Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 6:23:11 AM EDT
Need some advise on home routers regard reliability.

Current service is just home use on a low speed connection (1-3mb rural RF connection).  Typical stuff like iPads, laptops and AV stuff.  Nothing demanding.

My issue is that I'm basically only getting about a year to 18 months of life till the router starts to go flaky with dropped connections, wifi resets, and such.  I'm using both wireless and hardwire and both seem to flake out at the same time.  I'm now using your typical Linksys, Netgear or other consumer brand from WallyWorld, Best Buy, etc.  The router diagnostics typically don't give me any errors or hint that it's going bad.  Everything just magically gets better after replacement.

Just trying to see if there is something better I could buy to get 2 yrs or more out of instead of a new one every year or so.  It's not that the $50 is breaking my wallet, but it's the two days of reconfiguring everything and such AFTER I figure out it's going bad - which is usually the harder part.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If your old ROUTER (not the wireless function, but the part that hands out IPs to your devices) is still functional, turn off its wireless function and get a ubiquiti wireless access point.  Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0CD6551

I went from the best buy type wireless router combos to one like that (i got the long range version) and was blown away by the increase in speed and reliability.  

When installed that one looks like a smoke detector.  They also make wall mounted ones too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
2 thoughts.
heat and dust kills.
where are you putting these things that they die in under 2 years?
most don't have fans in them, but still vent air. consider some preventitive maintence? blow them out, put them in a cooler spot but off the floor so they don't suck up dust.

consider another brand, or even step up to a enterprise level router? might be a bit more, but it should be more robust. for other brands I have liked buffalo routers. I own like 4 of them.
had only one die early. the rest got replaced when I needed more speed. a couple have been running over 8 years, where I can still live with g being the fastest wireless.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 thoughts.
heat and dust kills.
most don't have fans in them, but still vent air. consider some preventitive maintence? blow them out, put them in a cooler spot but off the floor so they don't suck up dust.

consider another brand, or even step up to a enterprise level router? might be a bit more, but it should be more robust. for other brands I have liked buffalo routers. I own like 4 of them.
had only one die early. the rest got replaced when I needed more speed. a couple have been running over 8 years, where I can still live with g being the fastest wireless.
View Quote

Current location is on the TV stand out in the open.  Incidental dust is the only issue as I'm kind of a neat freak about that.  Not major dust bunnies or anything for sure.  Temperature is as good as it can get too.  It's out in the open with full ventilation.

I'm fully open to spending higher $$'s on better hardware.  Just not looking to go the $1,000 Cisco path.  . All recommendations are welcome.

The Buffalo stuff looks interesting.  Never heard of it before.  Are you using the N300 series stuff or which?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Current location is on the TV stand out in the open.  Incidental dust is the only issue as I'm kind of a neat freak about that.  Not major dust bunnies or anything for sure.  Temperature is as good as it can get too.  It's out in the open with full ventilation.

I'm fully open to spending higher $$'s on better hardware.  Just not looking to go the $1,000 Cisco path.  . All recommendations are welcome.

The Buffalo stuff looks interesting.  Never heard of it before.  Are you using the N300 series stuff or which?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 thoughts.

heat and dust kills.

No direct sunlight?  That will also kill a router.

How is the power?  Is it on a good quality surge protector?  One thing you can do to increase it's lifespan, is turn it off when you aren't using the internet.  I used to have mine on one of those lamp-timers to have it off when I wasn't at home or was most assuredly asleep.  That helps keep kids from using the internet all night as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-HighPower-Wireless-WHR-300HP/dp/B0096239EC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405538351&sr=8-1&keywords=buffalo+router

this is the one I have right now.
it is little over 2 years old.
edit to add: I remember why I replaced it. lightning strike ate the port. plus all my nic card ports on all pc's plugged in.

the last one I think dropped a port, but didn't have any wifi issues.
I have a few others as I said that are older.

I know I found that I had bought one back in 07 that is still running. I know I have one older than that that is a G that links the upstairs to downstairs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
CradlePoint

I use an MBR1400.

Geared towards business/remote office.  

Very flexible and rock solid... especially if you want to manage multiple WAN connections.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know what exact router you are using today but you could try and flash it with dd wrt - new firmware that probably offers a lot more functionality if it isn't a hardware issue
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The sun may be an issue.  I'll have to see about relocating as it does get direct sunlight during the winter months when the sun dips lower.

Surge protection should not be an issue.  I don't have your typical $20 MOV strip.  Brick Wall

I'm looking at the Cradlepoint stuff and the Buffalo WZR-300HP.  Not sure I need to move up to an AC level device since I've got a fairly low speed connection.  The Buffalo WZR seems to offer everything I would need and the open source software also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried replacing the wall-wart, or opening up the router to see if any caps have failed?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had 2 routers in the last 10 years.  Both sit in the same place getting sun through a window half the day.  Never blow the dust out either.  My first one was so sun faded the colors were completely different

When your old one's "go bad" do you try resetting them completely to factory defaults and see if they work better?  Some times things just need a refresh

Other than that I would invest in a nice UPS.  Your power may not be very good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You could build your own using pfsense or buy one of their ready made appliances.  I have one running on an Atom 330 processor that has been going strong for 4 years now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
pfsense on an old pc.

ubiquity unifi ap for wireless access.

done, will last years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top