Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 1:35:31 PM EDT
I guess this topic fits here.

Is the position of closed captioning on a TV a function of the brand of TV or is it a 'broadcast' standard? I ask because it always seems that the captioning is always in the way of the video content. On my particular TV, a Vizio, the text appears either at the top of the screen or at the bottom but there is always more room for it to be higher, or lower. If it were positioned at either extreme a lot more of the video content would be obscured.

As it is the text really gets in the way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Family member needs the captioning. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
the encoding is standardized.
sort of like email.
how you see it depends on what they do with the decoding. but each system receives the same data.

again like email.

outlook display's it one way, browser based email displays it a different way again. etc..

I am unaware of any way to fix the position of the text being displayed.
but if you figure it out let me know.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably have to buy another TV!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know that any are better than another in that regard.
you might have to take a home dvr that has a recording on it and play it back on different tv's at the store to see if it does anything different. so you know how it acts on yours and see if it is different.
or how sometimes they have all the tv's tuned to a station, have them turn on cc on them all
see what they look like.

while it is important to you, very few tv's even note this feature beyond they support it. I have never seen much documentation on how they display it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top