hard drive (PATA) from an 2003ish Toshiba laptop. The motherboard crashed in 2010 so I removed the hard drive and I've had it since. It's the only hard drive that has my honeymoon pictures on it. As far as I knew, the HD was still fine.  I bought a SATA/PATA/IDE to USB interface cable and hooked it up yesterday. It looked like it was going to work then stopped. The hard drive had a little bit of a click but it didnt seem like a typical death click. Anyhow, after several attempts to dock the HD with the computer failed I took the cover off the HD and the platter has a nice scratch near the middle of it. The heads are damaged I guess. Is my old HD fubar or could I transplant a set of heads and possibly still access at least some of the data on the drive?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is you're out of luck.  Drive head->platter tolerances and geometry are extraordinarily precise; probably not something you're going to be able to reproduce on a garage workbench.  They also operate in a sterile, dust-free environment which you compromised when you popped open the drive cover, and dust particles will wreak havoc between the heads and platter if you can even get the thing to spin back up.

Depending on how valuable the pictures are to you, there are data recovery services out there that may be able to get at least some of it back for you.  But it ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Taking the cover off pretty much guarantees that you won't be recovering anything. You might be able to get something recovered if you paid a professional.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taking the cover off pretty much guarantees that you won't be recovering anything. You might be able to get something recovered if you paid a professional.
View Quote
I'm a maintenance tech at a gov't facillity. We have a clean room and the proper tools which is where this was done. We just don't have anyone here who specializes in computers and I'm not a bench tech (we are all PLC guys). It's not a big deal if I don't recover the pictures, we have plenty that were uploaded to FB and photobucket. Taking the cover off was more of a last ditch resort and come to find out the head(s) are jacked up along with the platter.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm a maintenance tech at an gov't facillity. We have a clean room and the proper tools which is where this was done. We just don't have anyone here who specializes in computers and I'm not a bench tech (we are all PLC guys). It's not a big deal if I don't recover the pictures, we have plenty that were uploaded to FB and photobucket. Taking the cover off was more of a last ditch resort and come to find out the head(s) are jacked up along with the platter.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a maintenance tech at an gov't facillity. We have a clean room and the proper tools which is where this was done. We just don't have anyone here who specializes in computers and I'm not a bench tech (we are all PLC guys). It's not a big deal if I don't recover the pictures, we have plenty that were uploaded to FB and photobucket. Taking the cover off was more of a last ditch resort and come to find out the head(s) are jacked up along with the platter.  
Disregard, then.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Disregard, then.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disregard, then.  
It's alright, I just didn't want y'all getting the idea that I had literally no clue as to what I was doing

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
It takes more than just a clean room.  As was said the positioning is highly precise and you have to have a lot of special tools to do the alignment.  You want those pictures back, you're going to have to pay for data recovery.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I decided to not screw with it anymore. The pics will die with the HD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top