Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 12:49:33 PM EDT
Ok so I mainly do nature photographs, landscapes, plants and I really like to photograph insects. Anyway I've been out of things for a while but I decided to I wanted to do a family history type photo with all the related stuff I have from my family members who served through WW1, WW2 and the cold war. I piled everything up and took some shots but I really can't decide on a composition of how I want to lay things out or some cool shots to take so I was hoping you could help me out? Please note the two images attached are not supposed to be final or a general idea of what I am going for. I honestly don't know what I want other than some vague idea. Again I don't usually take pictures of "things" like this. So any thoughts, tips or pointers are most appreciated.

Please excuse the crappiness of the pics they are merely meant to illustrate the things I want to photograph.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Less is more.
What do you want to show in the photo?
What distracts, or leads the eye away from that?

Is the photo about the vet? the guns? mans inhumanity to man? what do you want the photo be about?
Thats what you show.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Less is more.
View Quote
You know, this is exactly what I thought when I first saw those test shots.  They look too cluttered to me.

I think something simple, like the shadow box, one firearm, and the cover, would be more visually appealing. Maybe a series of pictures, instead of just one or two.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Actually I didn't consider that but I think a series would be nice. I don't know why that never occurred to me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The best... steal.

Go look at some pictures of similar topics on google images, then figure out how to make your own impression of them.

I've never done it myself, excepting ebay auctions, but I'd suggest using something topic related as a backdrop, like a uniform jacket, or a blanket in that pattern. Then I'd start building geometric shapes with the items. As others have said, lines leading the eye into the frame, or out of it. Framing that suggests motion, or that helps to tell a story. What story are you telling? Is there a detail you want to highlight? Shoot some in natural light, others in off camera flash. Maybe strong, contrasty lighting.

Then shoot the piss out of it, and after a day to purge your head, go back and look at what you shot like you paid someone else to do it. What did they (you) do that you don't like? What did?

Then, refine the technique and do it again.

ART!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top