Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 5:14:52 PM EDT
This year we bought our children a Windows 8 computer which I immediately setup with Family Safety... I was very rigorous in setting it up and I figured we were nicely protected.  Shortly it became apparent that they were getting around the controls somehow.  Long story short, after way too much time wasted resetting the Family Safety settings and getting frustrated that it simply was not working. Finally I discovered (and my children finally admitted) that by simply putting the computer into sleep instead of logging off/shutting down, this caused Family Safety to 'break'.  So our kids were doing that before before going to bed, then waking up in the middle of the night and they could wake the computer and everything would work.  No login required.  Curfews were not being enforced.  Log on time limits didn't work either.  Weekly Activity reports were not even logging the websites visited!
View Quote

Link

Short story: Putting the computer into Windows Sleep Mode bypasses the parental controls. This has been an issue with my teenaged son; he's now blocked from the computer altogether.

Another method:
Simple but tested.  By locking the computer a few minutes before the time limit is up and waiting until the time has passed.  Then unlocking the system the child can stay on the system as long as they like.  They can also log off and back on and it resets the time limit again.  This is not the behavior I expected from Windows 8 parental controls.  I would have expected locking the computer would pause the time limit since the child was not really on the system during the lock time.  Once the child unlock the system the time should pick up where it left off then logging them out once the allotted amount of time had been reached.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

This year we bought our children a Windows 8 computer which I immediately setup with Family Safety... I was very rigorous in setting it up and I figured we were nicely protected.  Shortly it became apparent that they were getting around the controls somehow.  Long story short, after way too much time wasted resetting the Family Safety settings and getting frustrated that it simply was not working. Finally I discovered (and my children finally admitted) that by simply putting the computer into sleep instead of logging off/shutting down, this caused Family Safety to 'break'.  So our kids were doing that before before going to bed, then waking up in the middle of the night and they could wake the computer and everything would work.  No login required.  Curfews were not being enforced.  Log on time limits didn't work either.  Weekly Activity reports were not even logging the websites visited!
View Quote

Link

Short story: Putting the computer into Windows Sleep Mode bypasses the parental controls. This has been an issue with my teenaged son; he's now blocked from the computer altogether.

Another method:

Simple but tested.  By locking the computer a few minutes before the time limit is up and waiting until the time has passed.  Then unlocking the system the child can stay on the system as long as they like.  They can also log off and back on and it resets the time limit again.  This is not the behavior I expected from Windows 8 parental controls.  I would have expected locking the computer would pause the time limit since the child was not really on the system during the lock time.  Once the child unlock the system the time should pick up where it left off then logging them out once the allotted amount of time had been reached.
View Quote
View Quote
K9 Web protection, its free and gets rid of all those issues.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top