Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
ETA fixed now thanks for the help.

So I am trying to fix my dads computer, and movie maker.  He has a host of problems
First he had an error code when you tried to open WMM,  I googled the code and got on windows site and got that one to go away.  I booted into clean mode, which is kind of like safe mode in windows 7, then reinstalled WMM 11 from their web site.  It still won't open up, but at least now I have a different error code.  Only problem is Google can't seem to find any information on 0xC945002F

I also ran a windows fix it service from microsofts support website since he had 6 win 7 updates that would not install.  After completing this they installed.

Also of note is the recovery drive is filled to max capacity.  I think this may be the cause of issues due to windows wanting to create a restore point, but not having sufficient room to do so.  I wanted to consult the hive before clearing it out, as maybe just using a restore point would be the best solution to this problem.

Also he said 2 months ago he took it into a shop and they found 37 viruses.  I currently have AVG installed on his machine that is only 6 months old.  I don't know if he actually scans or updates the program though.

I know it is a lot, but if anyone has any pointers or even a link to where to go to it would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you do anything else, check that AVG is up to date and do a full scan, then do another scan with Malwarebytes (the free version will be fine). If the problems are related to a virus there's no point trying to fix it without finding the virus first!

After that, run 'sfc /scannow' to check the major system files are ok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, the malware bytes picked some stuff up and I also found out that his backup software was backing up to the restore drive, not the external drive he bought.

Between those two and uninstalling and reinstalling I got it working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top