Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 9:54:28 AM EDT
I have a Samsung Galaxy Captivate that I bought used almost 2 years ago, and as much as I love the design and form factor, it just doesn't have enough ass to run the latest revisions of a lot of apps.  It's been rooted and running CM, so I could try for a more lightweigh ROM, but that is basically delaying the inevitable.So it's time to look for an upgrade.  BUT, I'm cheap, and I don't need to be at the bleeding edge. So, recommend me the best value in previous generation smartphones that I can pick up off Craigslist or Ebay.  Parameters:

Network: ATT
OS: Android (for all the folks who are going to recommend an I-phone, go bump your thread count in the YLYL thread - they need to get to 1000 pages)
Uses: Phone, web browsing, occasional GPS and music playing
Preferences: Similar form factor (thin, 5" diag. screen), good battery life, replaceable battery, easy to root.

Aaaand GO!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Samsung S3's are cheap now, I would imagine S4s are too.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Nexus 5 baby!

I love mine, and it only costs around $200-250 used right now. I bought one off craigslist from a woman who got a free phone from her job.

You get pure, unadulterated android with none of the additional interfaces from other companies like Samsung.

The only thing it doesn't meet from your list of requirements is the removable battery. If that and an SD card slot are requirements, then I would go with a Galaxy S4.

The Nexus 4 was made to compete the with Galaxy S4, and the Nexus 5 was made to compete with the S5. I like the Galaxy S5 a lot. It has a slightly bigger screen along with the fingerprint scanner, removable SD card, removable battery, and IR remote, but those are unnecessary features for me.

I just wanted a simple phone with pure android for a decent price... but still with quality internals. The Nexus 5 is perfect for my needs. Also, it has a good graphics chip and 2gb of ram like the S5. Pure android runs like the cat's meow on it, too.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nexus 5 baby!

I love mine, and it only costs around $200-250 used right now. I bought one off craigslist from a woman who got a free phone from her job.

You get pure, unadulterated android with none of the additional interfaces from other companies like Samsung.

The only thing it doesn't meet from your list of requirements is the removable battery. If that and an SD card slot are requirements, then I would go with a Galaxy S4.

The Nexus 4 was made to compete the with Galaxy S4, and the Nexus 5 was made to compete with the S5. I like the Galaxy S5 a lot. It has a slightly bigger screen along with the fingerprint scanner, removable SD card, removable battery, and IR remote, but those are unnecessary features for me.

I just wanted a simple phone with pure android for a decent price... but still with quality internals. The Nexus 5 is perfect for my needs. Also, it has a good graphics chip and 2gb of ram like the S5. Pure android runs like the cat's meow on it, too.

View Quote

It was a coworker's Nexus 5 that got me thinking about a new phone.  But no SD card slot?  Really?  That seems odd.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nexus 5 baby!

It was a coworker's Nexus 5 that got me thinking about a new phone.  But no SD card slot?  Really?  That seems odd.

I bought a 32GB nexus 5 (new) straight from google for $399. Working with any of the US carriers was a bonus in case I get sick of paying Sprint.

I never really needed the SD card slot on my S3 or Evo before that.  Of course I have a 120GB mp3 player so I don't store music (or drain the battery) using my phone to play music.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
HTC One (M7) - current is the M8
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7" screen though)
Nexus 5
If you are lucky enough to know anybody with an invite, One+ One
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Moto G with LTE.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 5
View Quote

The One+ looks perfect, except I was hoping to get my price point below $200.  *Substantially* below.  I don't mind going 2 generations back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Need an invite to buy a phone?  That is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The One+ looks perfect, except I was hoping to get my price point below $200.  *Substantially* below.  I don't mind going 2 generations back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 5

Going back 2 generations.

Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I had bought a iPhone 3G at Walmart for $0.99 with a two year contract (I get 15% discount on an enterprise account).

I traded it in two years later for $100 "credit" which I applied towards my current iPhone 4S.

Carrier is AT&T
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using a Nokia Lumia 521, which is a windows phone. It works for me, and it only cost $50 new.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm using a Nokia Lumia 521, which is a windows phone. It works for me, and it only cost $50 new.
View Quote

One of my co-workers recently got a Windows phone.  He says it runs 8.1 and he loves it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One of my co-workers recently got a Windows phone.  He says it runs 8.1 and he loves it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like mine, it does what I need and not for a enormous amount of money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had bought a iPhone 3G at Walmart for $0.99 with a two year contract (I get 15% discount on an enterprise account).

I traded it in two years later for $100 "credit" which I applied towards my current iPhone 4S.

Carrier is AT&T
View Quote

Oh, ATT has been bugging me to "upgrade" for a while at very attractive rates - until you realize that as soon as I change plans in any way I lose unlimited data.

As for Windows phone, I hated Microsoft from the days when I couldn't figure out why MS-DOS used a backslash unlike EVERYONE else in the world who used a forward slash.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw the Galaxy S4 for about free and the HTC M8 for $100 in today's BestBuy ad.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, ATT has been bugging me to "upgrade" for a while at very attractive rates - until you realize that as soon as I change plans in any way I lose unlimited data.

As for Windows phone, I hated Microsoft from the days when I couldn't figure out why MS-DOS used a backslash unlike EVERYONE else in the world who used a forward slash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carrier is AT&T

Because when IBM wrote DOS they already used the forwardslash for their switches.  So you can recall all the hate that you have for MS and direct it to IBM.  Plus something tells me your computer runs Windows
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't hesitate to get an S3. Fairly cheap now, meets your requirements. If you're handy with a screwdriver, replacement parts are cheap and the phone is super easy to repair.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because when IBM wrote DOS they already used the forwardslash for their switches.  So you can recall all the hate that you have for MS and direct it to IBM.  Plus something tells me your computer runs Windows
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carrier is AT&T

IBM wrote MS-DOS?  Sure about that?

And sure, I use MS products - because I am effectively forced to.  When work tells me that I must use an MS phone, I'll use one.  Otherwise, fuckem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Information I have read indicated Tim Patterson wrote PC-DOS, and sold it to Bill Gates for 50k.  Gates then licensed it to IBM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top