Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 2:36:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for any particular Photoshop course? Over the next three or four months I'm going to have a lot of free time that I need to fill. I figured some of this can be spent refining my skills.

I've been using Photoshop and Lightroom for 5+ years, and while I'm competent with the programs, they are capable of exceptionally more than I'm able to do.

I'm looking for something that is an instructional course, and would prefer something that give you files to work with and "follow along".

Is Kelby One the best option? Any feedback on it?

Any recommendations for something similar but with an emphasis on Graphic Design/Illustrator.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I just watch a ton of stuff on youtube and pick one of my similar photos to try it out.  Phlearn and Tutvid have some good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I just watch a ton of stuff on youtube and pick one of my similar photos to try it out.  Phlearn and Tutvid have some good stuff.
View Quote
I've been doing that up to this point, and it's been super helpful, I just think that I would benefit from linear instruction.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago I learned with "photoshop wow" it came with a cd and you did exercises and built your skills up.
I also had an adobe book that was a how to with a Cd and lessons. That is what I started with back in '95
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at your local community college or tech school.  I pick up 2 Photography night classes this semester.  They were 1 night 4 hrs long each.  Cost for me  was $25.00 each.   I am a old fart so I got the old fart discount.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been doing that up to this point, and it's been super helpful, I just think that I would benefit from linear instruction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think PS lends itself to linear instruction

learning what you need to know - as you need to know and implement it -  is most effective IMHO

example - if you need to edit landscapes, there's virtually nothing about portrait retouching that will be of much use to you
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for any particular Photoshop course? Over the next three or four months I'm going to have a lot of free time that I need to fill. I figured some of this can be spent refining my skills.

I've been using Photoshop and Lightroom for 5+ years, and while I'm competent with the programs, they are capable of exceptionally more than I'm able to do.

Any recommendations for something similar but with an emphasis on Graphic Design/Illustrator.
View Quote

A couple comments/suggestions.

Skip going deeper into PS. If you have been using it for 5 years (for general photo stuff) and are looking at Design, you really, really need to learn Illustrator.

Don't get me wrong, learning how to successfully edit, remove, or create compositions in PS will be worthwhile, but you will spend 95% of your time creating in Illustrator.

For linear (long) courses I would recommend Lynda.com.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A couple comments/suggestions.

Skip going deeper into PS. If you have been using it for 5 years (for general photo stuff) and are looking at Design, you really, really need to learn Illustrator.

Don't get me wrong, learning how to successfully edit, remove, or create compositions in PS will be worthwhile, but you will spend 95% of your time creating in Illustrator.

For linear (long) courses I would recommend Lynda.com.
View Quote
Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm actually looking at advancing both skills, in separate manners(editing photos better in photoshop, doing design in Illustrator).

The few times I've used illustrator it was apparent to me I had no idea what I was doing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

learning what you need to know - as you need to know and implement it -  is most effective IMHO

example - if you need to edit landscapes, there's virtually nothing about portrait retouching that will be of much use to you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Photoshop is one of the most difficult programs to learn. No fast learning curve that I know.
In addition to skills with the brush, there are filters, layers and masks to learn. Plus changing from RGB to LAB color can make an entirely new set of problems and scenarios.
A text on masks, another on filters and layers, and another on LAB color together can get you up and running.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been watching phlearn on YouTube.  His videos are explained clearly and to the point.  I know he also offers longer paid courses on his website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top