Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 5:15:46 PM EDT
(Alternate title could be; An AR guy in AK land...)

So...long story short, what do I need to know?  It is a 1st gen unit (mid 2007 production), exc shape, with mag charger, but it wont boot (...looks like a crapped out HD).  None of the google/youtube suggested command key combos did anything.  I can get to a Linux/DOS like shell if I want to though.  BUT...I know less than zero about these granola powered devices.

So...can I throw in a fresh 7200 rpm 500gb notebook HD and a new OS and rock it like a hipster, or is there something more to it?

Battery charges and tests just fine.  Screen and condition are perfect.  Should I use it as a spare laptop and play in Apple land, or hit it with a bunch of five five six?

Also I think the fans are clogged with cat hair and unicorn dander.  Seems to get REALLY warm on attempted boot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard drive replacement:  https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+Duo+Model+A1150+Hard+Drive+Replacement/486

Blow out the dust while you have it disassembled.  With that amount of disassembly, I'd drop a cheap SSD in it.

Looks like the 2007 models will support OSX up through the current version:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#1st_generation

The quick and easy solution is to find someone with a 10.6 retail disk you can use to get the machine up and running, then upgrade to the current version through the App Store.  You might want to throw some more RAM in it too, depending on how much it currently has.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the battery is good.

Other World Computing is a good source (may not be the cheapest but everything is in one place) for Mac Book Pro batteries, HDD's, Apple memory, chargers, SDD's (I'd go with a SSD if you can afford it).

ETA: The command prompt you get to is a bare Unix prompt (the basis of OSX and Linux).
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Good advice guys, thanks.  I'll swap in a fresh CMOS battery while I am at it.

Took it apart, it had a 4gb module in it.  I thought this model only supported 2gb.  Previous owner threw in a 500gb 7200rpm Hitachi, but I have a spare 120gn SSD that will go in.

Now I have to score a OS X disk.

In testing the CD tray while booting, I stuck a blank CD in, but the eject command/key combo is not responsive.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Hold the mouse button down while booting.  The CD should eject.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  That did the trick.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
It lives.  It needed a new battery and a fresh OS install.  I had some spare compatible memory and threw in a larger faster HD.  4gb of Ram and reused the 7200 rpm 500gb HD, after I confirmed it was good.  A little legwork and $60 total investment.  Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Interesting thing about Macs;  Pretty intuitive, and I have yet to wear a beret or sip chai tea with my pinky extended.  I am enjoying playing around with the thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Good deal.  Now fire up Terminal and get yer Unix on.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It lives.  It needed a new battery and a fresh OS install.  I had some spare compatible memory and threw in a larger faster HD.  4gb of Ram and reused the 7200 rpm 500gb HD, after I confirmed it was good.  A little legwork and $60 total investment.  Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Interesting thing about Macs;  Pretty intuitive, and I have yet to wear a beret or sip chai tea with my pinky extended.  I am enjoying playing around with the thing.
View Quote

I've got cowboy boots on as I type on mine…besides the customer service, the Unix base is just a plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top