Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 1:11:31 PM EDT
A friend and colleague who is a Mac (and security) enthusiast recently posted the following link to his Facebook:

1Password on sale, again!

I'm probably about to the point where I need a password manager...

I currently keep all of my accounts usernames+passwords in an encrypted Notepad document in my Dropbox.

It has worked for a lot of years, but it has also gotten unwieldy.

His advice was that 1Password was more for Apple (Mac+iOS) folks.

He stated that he sometimes used the 1Password app for iOS to login to password sites, but that he actually creates and manages 100% of his passwords on the Mac version.

It would be similar for me, except I am in a PC environment, not Mac.

My main platform (for which I would need a password mgr) is my Windows PC at work. My secondary platform (for which I would need a password mgr) is my Android tablet.

For whatever reason, I almost never venture to password-protected sites from my iPhone or iPad.

I have been looking at (and considering) the following password managers, in this order:
  1. Dashlane (PC Mag review; free on PC, free Android app, free iOS app)

2. LastPass (PC Mag review); free on PC, free Android app, 'free' iOS app)

3. 1Password (PC Mag Review); $50 on PC, free Android app, $10 iOS app)

Any advice you could give (including recommendations for sites/services/apps I haven't considered) for someone in my particular set of circumstances* would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

*primarily PC user (Chrome browser), would also be accessing some of these sites via my Nexus 7 Android tablet (preferably via the Chrome Browser on my tablet, but I know some of these password managers have proprietary in-app browsers and that's cool, too)
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not mac or iDevice competent, so I cannot speak to 1password, but I have a bit of experience lastpass, dashlane, and various other password managers.

Dashlane was a great service, but the free service is one device only, if you want to sync passwords to multiple devices you have to get their premium service, which I was ok with... until I saw they do not support linux, and despite their claims it doesn't look like they are going to.

Lastpass is also a very good service, cross platform support, and absolutely free, but I don't use them because they hold the key to my passwords. For my purposes that is not acceptable.

I use keepass2 with the keefox addon, and sync between my devices with a free cloud storage system. There is also a chrome plugin if that's your thing. If you need to use it on linux, it runs great with mono. There are also apps for android, iDevices, and windows phones. By far keepass has the most platforms supported than any other password manager out there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy enough with dashlane.  Works well on PC and the Android version works fine too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use keepass2 with the keefox addon, and sync between my devices with a free cloud storage system. There is also a chrome plugin if that's your thing. If you need to use it on linux, it runs great with mono. There are also apps for android, iDevices, and windows phones. By far keepass has the most platforms supported than any other password manager out there.
View Quote
This as well for me, works great.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Keepass on my PC and Android phone.  I just keep a copy of my database in my google drive and sync it whenever I make any changes (not very often)
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Keepass 2 I use it for personal and at the office
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 1Password on Mac, Windows, and the reader app on Android.  It works great.  I also use DropBox to synchronize the vault files so that I can keep them in-sync.

ETA:  The Android app is only a reader.  You can't create new logins from your phone but it can read all of the others.

Having used KeePass, LastPass, and a few of the others I find myself always coming back to 1Password.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Journal style ledger book for my password manager and a big old safe.

I would never trust all my password to anyone or anything else but me.

Just not smart to do so, no matter how secure they tell you they are.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless they changed it recently, LastPass is a free app download on Android BUT you have to have a yearly subscription for it to work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I use last pass on home, work PC's and on my android phone. I love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I use a Journal style ledger book for my password manager and a big old safe.

I would never trust all my password to anyone or anything else but me.

Just not smart to do so, no matter how secure they tell you they are.
View Quote
What would you do if you're travelling and needed a password?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Count me in for this one as well.

I have been very pleased with keepass so far, especially with all of the features it offers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top