Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 3:50:30 PM EDT
Gotta say that is a vicious market, so not keeping up certainly bit them in the ass.  But the Bowens mount works great for a lot of stuff.  

Thankfully a lot of companies make modifiers, etc with that pattern, so even if they go under gear will still be available.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.  They dead.  For what it's worth, I've never handled a Bowens product, they aren't even carried up here.  Mostly just Wescott and the like.  BUT my Godox stuff has been phenomenal.  Shame to see a big lighting company go down, but if they can't compete, they can't compete.

the company says. Companies like Godox, Phottix, Jinbei, Meike, and Yongnuo — some of which have served as OEM manufacturers for Western brands — have been able to eat into the market share of the lighting market by offering comparable products with competitive features at significantly cheaper prices.
Instead of producing equipment for popular brands, these Chinese companies are now marketing their own brands and selling directly to photographers, cutting out middlemen and price markups.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/20/bowens-yes-dead-chinese-brands-killed-us/
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a bummer, but it sounds like they were bought by a company that didn't value their contribution.  Thus, they weren't willing to invest in the brand, either to innovate or find ways to reduce costs.  Glazer's locally used to stock a ton of Bowens stuff, and I always wanted some of their monolights.  But with the ever increasing versatility of speedligths (power, portability, accessories), big studio-limited lights didn't make sense for me.  Plus, I'm just a hack-hobbyist, with zero actual need for the big lights.

But if I decide I want those lights, there are a ton of decent quality, value priced options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top