Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 9:29:08 AM EDT
Not sure that's up with this but both Internet Explorer and Firefox provide ads, events, etc for Ontario Canada. I'm in Upstate NY.

This is a company PC so I am a bit restricted on what I can access and change. However I do know that the IP is listed as Georgia (USA.)

I've cleared cookies and cache, tried turning off proxy server, rebooted, no viruses, no malware, etc.

Any suggestions? It's really just an inconvenience but I have to shop around for prices so the fact that sites like staples or lowes auto detects the zip code as Ontario Canda or Georgia is a bit of a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Get out of Tim Horton's.  

Or disconnect your VPN, or something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]
First, if the company proxy / VPN is routing you through somewhere, that may be it. Second, some IP geolocation (that those location aware things use) isn't that great, so either the one telling you it's Georgia (USA) is off, or the one telling you it's Canada is off. Canada is closer to upstate NY than GA is though

Usually these sites let you set a language / origin (look for a little flag icon or EN/ES/FR links) that should get saved in cookies and those sites will then set your origin to En/US on future visits.

I have a large ISP, and when my modem resets occasionally I am allocated an IP that geolocates to Canada as well. All of a sudden half the videos on youtube won't play
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Your company's internet gateway is probably in a Canadian datacenter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top