Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 4:35:40 PM EDT
OC Sunset by Robert Mc, on Flickr

Sky seems to be a bit too saturated. Trying to reduce it but scratching my head.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I would try cropping all the houses out of the bottom. The lines lead away from the sunset. Also there is no need to have the horizon in the middle.

The processing is up to you.  What did you "see" when you took the photo?  What do you want to convey?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a cool sunset on a coastal Town. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
For me the lines lead *to* the sunset.  

I like the houses in the photo.  Without them, it would be just a generic water/sunset photo that I've seen a thousand or more times.  Just my opinion.  Why do you think it might be too "artsy fartsy?"  While I don't know that I'd hang it up in a prominent place in my house, I think it is a well executed photo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me the lines lead *to* the sunset.  

I like the houses in the photo.  Without them, it would be just a generic water/sunset photo that I've seen a thousand or more times.  Just my opinion.  Why do you think it might be too "artsy fartsy?"  While I don't know that I'd hang it up in a prominent place in my house, I think it is a well executed photo.
View Quote
The sunset section of the picture looks a bit too cartoonish.  I tried to tone it down in lightroom, but couldn't come up with the right settings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The sunset section of the picture looks a bit too cartoonish.  I tried to tone it down in lightroom, but couldn't come up with the right settings.
View Quote
Try a radial filter on the sun and bring down saturation.  Fiddle with vibrance, but I've found saturation will turn primary colors into cartoons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If you raise the shadows it should brighten up the houses which may balance better with the sunset. Depends what look you are going for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try a radial filter on the sun and bring down saturation.  Fiddle with vibrance, but I've found saturation will turn primary colors into cartoons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2616.1 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

Looks a bit better near the sun,

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Short post since I'm sick as fuck today.  Thought this might be useful.

http://www.diyphotography.net/enhance-colors-sunset-photos-single-layer-get-optimal-results/
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Short post since I'm sick as fuck today.  Thought this might be useful.

http://www.diyphotography.net/enhance-colors-sunset-photos-single-layer-get-optimal-results/
View Quote
I'll check it out, thanks.

(And I bookmarked that website)
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Aw hell.  Because this thread is just crying out for another sunset picture.

Sunset 20170219 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Now you've gone and done it

ETA; back in the days of film
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]

The inverse square law did scientific stuff with film
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top